Return to home failure -My Phantom is a wreck :(

Reaction score
Lost connection with my Phantom. It returned to home, but stopped and stayed hoovering ~70m over my head, and then dropped like a brick...sadly it missed the soft grass, and hit a stone....My baby is a wreck :eek:

Need: New Spironet antenna, 4 Graupner props, battery AND an new Phantom chassis! :(

Return to home AND land was ok several times without any issues...BUT upgraded to the New firmware on the Naza last night! :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 865
Unfortunately the shells seem to be on back order everywhere. I preordered one from heli-world so as soon as they get a shipment mine should be on the way:

http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=1105

Sorry to hear about your crash. I had a similar experience and luckily all I needed was a new motor and new props. One of the arms is slightly bent but she still flies well.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear. (better than a lost Phantom, but still a bummer). Hopefully you can salvage much.

Finding a new shell is frustrating, it's almost as if DJI focuses on new Phantoms and doesn't put an emphasis on producing enough spare parts. I went thru the same ordeal myself back in February when I dented an arm real bad and had to wait nearly a month to find a replacement (used) shell. a new batch of parts arrived in early April, but no users are once again forced to wait for parts of any kind.

talk to your dealer(s) and try to get an idea of when Shell's will become available.
and if it seems too long, either look into buying a temporary Phantom (which you can eventually resell perhaps).
or look into swapping all the parts onto a F330, 450 or even F550 frame.

So it dropped without any power at all from 70m? did it ever appear to descend at any point prior?
Do you think it mistakenly thought your home location was at 70m up, or do you think it ran out of power the moment it dropped? (was it running low on power prior do you think?)

I've used RTH a few times myself in the past, and always wondered why it took so long to land each time.

From the "Gopro" it seems like the Phantom returned to the correct spot, and was not even trying to decend. It started to shake as allways when it decends...instead it dropped lik a brick after battery was dead. :cry:

Found more defective parts.... Compass/gps, 1motor and 1 Esc.
Even the Fastshark 600mW TX is broken.

I'm not even consider repairing this wreck...buying an New Phantom instead :|

Rolf Hult said:
From the "Gopro" it seems like the Phantom returned to the correct spot, and was not even trying to decend. It started to shake as allways when it decends...instead it dropped lik a brick after battery was dead. :cry:

Found more defective parts.... Compass/gps, 1motor and 1 Esc.
Even the Fastshark 600mW TX is broken.

I'm note even consider repairing this wreck...buying an New Phantom instead :|

if you can salvage the RX from the phantom, you can buy a phantom without the RX/TX from Heli-World.com. and it's free shipping, save you a few dollars. I would also keep the busted one around, try to salvage what i can from it to use as spare parts for the new one. sorry to hear about your accident.

Thank you for the tip on buying without TX/RX
I just invested in an Futaba T8J and can use that on an New Phantom.

Edit: Big trouble when order an Phantom from heli-world....when checkout via Paypal, an Return error occur from heli-world.
Tried both via Explorer and chrome...both result in error:

<<Server Error in '/heli-world-com' Application.
There is no row at position 0.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace .........>>

E-mailed my order to Heli-World instead :)

Rolf Hult said:
Thank you for the tip on buying without TX/RX
I just invested in an Futaba T8J and can use that on an New Phantom.

Edit: Big trouble when order an Phantom from heli-world....when checkout via Paypal, an Return error occur from heli-world.
Tried both via Explorer and chrome...both result in error:

<<Server Error in '/heli-world-com' Application.
There is no row at position 0.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace .........>>

E-mailed my order to Heli-World instead :)

they are pretty good with emails. so you should hear back from them soon. they have a contact number you can call, or since you're local, you can actually just stop by. hours are monday & tuesday 12 - 5, wed - fri 9 -5.

It really sucks that the Phantom isn't smart enough to try to land before the battery is completely drained.
(guess in certain situations it's better to have it fall from the sky from above home location than to land in water or other undesirable areas).

hopefully you can salvage or even sell some of the parts.
the NAZA and Compass alone are half the cost of the Phantom. you could easily stick much of that stuff onto a F450 frame or try out a TBS Discovery for sport flying (or find someone who wants your parts)

I guess some of the parts can be sold yes, if anyone need them in their Phantom.

Ordered an new phantom without tx/rx from UAV Products today (heli-world did not respond on my order request)

It was bad luck when it came down... only 30cm to any side -it would hit soft grass :x

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik