Return to home fail

Reaction score
I was goofing around on YouTube looking at videos of Phantoms doing this and doing that and found the ones on the "return to home" feature. In both of the videos I watched, the guys flew off a ways, turned off the remote, and then the Phantom flew up or down to 60', and then flew back to over where they had originally taken off. Both videos showed the Phantoms auto landing within one meter of the original take off spot.

I decided to give it a whirl from my backyard which was a bad idea, in hindsight, and as I flew my Phantom away, I turned the remote off. I then lost sight of it and went into panic mode. I turned the remote back on, hoping to gain control again and then started pushing up to see if it would go high enough for me to see it again. I didn't. I turned the remote off again. So I set out after it in my truck asking neighbors if they had seen it. One young woman and her mother had said they heard a buzzing sound, but didn't think much of it or see anything. After 20 minutes or so of canvasing the neighborhood and looking in my backyard to see if it came back "home", I set out with "Missing" signs and posted them around where I suspected it to be. I then went to the only two entrances, exits of our subdivision and posted signs. I returned to where the mother and daughter were raking leaves, and where I had posted a sign, because I thought that from where I was, it should have been in that area. RIGHT across the street from the women, were two men looking up onto the one man's roof. Lo and behold, my Phantom had safely auto landed on his roof, without wrecking anything. I decided to give the guy a reward for not getting pissed and destroying my toy. :)

So, two lessons I have learned.
One: Don't ignore the low battery lights flashing on the back. Bring it down, and recharge and live to fly another day.
Two: Don't do test flights in a neighborhood. I'm pretty sure I won't be flying from my backyard anymore. :D :geek:

Lol we've all done stupid sh&t .... Glad it worked out!

I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the heartbreak I felt when I thought it was lost, and then the pure joy, when I found it in one piece. The two guys who found it were befuddled by what it was. Lol. The one guy thought it was one of those delivery drones, that aren't in service yet, and then the other guy, whose roof it landed on, thought "maybe" the blinking lights on the back was a bomb. I assured him it was neither. :)

Just curious did u wait for the 2 sets of green flashes ?
Or did I misread that you attempted RTH when you had first warning of battery level ?
Glade you got it back & had nice property owner ..

Have you hooked it up to your computer at all? If not, go to dji.com, download the drivers and the NAZA Assistant program and install them in that order. Use the cable that came with it to hook it up to a USB port. Run Assistant.

Go through all of the tabs. Turn on IOC, set the limits to something reasonable, set the bottom position of S1 to Failsafe, set Return To Home to Come Home and Land, make sure the motor cutoff is set to Intelligent.

Turning on IOC activates the switch on the left. Pulling it all of the way back turns on Home Lock. When it is turned on, pulling the right stick toward you brings the quad toward you. Ditto with left, right, and forward. It doesn't matter which way the quad is pointing.

Just be sure to stop your quad when it is more than 30 feet away from you and turn off Home Lock. If not, it will switch to ATTI mode and depending on which way your quad is facing, it is going to do something weird when it gets within 30 feet of Home Point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl