Return to Home... do you trust it?

Yes, plus or minus 9 feet is typical. What's amazing is how well these things hold perfect position when hovering, easily within a few inches.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Yeah but isn't auto land kind of rough?
Why would you ever let a blind automated system land your Phantom if you are able to land (or better yet, catch) it yourself?
Just because RTH will bring your bird back doesn't mean you have to sit there and just stare at it.
You can cancel RTH at any time and resume control and land where you choose, the way you choose..

Reactions: III% Streve
RTH works everytime, EXCEPT if it's fighting high wind. It travel more slowly in RTH mode, so you're better off manually fly it back home (if u can see it, visually or fpv).
It might take it longer to get home, but it will still get home. If you over fly the battery and have to make a flight home against the wind, flying faster will only burn more battery! The other part of that is IF the battery DOES hit critical in the middle of a RTH process it will land in place. Not too good if over water or trees. BUT.. you have a solid GPS location of where it landed. Yes... Ive tested that too!

Why would you ever let a blind automated system land your Phantom if you are able to land (or better yet, catch) it yourself?
Just because RTH will bring your bird back doesn't mean you have to sit there and just stare at it.
You can cancel RTH at any time and resume control and land where you choose, the way you choose..
For me.. I am going through the process of demonstrating what a P3 is able to do. Not only for me or under my control, but also for its self. A LOT of people, probably most, are very intimidated in the beginning. Some keep putting off a purchase, some are afraid to fly. My role in these sessions is to show them that they don't NEED to be afraid! What they can rely on. What NOT to do. And how to deal with several common issues. Like tipping over on takeoff or landing. It scares the hell out of some to see a $1500 item fly off into the sunset! They walk away with confidence, not only in their P3, but also that at some point they WILL crash it!

I like it. It's a useful feature.

It might take it longer to get home, but it will still get home. If you over fly the battery and have to make a flight home against the wind, flying faster will only burn more battery!
In a strong headwind or low battery situation (and a pilot should plan to avoid both situations), you would be better off to fly faster than to let RTH fly slowly and get nowhere.
Flying faster doesn't enough extra power to be a concern.

In a strong headwind or low battery situation (and a pilot should plan to avoid both situations), you would be better off to fly faster than to let RTH fly slowly and get nowhere.
Flying faster doesn't enough extra power to be a concern.
This is like the debate about an empty gas tank.. do you drive faster to get to the station and in case you run out you have momentum. Or do you drive crazy conservative and get there safely. The answer is to not put yourself in that position to start with!!

Reactions: Dounin Front
I canyon fly a lot too, so this got my attention. So, you were 300 feet down, and 1.5 KM away, busy mixing imperial and metric numbers, and you had RTH set so low it couldn't climb back out of the canyon? Even if you had RTH set at 20 feet, wouldn't it have to totally climb out of a canyon plus 20 feet above ground?
I'm guessing the terrain you are talking about has large hills and such surrounding the canyon rim that got you into trouble?
Sorry for OT.
Sorry, I deal with global clients for work, so frequently switch between metric and standard. Updated with correct dimensions after reviewing flight log. Check out the flight log on my YouTube channel if interested.

I take mine out daily to check the progress on an overpass they are building about a half mile away. I usually fly a waypoint mission to get there. After looking around a bit and since I sometimes lose LOS at that point, I cancel the mission and press (2secs) the RTH button on the controller. I always tap the button again to cancel RTH when it's overhead and land or catch it myself. RTH flies at 22mph after lifting to the preset altitude. I don't fly in the wind, so that hasn't been an issue for me.
I have found RTH 100% reliable. Just be sure it says, "Home Point Set" at takeoff. You can also set a revised home point after takeoff as well. You do not need to land to reset the home point.
Believe me, it's not just for emergencies. But, either way, you need to first know your surroundings.

Speaking of RTH.... I once, like an idiot, accidentally pushed and held down the power button on the controller and lost all "manual control". Ugh!! I have to admit I was freaking out while trying to desperately restart the controller and the iPad which for some reason also turned off. While stumbling to take off the sun shade and turn the iPad back on and stumbling through the iPad password and dumb notifications to get back on to the DJI-GO app, the Phantom was already coming back home and doing what it was suppose to do. :)

Speaking of RTH.... I once, like an idiot, accidentally pushed and held down the power button on the controller and lost all "manual control". Ugh!! I have to admit I was freaking out while trying to desperately restart the controller and the iPad which for some reason also turned off. While stumbling to take off the sun shade and turn the iPad back on and stumbling through the iPad password and dumb notifications to get back on to the DJI-GO app, the Phantom was already coming back home and doing what it was suppose to do. :)
EXACTLY why its best to know that you can trust your equipment! Freaking out (I had a similar moment) only leads to potential mistakes! Good story!

Reactions: Mario_SB
EXACTLY why its best to know that you can trust your equipment! Freaking out (I had a similar moment) only leads to potential mistakes! Good story!

Haha...thanks! You're right, it's a good feeling to have when you can trust your equipment. It equals more fun and enjoyment and less paranoia. That said, going through your checklists prior to taking off is always valid and just a good habit to have.

Yes.. civ GPS is accurate to 3 meters.. about 9 feet. Its just strange that some are nearly always dead on.. some are 12 feet off, and mine is always 9 feet.
Altitude comes from the barometric altimeter in the controller. Not the GPS.

i'm still practicing but the times i've had my phantom at about 100ft up and I hit the return button, the drone descended. I had set the return to home altitude to 50m in which the drone is suppose to ascend to 50m then descend once its on the home position. I could be wrong in the way i went about it.

I was however able to override the RTH by taking control of the stick, in which case I trusted the drone up and brought it home manually.

If the spot on the ground directly beneath your Phantom is not very far away, it will land. I forget the exact number at the moment - I remember it being something like 50 - 60 meters.

Get it farther away from you than that, but close enough that you can take manual control if something goes wrong. Then PRESS AND HOLD the RTH button. *IF* your Phantom doesn't start coming back (i.e., the RTH fails, which is rather unlikely), you have enough time to take control yourself and bring it back.

It's all described in the manual. There are several pertinent parts of the manual applying to RTH - you should read 'em all.

Reactions: Dounin Front

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1