Return to Controller - NOT take off location

Reaction score
Hello - I want the drone to "return to the controller" instead of returning to the "home point" where it took off. Why? I'm using a boat to take off - then I cruise the bay taking photo's and video. When I'm finished, I want the drone to
come to the controller instead of where the boat used to be! Any help?

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you have GPS on your tablet/device/phone, so you can change "home point" in the DJI Go App. Take a look around.

Beside that, you gonna have to make a safe landing on the boat, maybe a "catch by hand landing".

Be really carefull on that one sir.

20 meter home point. I hope the boat is very big. As chappy23 said, reset home point while flying so it doesn't go flying downstream if you loose radio contact.
Perhaps some styrofoam on landing skids so drone floats a little.

20 meter home point. I hope the boat is very big. As chappy23 said, reset home point while flying so it doesn't go flying downstream if you loose radio contact.
Perhaps some styrofoam on landing skids so drone floats a little.
Both have good concerns which I totally understand. I would take it off auto-land when its close and manually take over. I have pretty big landing spot on deck and have done many catches - two people very able bodied required.

I found something in YouTube about it. They say that you have to set Smart Home Point to OFF in order to manual set home points.
From minute 8.31
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can change homepoint in app? Please tell me how.
Top of the first page of your app settings.
You can choose to reset home to where the drone is or where you are
i-NkLd5rX-L.png

I found something in YouTube about it. They say that you have to set Smart Home Point to OFF in order to manual set home points.
You don't have to turn anything off to reset home point.

i-NkLd5rX-L.png

Maybe they upgrated the app, the video that I found which addressing the same problem was since May 2016. Thanks for the updated info but in case you are in a moving location like a boat I think you have to switch to off the Smart return to home, because the p4 is going to the last home location automatically when it automatically triggers return to home. It calculates the distance from the previous home point, the altitude and the remaining battery, So it will go to another location from where you will be when the procedure will start automatically. Not the location of taking off neither the present location, it will go to the last location you set. But your action is taking place before the triggering, and If you are moving, you are allready in a new one!

Maybe they upgrated the app, the video that I found which addressing the same problem was since May 2016. Thanks for the updated info but in case you are in a moving location like a boat I think you have to switch to off the Smart return to home, because the p4 is going to the last home location automatically when it automatically triggers return to home. It calculates the distance from the previous home point, the altitude and the remaining battery, So it will go to another location from where you will be when the procedure will start automatically.
But if you reset the home point to where you are now or where the Phantom is now, that's where it would want to fly to in an RTH situation - not where it was launched.
If you are on a boat moving any distance and reset a few times during the flight you aren't going to have a situation where the Phantom wants to go home because it thinks home is three miles away.

But if you reset the home point to where you are now or where the Phantom is now, that's where it would want to fly to in an RTH situation - not where it was launched.
If you are on a boat moving any distance and reset a few times during the flight you aren't going to have a situation where the Phantom wants to go home because it thinks home is three miles away.

I did not finished my answer, but I did it after your post.
I think you have to do those steps
1st. set Smart return to home to off,
2nd you have to carefully watch your remaining power
3rd stop the boat and then set the final home position and wait for it to come :)

I will have the ability to test it in the Aegean sea next summer :)

Hello - I want the drone to "return to the controller" instead of returning to the "home point" where it took off. Why? I'm using a boat to take off - then I cruise the bay taking photo's and video. When I'm finished, I want the drone to
come to the controller instead of where the boat used to be! Any help?
Use follow me instead, then when your done take over the controller and land it on your boat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

1st. set Smart return to home to off,
The whole worry about Smart RTH is that the Phantom still thinks home is where it launched which might be three miles away.
But if you reset home point during the flight, that is where Smart RTH would want to be returning to - not the original launch point.
If you have reset home a few times, home is not going to be so far away that it should make any difference as the Phantom won't need to RTH when it still has lots of battery left.

If I am going to fly it when I sail with 6 to 8 knots, I will only trust my skills and not automations. In a typical sailing speed with a sail yacht, in every second you are 4 meters away from the previous one, so no need for smart returns to home I think. Just have it near, watch your battery, slow down and bring it back.

Also... I would switch to "hover when signal is lost" on the settings. So if you do lose signal then just turn the boat around so the phantom doesn't fly away in the opposite direction to go home

Neon Euc

If I am going to fly it when I sail with 6 to 8 knots, I will only trust my skills and not automations. In a typical sailing speed with a sail yacht, in every second you are 4 meters away from the previous one, so no need for smart returns to home I think. Just have it near, watch your battery, slow down and bring it back.
That's what I would do. Safer, easier, smarter. It appears to me that people are getting to the point these days that they depend too much on electronics to their thinking for them. That can eventually lead to trouble.

Reactions: Mindflights
Thanks for all these suggestions. I'm crystal clear now as to how I will go forward. I'm always on a motor boat - chasing my subjects who are sailing and rowing. This means I'm always near the drone ( half mile at most ) Will keep an eye on battery and land, manually, back on my motorboat when battery gets low. Change battery and keep on going... I will be turning off the automatic RTH and I will also change setting to "hover if lost signal". Although, I'm with the drone always so i'm thinking this is over kill.

I did purchase pontoons - not to intentionally land on the water - but because weird things happen and I want to get it back if it decides to land without my permission. (perhaps I stretched the battery too long...)

Again, thanks for this help - VERY HELPFUL!

i-NkLd5rX-L.png

Correct, have used these settings before flight and it worked perfectly.

Smart RTH is simply the AC or app calculating power required to get from where it is to the current home point setting. Basically figuring out point of no return to home position with a very conservative buffer. If you believe your home point is at a reasonably safe enough distance to you at all times, resetting home point as frequently as appropriate, then there's no reason to disable smart or fail-safe RTH. Perhaps fail-safe if you suspect you won't regain signal in time when it starts returning home where it will land in the water, but then any RTH condition would be a problem. Your home point should after all never be out of range of your RC.
Now you could get in trouble if you set the home position where the AC is quite a distance away, then drifted out of range not realizing you set the wrong position.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for all these suggestions. I'm crystal clear now as to how I will go forward. I'm always on a motor boat - chasing my subjects who are sailing and rowing. This means I'm always near the drone ( half mile at most ) Will keep an eye on battery and land, manually, back on my motorboat when battery gets low. Change battery and keep on going... I will be turning off the automatic RTH and I will also change setting to "hover if lost signal". Although, I'm with the drone always so i'm thinking this is over kill.

I did purchase pontoons - not to intentionally land on the water - but because weird things happen and I want to get it back if it decides to land without my permission. (perhaps I stretched the battery too long...)

Again, thanks for this help - VERY HELPFUL!

Do you have a link to where u purchased the pontoons? Have you tried flying with them and do they effect performance much? Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31