Return P2V for H3-2D?

Reaction score
This question probably hasn't been asked for at least a week, but since I just joined and did not have any luck searching I figured I'd ask anyway.

I'm just wrapping up my first week with my Phantom 2 Vision. Aggrivatgion aside trying to update the firmware (which I finally completed), I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with this copter. Having virtually no RC aircraft experience at all, and certainly none with Helis, I have mastered getting the P2V up, down, left and right and landing with hardly any crashes. And the gentle crashes I've had (mostly tipping over on landing) seemed to have done no damage at all. The video and stills I've taken so far are pretty decent. Since I have several Nikon DSLRs and associated lenses and a GoPro H2 I think I have at least some background to judge the quality of the P2V's camera.

But now I'm starting to wonder if I should return it (Amazon 30-day return) and get a H3-2D model. My reasoning is this; Cost wise, I think its about a wash to get the P2 H3-2D and a new Hero 3+ (do I really need the Black model? Is the $100 dollar less Siver edition sufficient). With that combo, I'd get the same nice flying P2 with all its neat GPS stuff, but I'd lose FPV/OSD functionality and the ability to (out of the box) be able to operate the camera. But although the P2V's FPV features seem neat, I also see them as a bit of a distraction while trying to learn to fly since I have no intention of allowing this thing to get out of my sight until I have many more hours under my belt. Based on videos I've seen here, the Zenmuse gimbal seems to be much more stable and the H3 appears to take better pictures/video. I think the H3 would be a better overall camera (I own an H2 right now) and I can always add a better FPV system at a later time should I so desire.

Anyway, was just trying to simulate a(nother) discussion on this subject, and am interested in how other people's experiences have been. I know by posting this question in this particular sub forum I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with this plan, but I'm sure people from the P2V forum visit here too.

One other quick possible upgrade. Seen lots of stuff about using a Futaba controller. The articles I've read seemed to be geared to the P2V and required disconnecting the stock receiver and using Futaba Rx. Is that the same process if you upgrade the non-vision P2?

Thanks,

Well... I'm on the fence (or... was on the fence) about a P2V or a P2 with all the goodies. I have a P2 with a Zenmuse and I can tell you it is amazingly solid. I use a GoPro silver and the videos are great. But I definitely want a P2V.

After it was pointed out to me (several times - I am stubborn), I can tell the P2V videos right away. They shimmy and shake a bit. The Zenmuse doesn't have that and the result is, if you do your part, a very professional looking outcome with the 2 axis gimbal. So.. I don't think a P2V would work for me.

However, I'm in lust with the plug and play osd and FPV. And to tell the truth, I'm not even quite sure why. I'm just a gadget nut and this is, in all reality for me, a toy. So... I want a bigger toy. So, maybe I'll just go ahead and get a P2V.

Having said that, I DON'T want to have a P2 that requires a lot of thought to get going. A decked out P2 has multiple battery concerns and link ups and screens to set up. I can see wanting one because... just because. However, I don't want to give up my P1 or P2 'pull it out of the box and sync and go'. So... I'm going to be really stupid and buy another P2 but with all the goodies. I just can't see buying a P2V.

I'm only doing it because someone handed me a wad of cash that I wasn't counting on seeing and now I'm like a kid in a chocolate factory. Today (2:40 Central - Sunday) I'm going to buy a P2 with all the goodies. Tomorrow morning, I am sure I will be leaning towards a P2V. Maybe sooner than that... nah...

Seriously, check out the link provided in the previous post. A lot of talk there about the differences, etc. While I'm being a dork with the above paragraphs, the essence of each one is true. The P2V is the simpler osd/FPV setup and you can take stills, etc. I really am going to spring for a decked out quad and it will probably be a P2 package. My current P2 worked out slick as snot so I'm motivated to repeat the experience. That will mean I have a metric boat load of quads. I'm an idiot so don't laugh at me... it's bad manners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31