Return Home and Wifi for Camera?

Reaction score
My company has me taking some photos of our facility using my Phantom and taking photos directly overhead of a process Chemical Plant looking straight down. To get some of the photos and the area needed, I had to go a little higher than I have been getting for most process units. This time, the process unit is quite large, so I flew about 150 foot out and just under 1,000 foot in elevation to get the view needed. I got the photo and after taking the photo, I was going to go just a tad higher when I lost signal with camera and then just afterwards, I lost signal on the transmitter and it came up with the message Returning Home. That Return Home message went away soon afterwards and gave me a warning that signal was lost. With the sun right in the way, I could not see my Vision and knew it should return back home, but without it saying Return Home on the screen and no view with the camera any longer, I just wasn't sure. For what seemed like forever looking for the Phantom.........looking.........I finally found sight of the Phantom directly overhead and dropping as it should, however, although it kept dropping slowly as it should, I regained composure, however, I never got the wifi with the camera again, and it never picked up what the camera should see on my iPad mini. I finally took control from the Return Home by flipping the switch to gain control at about 50 foot and let hover but still no camera view. I stopped to hover and I had to get out of the program, go to Settings and look and turned off the Wifi and back on and it finally connected with Wifi once again and went to iPad mini and got camera again in the App and then flew back home with camera finally working. Not sure why it didn't pick up the camera wifi as it got into range, but never did until I went to Settings and selected the wifi once again and no other wifi was in the area to choose from. Is this normal for others? This is my first time losing control and still thought it should connect as it got back into range of the wifi. I have had a drop of signal plenty of times in the past for a few seconds, but not for minutes as it did this time and never recover wifi signal for camera.

Sounds as though it... "Worked as Advertised". Switching the S1 from GPS to Atti and back to GPS should have allowed you regain control of the craft. Assuming you are in visual range again.

The camera is a little different in that you need to exit the app and restart it to let it reconnect to the Vision's wifi.
Sounds like you need a few tests on IOC and maybe check your range on the wifi

You got her back...That's the important thing.

The Rookie

Yes, thrilled it returned and did exactly as it should on returning. Just thought camera should have reconnected with wifi when in range. Know now though if ever happens again. The switch on S1 worked perfect also after I finally gained sight of Vision.

When I fly I make sure the device I'm using to view has had all other access points disabled. That way you are sure that it will only connect to the phantom. It sounds like your mini might have connected to another wifi signal.

Sometimes fpv doesnt automatically come back. Best thing to do is first make sure she is coming home, then exit fully out of the app and go back into it. 95% of the time fpv will resume. 2nd if you arent sure if she is returning home try all other avenues and then follow step 1. Its happened to me lots of times. I'm very confident that my pv2 will do what its supposed to do that I dont even worry anymore. I know she's gonna come home. Just keep calm follow the logical steps, its not a bad idea to write them down and follow them like a commercial plane pilot would simply follow. Do that 3 or four times and it will become automatic. Ive even learned to keep even calmer when she's taking a little bit longer to come home if heading into the wind, ive always heard the buzzing eventually. Safe flying mate :)

Thanks. It was my first time getting out of controller range and first time at 1,000 ft elevation. I actually use a written check list flight plan that includes calling my local airport when flying above 400 ft for safety when flying for my work. I do checklist every time for each flight location. We have some low flying pipeline companies that fly around here within a hundred feet in some areas, so I call airport to give the planes warning to stay away and it has gone well with all involved. I even have two dedicated safety representatives watching the skies also as part of my check list. I do feel better the return home worked so well. It seemed to take forever before I found it, but was very sunny and hard to see while it was near sun light. I have stayed in the 800 foot elevation or lower in the past.glad I got photo just before losing signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj