Retractable gear RC Techy Q

Reaction score
I really like the idea of the stock landing gear being retractable and have seen videos of this - it gets the gear out of the way of the GoPro FOV on aircraft swing. It also looks real cool - but not the reason. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTcs5LmsXao

I also like the self-centering nature of the stock RC controller and would not want to use another controller. Plus I can't afford a Futaba or Spectrum. All these mods use a spare channel in these zooped up controllers for the servo that the Phantom does not have. Is there mileage in this idea...

Using the Gimbel tilt channel (the 7th channel I heard talked about) and wiring a toggle switch into the controller so it could be temporarily be used at take off and landing to switch over to the landing gear servo and another position on the toggle switch to fire the servo. The Gimbel tilt will not likely be used at those moments. Once retracted the toggle can be flipped back to serve the Gimbel control.

I have little sense at the best of times and clueless at anything RC. I also have not a clue what would be needed at the Phantom end.

If this is a no-goer then I'll snuggle back into my recliner this fine Bank holiday Monday. Zzzzzz

Not really going to fly. The stock transmitter is only 7 channels so the toggle you talk about what actually need to toggle at the receiver end.
If you want to do this then go for an aftermarket transmitter. You don't have to spend out on Futaba if you don't want to. I use a FrSky Taranis with all my models and with 16 channels it has all I could even need.

The main issue with retract on a Phantom is where are you going to put the compass?

rilot said:
The main issue with retract on a Phantom is where are you going to put the compass?

+1

I think the project of adding retracts may be a bit more complex than you're prepared for, even if you were able to solve the compass issue. But, if you want to try that or any other accessory that requires an extra channel or channels you don't have to pay Futaba/Spektrum prices to get a quality controller with options and configurability. As Rilot mentioned, the Taranis is an excellent budget option that doesn't cut any corners on channels and features, and the Turnigy 9XR is another great option that costs even less than that.

Thanks everyone, it was just one of those random thoughts without the knowhow! I have seen the compass on its own pillar.

OK I'm on a roll... what about a car reversing sensor pointed down that senses the ground and retracts and lowers. No fancy controllers or channels and automatic...only kidding lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
OK I'm on a roll... what about a car reversing sensor pointed down that senses the ground and retracts and lowers. No fancy controllers or channels and automatic...only kidding lol

It's not that wild of an idea, aside from the sensor part lol. With a controller like the Taranis you can add a telemetry sensor that measures height (by barometer), and then set it to trigger the retracts at a certain altitude. When I get around to it, I plan to do exactly that but with landing lights instead of retractable gear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers