Retired - phantom happy

K

Khudson7

Ok, so yes, I am retired with too much time on my hands.

So what am I doing with all my time, you ask? ( you did ask...didn't you)

Well spending all my time ( and money) on this phantom hobby. And enjoying every minute of it.

I am hooked...did someone say obsession?

Anyway, how many more of you out there, are spending their retirement time and income, involved with this hobby? (Go ahead, raise your hand...I won't tell)

Khudson7 said:

Well spending all my time ( and money) on this phantom hobby. And enjoying every minute of it.

Anyway, how many more of you out there, are spending their retirement time and income, involved with this hobby? (Go ahead, raise your hand...I won't tell)

You can count me in that group! Been having a blast, glad to hear you are as well. I see you're from Canada, and everyone I meet from Canada, I always explain the 3 things every American knows about Canadians.

#1) You all live in igloos

#2) Canadians are terrific spellers

#3) Canadians only have 6 months of daylight per year, the other six months they practice spelling.

I'm hoping you can confirm this is all true. :lol:

I've suffered from a degenerative condition for quite a few years. I've had three operations and waiting on a fourth. Anyway my condition got the better of me and I had to give up work last September. After a few days into my enforced sick leave I saw a Hubsan X4 on sale at a local store and figured it would be something to play with while incapacitated on the sofa. That was the start of my decent into financial ruin.

Shortly after mastering the controls I upgraded to a Walkera Q100. I didn't like the silly iPad controls so I purchased a Turnigy 9xr and a Devo dongle. This made it much more controllable.

Then my wife suggested that I should treat myself so I purchased a Phantom V1, with Gopro and Fatshark system. Frustrated with the jerky video I added a Goodluckbuy gimbal. I then decided to explore some of the open source stuff and played with a MultiWii quad which was a great learning experience.

The next addition was my F550 Hex build. I fitted this with the Naza V2, H3-2d gimbal, and Datalink Groundstation. The landing legs were next to useless so I added the AeroXcraft landing skid and now it balances perfectly.

I've now decided to explore fixed wing and so I've fitted the APM Ardupilot, with 433MHz telemetry link, to a FPV Raptor and this has opened up a new world of flexibility as the DJI Ground Station no longer works as I'm apparently in a no fly zone now.

I'm not officially retired, I'm in the middle of an appeal process with my pension company, but I'm as good as. If I hadn't purchased that little Hubsan X4 back in September I'd probably still have a few pennies to my name but I'd also be on a plethora of antidepressants and torturing puppies in my basement instead.

Regards

Nidge

Yes I also am retired and after flying model planes, I find this to be ten times more enjoyable , less stress but costs are a wee bit more, well that's less inheritance the kids will have...

Joe

Yes, retired and perhaps even retarded. Bored silly, 75 years old and and some say in my third childhood. This is my first experience with RC anything. Looking for a flying buddy to film the north coast of California.

CarlJ said:
Khudson7 said:

You can count me in that group! Been having a blast, glad to hear you are as well. I see you're from Canada, and everyone I meet from Canada, I always explain the 3 things every American knows about Canadians.

#3) Canadians only have 6 months of daylight per year, the other six months they practice spelling.

ROFWL...

Yes, it is tru..
Xcpt for the spealing part. I miss'd that klass.

Now, excuse me while I go chill my vodka in my ice kitchen.

Khudson7 said:
CarlJ said:
Khudson7 said:

ROFWL...

Yes, it is tru..
Xcpt for the spealing part. I miss'd that klass.

Now, excuse me while I go chill my vodka in my ice kitchen.

I knew it was true! And **** my luck getting the one Canadian that took up quadcopters instead of the 6 months of spelling! :lol:

I see you also have a GoPro3+ Silver! I have one as well, and love the video I get, but wonder how the other half is living with camera raw, and all that la-dee-da stuff on the Black.

Khudson7 said:

What a great post. :D

I won't be able to retire for just over two years, and when I do, I'll wind up with a part time job that doesn't take nearly as much out of me as my present full time gig...

But... I'm gearing up to spend more time with this... hobby... I admittedly have a fairly impressive case of OCD. I got into cars and spent over a decade and more money than I really want to admit to, in creating a really nice show car. Then it was golf. I have over 3,000 golf balls in various bins, and five bags full of clubs. I still golf nearly every day it doesn't rain and some days that it does. All that... and I still have a 12 handicap :shock:

Then I got into handgun shooting and now own over a dozen very beautiful handguns. I hand load every round that goes into them and I'm a fairly competent shot. :ugeek:

I've been watching the UAV world for a few years now and I've been ready to pounce when the technology/price curve hit apex. I focused on the P2V as it was exactly what I was waiting for.

I hope to use my UAV piloting skills, in my retirement, to augment my income. I've spent many hours every day training with a Hubsan X4 H107L to sharpen my piloting skills. I can now fly nose in nearly as well as tail in... It took a lot of time, a number of broken motors, props, Hubsan bodies... but I finally got there.

This is just such a great hobby for the retired. I hope to join you guys in Phantomcentric retirement relatively soon...

Thanks..
-slinger

Wow, if I had a dime for all the retired people flying this hobbyon this site, I would be rich! No wait...I take that back. I would be about .50 cents richer. Oh well, we may be a small minority but I found it to be a great pastime for us gainfully unemployed.

As mentioned by a fellow pilot, I too was suddenly forced into retirement due to unexpected illness, at 63. After a couple years of the **** doctors pumping me full of anti-depressants in trying to deal, I finally got myself off of them, and finally stumbled into this hobby quite by accident and with no previous experience with any of this rc stuff.

So, moral of this overly long story, for all you "youngsters" out there, when ever life is not going you way...go flying...great way to take your mind off of your troubles. No charge for the free advice. Also although I may be older than many of you here, I prefer to think of it as I just happened to get to my age faster than you did. Ha!

Retirement, not worrying about a job or career, but worrying if my Phantom will "fly-away". A different stress.

You can count me into the group of retirees... and one with less pennies since jumping into this hobby... I am really intrigued by this hobby and want to be successful in getting some aerial shots.... I love the fact that you have to keep learning so many different things in order to master this hobby! And, I've just begun and look forward to what is yet to come...! What a fantastic set of possibilities....and the potential...is awesome...

Jezabel said:
You can count me into the group of retirees... and one with less pennies since jumping into this hobby... I am really intrigued by this hobby and want to be successful in getting some aerial shots.... I love the fact that you have to keep learning so many different things in order to master this hobby! And, I've just begun and look forward to what is yet to come...! What a fantastic set of possibilities....and the potential...is awesome...

Yup. That's part of the allure for me too, and how I got into computers in the first place. There's no end to the learning curve and so much potential...

-slinger

58 and a retired ironworker. Knees and back worn out.
I've been doing RC for 40yrs , back when you actually bought a kit ! Kinda slowed down on planes a few years ago harder to see and reactions not as when I was younger.
Then I remember when the flamewheel with the naza V1 came out , had to have it! After I flew it I was hooked. It flew so nice and easy , stable , great for a older rcer. I had the phantom 1 but got rid of it , liked my 450 better, then the pv2 and had that 3 weeks and then pv2+ came out. I sent the pv2 back and got the plus , no looking back, this the best so far.
Only problem with dji is you never know when it'll just go crazy. My 450 flew great , then onetime it just fipped over and hit the ground from a hover. After that it flew great , still flying great.

Okay 67. And retired, and I would like to join the club to. Picking up my phantom 2 tomorrow. Terribly excited I bet we would all be surprised of the percent of retirees on this forum. Glad all the young ones are patient with us.

Garysam said:
Okay 67. And retired, and I would like to join the club to. Picking up my phantom 2 tomorrow. Terribly excited I bet we would all be surprised of the percent of retirees on this forum. Glad all the young ones are patient with us.

This little toy is going to blow your mind... :D Enjoy !!!

-slinger

Taking Early voluntary retirement in September (hopefully!) More time to fly and tend my carnivorous plants & many other hobbies! People at work say I must be mad to retire as what am I going to fill my days with! I will fill them with what I enjoy doing!!

very close to retirement...but I already acquired my P2V+. I really enjoy flying it and taking videos. The only challenge I have is to find places to fly more. I am getting bored of the local neighborhood park where I fly. Love the technology behind the phantom, and I am really fascinated at it as I am electronic engineer. Nice to meet you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers