Retired Combat Photographer new to multi-rotor

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi to all and introduce myself.

I'm a retired US Navy Combat Photographer trained in still photography, motion picture and videography. Not working professionally as a photographer any longer, but still do some semi-pro stuff. Pick up occasional book and magazine deals for my nature photography and aviation photography.

Been flying sailplanes for past 20 years. Also been flying helicopters for the past three years. Kind of getting bored with flying since I don't like to compete and not into the extreme 3D stuff they do with helicopters.

Multi-copters captured my attention since I can combine my love of photography with my love of flying RC. Been practicing on my simulator for about six months. Went and bought me a Blade MQX about a month ago. Have been enjoying the heck out of that and haven't crashed once...yet.

Bought myself a DJI Phantom, and it's due to arrive tomorrow. My plans are to mount my GoPro on it of course. Will use the stock mount for a few weeks, but will eventually move up to a gimbal. I'm guessing I will eventually start using it in some of my semi-pro stuff. I've already promised a prairie restoration project that I do probono work for that I will be able to shoot aerial videos for them this year.

Someday, I hope to move onto an even larger multi-copter that can carry one of my DSLR rigs.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum as I take on this new avenue of RC. Looking forward to chatting with a bunch of you.

Wes

Hi Wes, welcome to the forum. I also have the MQX, was my first ever RC flyer, bought to understand and get experience of quad control, as I wanted to get a Phantom.
I got the Phantom, and after reading the instructions and following them, I started flying it. Surprised by the ease and response, I am completely taken by Quad flying. Sadly as with many things made by man, I found it had a fault. Has been with supplier waiting for required parts from dji, but wondering if they send them by sampan or similar! Several weeks now.
Anyway, it was a rare fault, and I expect your one will be OK.

The fault was it would not connect to any PC to use the NAZA Assistant. In GPS and ATTI mode it flew perfectly. But I could not enable IOC, or make any flight adjustments.

Expect to have more fun than even the MQX. Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to flying the Phantom.

When I got my hands on the GoPro a couple years ago, I thought it was the greatest invention since sliced bread. All those years humping 30 and 40 pounds of camera equipment on ships, helicopters, jets and underwater. Now I provide even better quality with a little 4 ounce camera.

I take my little GoPro scuba diving all the time, but wanted to get it onto one of my RC planes. Was going to mount it to one of my sailplanes until I became interested in multicopters. The moment I laid my eyes on the Phantom, I was in love. That would have been a nice little critter to have back in my Navy days. Would have been so much easier to document problems around the ship or to send out into a combat zone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31