Restrictions in a "Free" Country

Reaction score
We are told, all through our lives, that we live in a FREE Country. We are bombarded with slogans like, "Freedom isn't Free." I have written to my Representatives and asked them to define this principal. What I've gotten back are boilerplate thank yous for my interest? Wow, we are told that this country's freedom is worth dying for but I don't feel free. I served in the military and went overseas. I risked my life for this country (at less that minimum wage) and was honorably discharged. I've traveled all over the world and the US seems much more restrictive than many other countries. Someone out there reading this, I Hope, can tell me what is so exceptional about the US. Tell me what I am missing. What does it mean to be free?

What do you think it means? Or perhaps it's meaningless, just propaganda. I want to feel proud and believe. I hope someone can help me with this.

Freedom doesn't mean free to do whatever you want if it affects other people. As the saying goes, your rights end where my nose begins. That's part of living in a civilized society. Of course there will always be debate over how much regulation is too much.

You could always move to Somalia, which has no functioning government.

Reactions: Phil56
Freedom doesn't mean free to do whatever you want if it affects other people. As the saying goes, your rights end where my nose begins. That's part of living in a civilized society. Of course there will always be debate over how much regulation is too much.

You could always move to Somalia, which has no functioning government.

Thanks for your comments Mr. Salty, please share your wisdom and define freedom for us, please.

Thanks for your comments Mr. Salty, please share your wisdom and define freedom for us, please.
If you're writing to your congressional representatives and posting on internet forums seeking the definition of freedom I doubt there's an answer anyone can give you that will satisfy you.

Microlinux has a good point. Knowing why you think you aren't enjoying the unencumbered freedom you think you deserve would help. I've traveled extensively, too, and know you're wrong when it comes to the U.S. being more restrictive. On some things sure, but on most things you're wrong.

Not sure how the OP's thread ties in with our passion for flying, but I have had similar discussions with mates sitting around a fire and drinking beer as this is where we usually fix the problems of the world. Like the OP I too have served in military and have seen things I would rather have not, stationed at the former US base in Subic Bay whilst the Philippines was under martial law and spending time in the gulf during the first gulf conflict. I too have travelled extensively, lived and worked in Asia and couldn't wait to come back home. Sure there may be cases of over regulation in aspects of our lives including our use of drones/quads but they are needed to regulate society. Australia is quite similar to the US in many respects and we sometimes get complacent with what we have. I have experienced the alternative and it's not pretty.

Not sure how the OP's thread ties in with our passion for flying, but I have had similar discussions with mates sitting around a fire and drinking beer as this is where we usually fix the problems of the world. Like the OP I too have served in military and have seen things I would rather have not, stationed at the former US base in Subic Bay whilst the Philippines was under martial law and spending time in the gulf during the first gulf conflict. I too have travelled extensively, lived and worked in Asia and couldn't wait to come back home. Sure there may be cases of over regulation in aspects of our lives including our use of drones/quads but they are needed to regulate society. Australia is quite similar to the US in many respects and we sometimes get complacent with what we have. I have experienced the alternative and it's not pretty.
Well said.

I believe freedom is something you earn. My grandfather was fighting for it in World War Two. My father went to Vietnam and I ended up in a sand box for four years till I got kicked out. We fight, cry and complain about everything here but no other country on earth is greater then the United States of America....IMO

Here are my reasons for freedom.

I can drive anywhere I want without papers.

I'm not worried about someone hi jacking me for ransom. ( I'm broke )

Eat what ever I want.

Smoke and drink.

Cuss and spit.

Pray to God we don't end up in WW3.

Work hard and pay taxes. ( again )

So my kids can grow up in a place that's safe and understand we All give or gave up something in order to say Freedom.

Reactions: dmagnus
I agree that freedom must be earned. The problem is that it is earned by a relative few of the population, and many reap the rewards, but have no appreciation. I also have travelled a good bit, including the Philippines, the then Soviet Union, and all of Central America, as well as more prosperous nations. Of the places I know something about, I choose to be here. While I have enjoyed California and have in-laws living there, I am not willing to live there because of the regulation, tax burdens, and what I see as restrictions on many things that are important to me. If I had to live under the control of the politicians especially in the San Francisco area, I would consider cutting my wrists. So, much of the concept of freedom is a matter of perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers