Restricted Special Use Airspace

Reaction score
I was in US zip code 54401 this past weekend. Airmap shows pretty much the whole city being Restricted Special Use Airspace. However, I didn't see that on the sectional, and I could not find any NOTAMs or other such information from FAA sources. Either I missed something (entirely possible) or Airmap is wrong.

Can anyone more experienced than I give me the low-down? I'm still learning sectionals etc, so I'd appreciate knowing what I may have missed.

Yes, Wausau WI. I do know of the Downtown airport and KCWA and their associated airspace(s). Does something about them make the whole area "Restricted Special Use" airspace? The closest thing I could find was the Volk Field MOAs south of the area.

It's strange that Airmaps and the FAA Visualizer show Class E to the surface, but neither SkyVector or VFRMAP show that. I assume that the "Restricted Special Use" airspace is in reference to that, as opposed to a MOA, R-, or P- zone.

It's strange that Airmaps and the FAA Visualizer show Class E to the surface, but neither SkyVector or VFRMAP show that. I assume that the "Restricted Special Use" airspace is in reference to that, as opposed to a MOA, R-, or P- zone.

I believe the class E surface was very recently revoked. Airmap lists very specific "FAA permitted" flight ceilings within the "Restricted Special Use" airspace, I would have thought there would be some FAA reference, I just cannot find anything.

The Digital Chart Supplement doesn't state any airspace that I can see, but the Aeronautical Chart Bulletins says this:
"Revise WAUSAU, WI Class E. That airspace extending upward from 700 feet above the surface within a 6.8-mile radius of Wausau Downtown Airport." which may be what you had heard.

This is where I read about the Class E surface being revoked, but (I think) that's a separate issue.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-01-13/pdf/2017-00287.pdf

"This action also removes Class E surface area airspace at Wausau Municipal Airport (Wausau Downtown Airport),
Wausau, WI, as a review has determined that the airport no longer meets the requirements for this airspace"

I still don't understand where Airmap is getting the info that airspace over Wausau is "restricted special use" with specific flight ceilings for drone operations. On Airmap, the restricted special use airspace is broken down into a grid with varying "FAA permitted" drone flight ceilings over the city and surrounding area. It shows up in the app or web map.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik