Resting period between flights

Reaction score
How long are you guys letting your drones rest in between flights?
some people run 3 batteries in a row. Every machine i've ever owned needed resting periods to cool down, even cop cars. And the machines i've owned that could handle not resting, it shortened their overall life span.
can this drone handle my 3 batteries in a row with ease or should there be a good 10 or 20 minutes in between batteries?

I flew my P2V hard yesterday for about 20 minutes, then set down to swap batteries. I checked the motors and they were warm, but not hot at all. I stuck in another battery and took off. The time it takes to get a full GPS lock etc also slows you down a little and gives it some time to cool. I've done this probably 80 times with seemingly no ill affects.

Anything that needs "resting periods to cool down" is misdesigned or broken, save for things that are only supposed to be run for short periods of time (say, your home coffee grinder). Things that are expected to run for more than a few seconds are designed in such a way that they reach an operating temperature and stay there. Some things may last longer if used steadily because the heating up/cooling down stresses things mechanically. Cars (in normal operation, anyhow) certainly don't need rest.

I'm pretty sure that the use of batteries that take longer to charge than they run will impose plenty of "rest" anyhow--sooner or later you'll have to wait for charging batteries.

Just go have fun and stop worrying. It's kind of the point of the exercise. ;)

no disrespect but are these assumptions or facts. My/our drones depend on this.
I have countless rc planes, and heli's and they ALL need to cool down between use. So do police cruisers (if you want them to last more than 6 months), automatic firearms, roller coasters (by fed law need resting periods), people (lol), etc. the list goes on. those are just off the top of my head.
so you understand why I'm skeptical. i cannot name anything that i can just turn on and leave on without causing some kind of long or short term damage.

neoneo said:
I have countless rc planes, and heli's and they ALL need to cool down between use. So do police cruisers (if you want them to last more than 6 months), automatic firearms, roller coasters (by fed law need resting periods), people (lol), etc. the list goes on. those are just off the top of my head.
so you understand why I'm skeptical. i cannot name anything that i can just turn on and leave on without causing some kind of long or short term damage.

I can tell you this I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers
I fly on average 7 to 8 full batteries when I go out and have been flying this way since Dec on my vision with no ill effects that I can see she flies like a dream

skyhighdiver said:
neoneo said:

I can tell you this I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers
I fly on average 7 to 8 full batteries when I go out and have been flying this way since Dec on my vision with no ill effects that I can see she flies like a dream
now that's what i like to hear. I'm gonna fly the crap out of this thing now lol

neoneo said:
some people run 3 batteries in a row. Every machine i've ever owned needed resting periods to cool down, even cop cars. And the machines i've owned that could handle not resting, it shortened their overall life span.
can this drone handle my 3 batteries in a row with ease or should there be a good 10 or 20 minutes in between batteries?

LOL....., Thats exactly what my Sgt kept telling me after 4 blown engines in my State Patrol 5.0 Mustang....I didn't listen and after #5 got to rock the Dodge Diplomat for 6 months....
As far as waiting, MHO is that as long as the motors feel cool to the touch, let it rip.......
Moose

Moose said:
neoneo said:

LOL....., Thats exactly what my Sgt kept telling me after 4 blown engines in my State Patrol 5.0 Mustang....I didn't listen and after #5 got to rock the Dodge Diplomat for 6 months....
As far as waiting, MHO is that as long as the motors feel cool to the touch, let it rip.......
Moose

yes. thats what confused me when dkatz42 said that cars "certainly" don't need to rest. I've blown a few crown vics myself. if you hand the keys off to the guy working the 2nd shift, and then the 3rd shift uses it too, thats a recipe for disaster. and that goes for any car i know of. the same goes for all 10 of my heli's, 6 planes, and my ladybird. i burned the motor out on my mini cp 2x cause i didn't let it rest. in my defense that was before i knew it needed rest.
i guess everyone has a point where they don't know if it needs rest (when first entering this sport/hobby) and some find out the hard way that it does. I didn't want to find out the hard way :D
been there, done that.
I'm thinking about picking up another 2 batteries and its nice to know that i can run 5 straight without worry.
i do have one question though: when you switch the battery do you power cycle the tx and wifi extender to or leave them on and let the plus connect. it prob wouldn't make a difference, but i like to play it safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik