Response from DJI regarding FW 3.04

Reaction score
I sent an inquiry to DJI North America support via their online form. After clarifying the issue I had, here is the response:

Jason,

Thank you for the flight details. This could indeed be an issue with the new firmware affecting the hardware. The solution would be to send in your unit so we can upgrade and test the aircraft here to ensure it is operating fully once upgraded. If defective hardware is found, we can replace those components under warranty.

-Jason

Kelso Kubat said:
well that sucks. i wouldn't hand over anything to them!
btw. whats wrong with your phantom that you suspect 3.04 is to blame???

It would suddenly fall out of the sky while under power.

drjay32 said:
Kelso Kubat said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Fall out of the sky??? You can send your aircraft to these cretins, but don't expect it back for six to eight weeks and don't be totally amazed if it's still hosed upon return... This is a couple of steps beyond ridiculous...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
drjay32 said:
Kelso Kubat said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Fall out of the sky??? You can send your aircraft to these cretins, but don't expect it back for six to eight weeks and don't be totally amazed if it's still hosed upon return... This is a couple of steps beyond ridiculous...

-slinger

Ok, so what the heck am I supposed to do? Not get the unit repaired while under warranty? Right now I'm running a mix of Firmware versions (all are up to date except for the main controller, which rolled back to 1.08). I can't get back to a version (2.0) of the firmware that lets me run the Assistant Software natively on my Mac, either.

3.04 seems to working fine for my p2 non vision. only had two test flights since updating but all seems well.
i wouldn't rule out the battery and its supposed faulty connections if you're dealing with a straight dead drop...
the trend to me seems to be the units purchased directly from DJI. thankfully there are a lot of companies, like dslrpros, who specialize in phantom service.
my advice
try taking it to RC shop and get a second opinion.

Kelso Kubat said:
3.04 seems to working fine for my p2 non vision. only had two test flights since updating but all seems well.
i wouldn't rule out the battery and its supposed faulty connections if you're dealing with a straight dead drop...
the trend to me seems to be the units purchased directly from DJI. thankfully there are a lot of companies, like dslrpros, who specialize in phantom service.
my advice
try taking it to RC shop and get a second opinion.
I never lost power. The phantom decided it was coming down hard and I had no stick input. Happened three times on 3.04; hasn't happened with 1.08. Bought it from B&H in December and it worked fine up until version 3.

OK, so I updated to 3.04 yesterday along with 1.0.2.22 on my hand held, of course I have an issue with my 7th channel not working now BUT took her out and went through all compass and basic pre-flight - got her in the air and she is ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Frustrating, my old 1.08 was ROCK SOLID now this wishy-washy BS....Urrrrrrr

Just this past weekend I had her out over water down in Ensenada, Mexico. Ran through about 7 full battery's filming the playa (ocean/beach) and FULL confidence in my bird, now this BS with 3.04.

I feel your pain all.

Update:
I put FW 3.04 back on today with the Rotorpixel gimbal. I can fly normally to about 50% battery power. At 45% battery or less, I just don't get enough throttle response to do anything. I was hovering two feet off the ground with full left stick and it just sat there.

So, I think that either:
1) I need to tweak Vertical Gain (it was at the default 140%)
2) I need to consider 50% battery to be the point where I start returning home due to the added weight of the RP Gimbal.

I didn't crash today, but I definitely ran into instances where I was coming down (slowly) and I had trouble stopping the descent.

-Jason

drjay32 said:
Update:
I put FW 3.04 back on today with the Rotorpixel gimbal. I can fly normally to about 50% battery power. At 45% battery or less, I just don't get enough throttle response to do anything. I was hovering two feet off the ground with full left stick and it just sat there.

So, I think that either:
2) I need to consider 50% battery to be the point where I start returning home due to the added weight of the RP Gimbal.

I didn't crash today, but I definitely ran into instances where I was coming down (slowly) and I had trouble stopping the descent.

-Jason
Again, sounds exactly like a forced auto-landing, due to battery issue. In this situation, you need full throttle to keep it airborne just long enough to maneuver into a safer landing spot.

KG4MXV said:
If you bought it from B&H you are golden, call them and ask for a exchange.
I purchased it in November of last year. Not sure that's possible at this point.

jimre said:
drjay32 said:
Update:

So, I think that either:

-Jason
Again, sounds exactly like a forced auto-landing, due to battery issue. In this situation, you need full throttle to keep it airborne just long enough to maneuver into a safer landing spot.

I've run into this twice. The processor thinks the battery no longer has a charge and down it comes. Full up on the left stick keeps it up long enough for you to either set it down in a desirable location, or bring it all the way back home. All the while, you've got those red lights flashing. Pretty scary scenario...

-slinger

I never had 3.04 but 2.00 unfortunately i had the same issue last time. At 50 percent it went down. I am back on 1.08. I also found she was more shaky than before. Now stable again

I'm pretty sure you have a bad battery. I had one that showed as being low (alarm and all) at 50%. It would try to land despite throttle input. DJI replaced the battery.

I've never updated.. Still at 1.0.38 and 1.08, still flys like a champ, flightime slightly reduced with the Rotorpixel. Cant see a good reason to update it at this point.

DJI will have to offer something better than what they currently offer, if they expect people to update to a "less capable" crippleware revision.

I had 3 flights after and no problem. If it happens again i push on my dealer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic