Response brand GPS tracker

Reaction score
Sorry for all the threads this morning..

Has anyone used the "response" GPS tracker. A shop in Aus called Jaycar is selling it. They sell all sorts of electrical items, switches and all that sort of stuff.

Anyways its $150.. and works on 2G so not even 3g or 4g... Has a web interface so you can locate it. You obviously need to put a sim in.
It is pretty small and light... costs $150

Here are the stats from the site http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA9011

Does anybody think it will be ok based on those stats ?

Features:
• Real time upload current location to website
• Turn off car engine by Internet platform or SMS for Anti-theft
• Listening sound around tracker with silence by SMS or platform.
• No platform Service charge (Our free tracking platform)
• SIMCOM GSM module (Quad band)
• Upload interval is 30 seconds according the setting of tracker
• Built in shock sensor to control GPS on off to extend battery life
• Shock sensor can be used as car shock & movement alarm
• Website shows history tracking
• Platform uses free Google Maps
• Send alert when vehicle exits a restricted area
• Send alert when vehicle exceeds the restricted speed
• Power supply disconnect alarm

Specifications:
• Data Usage: 0.07KB every 30 second upload interval
• Normal operating temperature: -20 to +55°C
• Restricted operating temperature: -35 to +70°C
• GSM Frequency: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
• GSM & GPS Antenna: Built-in
• GPS Channels: 32
• Locate Accuracy: 5 ~ 10m
• GPS Start Time: 1sec (Hot start), 36sec (Cold start)
• Standby current: 1 - 2mA
• Tracking current: 35mA
• Operating voltage: 12 - 32VDC
• Charge voltage: 5V
• Battery: 800mAh Li-ion
• Unit dimensions: 68(L)x48(W)x20(D)mm

Looks like a slightly (software) modified TK102.
If it is, the problem is still the weight and in some cases size also.

Thanks for the input :) Decided not to get it at the moment.
I felt it.. feels quite light.. So don't think weight should be to much of an issue.. Pretty small as well... What size issues is there with the other ones ?
This one seems pretty standard sized.. compared to others on the internet ?

Anyone looking for something like this should REALLY look at the Flytrex Live. And they just released a 3G model.

Had a look at Flytrex live, looks amazing and only $179.
Only question is... How would you mount it on the Phantom ?? Its fairly large.

*edit* Heaps of vids on youtube on how to install this on a Phantom... Reallly interested in this.. hmmm

justin00 said:
Had a look at Flytrex live, looks amazing and only $179.
Only question is... How would you mount it on the Phantom ?? Its fairly large.

Hi justin00 :)

The Live 3G fits perfectly in the gap between the PV+ gimbal and battery front side. See the pictures in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28149&hilit=flytrex&start=10#p258524

You can also use one of the 3rd-party available mounts for it to mount it between the Phantom landing gear if you prefer, for example, see this mount:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24350&p=254379&hilit=flytrex+3d#p252253

Either option should work nicely. :) We used a flat design for the Flytrex Live, but it is still most likely the most lightweight tracker available today.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that :) I'll have a look now.
Just been watching the youtube videos... That fellow Simon who always has a wine/drink in his videos has a great review video.

When you say "we used a flat design".... Do you mean you are involved in the company and or possibly created it :) ?? Or am I taking things abit to literal heh..

justin00 said:
Thanks for that :) I'll have a look now.
Just been watching the youtube videos... That fellow Simon who always has a wine/drink in his videos has a great review video.

When you say "we used a flat design".... Do you mean you are involved in the company and or possibly created it :) ?? Or am I taking things abit to literal heh..

Yes :) I'm part of the Flytrex team, managing mostly the product design and site sections. Let me know if there is anything I can help from our end.

Thanks for the support! :)

Beware that 2G net is closing down soon, instead 3G/4G takes over.

Flytrex is fine.... as long as power stays supplied to the craft. I had a crash that dislodged the battery. In this scenario Flytrex would have been useless. The tracker I use gas its own power source.

BWJ said:
Beware that 2G net is closing down soon, instead 3G/4G takes over.

Flytrex are shipping a 3G version in November so the 2G issue won't be a problem.

joeg1717 said:
Flytrex is fine.... as long as power stays supplied to the craft. I had a crash that dislodged the battery. In this scenario Flytrex would have been useless. The tracker I use gas its own power source.

Hi joeg1717 :)

Actually Flytrex Live will continue to report your last-seen location at all times, even if the power cuts off. Unlike other trackers, requiring a response from the tracker (via SMS or similar), Flytrex streams your location details at all real time during the entire time of your flight. Unlike other trackers, Flytrex caches your telemetry data -- this means that even if you lost power it will still show you the precise last-seen details on your Flytrex service, regardless to whether the actual Flytrex Live device is still working or not.

Let's consider a crash to a lake. While other trackers will surely stop working and you'll no longer be able to find the location your aircraft hit the water, with Flytrex Live you'll still be able to find the last-seen reported location of your flight, with a 0.25 of a second accuracy. Getting a pin-point on the location you hit the water can be a huge difference between finding your aircraft, recovering your GoPro etc. or loosing it completely.

As far as I can tell, we're the only one offering such service that can really help you recover your aircraft.

Regarding 2G -- after receiving feedback from our pilots on this we set down and worked hard to get the new Live 3G version ready. We're now taking pre-orders with a nice discount on our site and we'll start shipping in about two weeks. You can already find Live 3G flights logged on the Flytrex site by our beta testers who fly with it constantly which are resulting in rock solid connectivity and service. :)

I hope this helps. Of course I'll be glad to help with any other question or discuss this possible scenarios further to show why I'm certain the Live 3G is the best option out there. :)

It'll take a couple years before they shut down any 2G network and these peripherals will probably be outdated by then.

I work for Telco so have info on when 2G will be closing.. not a concern in AUS :)
Thanks for bringing it up though..and if they shipping 3G in Nov I'll probs wait.

What happens if there's no cell coverage? Also, I'm really liking the Flytrex idea, but what about privacy? Is all of the recorded data mine unless I choose otherwise? I see these videos of members adding their flight data to the Flytrap site. I have nothing to hide and like the idea of challenges and the like, but it just seems you could be putting yourself out there unnecessarily at times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl