Responding to law enforcement

The beta is closed, but you can e-mail them to get on the "wait list" in case any of the first 1000 don't download it.

There is also a free UK app SD Lite which shows different graded airspace with access to NOTAMs and airport details.

Great accurate information.

Thank you for providing this to the group. VERY useful.

A couple things... first, if you are flying as a hobbyist, it's NOT illegal or even against FAA regulation to fly within 5 miles of an airport. The Section 336 rule is that you must notify (not get permission) the tower and the airport operator that you will be flying, where, and how high. Second, there are exceptions if a TFR (temporary flight restriction) is in place, special flight rules or other NOTAMS (notice to airmen) that restrict flight of "model aircraft". Third, if you are flying, or perceived to be flying carelessly or recklessly, legal enforcement action can be pursued by the FAA if you are endangering the safety of the NAS, manned aircraft, or other persons/property.

My advice is to be courteous and patient with the officer, and obey his/her instructions. They can always ticket you or arrest you for other things like not obeying a peace officer, refusing to provide identification, resisting arrest, etc. But if you are courteous and nice, those things are very unlikely to happen. If the opportunity presents itself, you could gently educate the officer with documents that you should always carry when flying, such as the guidance from the FAA on model aircraft operation by hobbyists, and perhaps the LAW ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE FOR SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED UAS OPERATIONS (also attached) published by the FAA. Of course there's the Know Before You Fly page too.

As a side note, there is an app that the FAA just released for beta testing (I think you can still request to be a beta tester) call B4UFLY that shows active TFR's and Restricted airspace, and will also facilitate a one click airport/tower notification that you are flying.

Keep it safe, and represent the whole model aircraft and drone community in a positive light!!

The proper answer, if you know they are wrong, is to tell them to have the watch commander come and bring the statute that justifies his demand. If he refuses the fly anyway. US police can't make up the law as they go. And the can't enforce a law that doesnt exist. Let them take legal action and tear them up in court. But you better know what your talking about if you want to play hard ball!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Maybe not...but if they want to put a stop to your activities....they can arrest on suspicion... Ie was the house owner on hand...no....suspicion of intent to break and enter or whatever the U.S. Equivalent is...then take you to their station and detain you while they check your status..and a few hours later declare you free to go!

If asked to stop something you are doing by a police officer I strongly urge that you are courteous and do what he asks, then engage him in conversation. If you feel sure of your ground - and you really feel strongly about what you were doing - ask him to call his watch commander for a decision.

Most often the police officer has a reason he feels is justifiable, and has considerable power to exercise his authority. This is called "office discretion." The line between an officer viewing you as a citizen and a threat can be very narrow and you do not want to cross that line.

If the opportunity presents itself, you could gently educate the officer with documents that you should always carry when flying, such as the guidance from the FAA on model aircraft operation by hobbyists, and perhaps the LAW ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE FOR SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED UAS OPERATIONS (also attached) published by the FAA. Of course there's the Know Before You Fly page too.

Thanks Doc, that is what I was looking for. Does not hurt to show you have knowledge and have done your homework by having "PAPERS" , perhaps the officer will simply say, Have a Nice Day and move on.

I photograph Real Estate so I've been seen by local police, County Sheriff, and State Patrol. Most just wave, some stop and roll down their window to ask friendly questions and chat. I know it's all going to change, but for now, so far, so good.

I no longer respect cops. It's not like it was in the day when I was growing up. They are the enemy, not the friendly guy to help citizens. Too much attitude on their end. They violate my rights, I get a lawyer and sue the county and make them pay. Done it multiple times.

I have been approached by two different officers in the Tallahassee area in the last six months, the first one sat across the street watching me for a while. He said they were given instructions to observe for safe operation .he asked for information on where he could get a F550 like mine . Another officer asked a series of questions like am I filming, what am I going to do with the video,etc.

T

I have been approached by two different officers in the Tallahassee area in the last six months, the first one sat across the street watching me for a while. He said they were given instructions to observe for safe operation .he asked for information on where he could get a F550 like mine . Another officer asked a series of questions like am I filming, what am I going to do with the video,etc.

T
You don't need to answer any questions. The cops job is to collect evidence AGAINST you. Don't incriminate yourself.

I no longer respect cops. It's not like it was in the day when I was growing up. They are the enemy, not the friendly guy to help citizens. Too much attitude on their end. They violate my rights, I get a lawyer and sue the county and make them pay. Done it multiple times.
And that is the attitude that makes the country look like such a joke to the world. The only way ANY cop is an enemy is if YOU make them as such! And from that post alone, you have proven what you want to be seen as.

I expected a lot of backlash to my posts. It's okay. I realize there's a lot of white America in this forum, many of which still live in their "mama's basement". I speak from experience. Minding your own business doesn't work like it used to these days. Cops will find a reason even if only in their own minds to harass you.

This is not an appropriate comment for this forum. Your advice is duly noted. Move on.

A couple things... first, if you are flying as a hobbyist, it's NOT illegal or even against FAA regulation to fly within 5 miles of an airport. The Section 336 rule is that you must notify (not get permission) the tower and the airport operator that you will be flying, where, and how high. Second, there are exceptions if a TFR (temporary flight restriction) is in place, special flight rules or other NOTAMS (notice to airmen) that restrict flight of "model aircraft". Third, if you are flying, or perceived to be flying carelessly or recklessly, legal enforcement action can be pursued by the FAA if you are endangering the safety of the NAS, manned aircraft, or other persons/property.

My advice is to be courteous and patient with the officer, and obey his/her instructions. They can always ticket you or arrest you for other things like not obeying a peace officer, refusing to provide identification, resisting arrest, etc. But if you are courteous and nice, those things are very unlikely to happen. If the opportunity presents itself, you could gently educate the officer with documents that you should always carry when flying, such as the guidance from the FAA on model aircraft operation by hobbyists, and perhaps the LAW ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE FOR SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED UAS OPERATIONS (also attached) published by the FAA. Of course there's the Know Before You Fly page too.

As a side note, there is an app that the FAA just released for beta testing (I think you can still request to be a beta tester) call B4UFLY that shows active TFR's and Restricted airspace, and will also facilitate a one click airport/tower notification that you are flying.

Keep it safe, and represent the whole model aircraft and drone community in a positive light!!
"A couple things... first, if you are flying as a hobbyist, it's NOT illegal or even against FAA regulation to fly within 5 miles of an airport."
That's a misleading statement. Makes no difference whether you call yourself a hobbyist or a commercial operation. No aircraft can operate in class B, C, or D airspace without ATC clearance and two-way radio contact. For example:
§91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace area, each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace must comply with the applicable provisions of this section. In addition, each person must comply with §§91.126 and 91.127. For the purpose of this section, the primary airport is the airport for which the Class D airspace area is designated. A satellite airport is any other airport within the Class D airspace area.
(b) Deviations. An operator may deviate from any provision of this section under the provisions of an ATC authorization issued by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the airspace concerned. ATC may authorize a deviation on a continuing basis or for an individual flight, as appropriate.
(c) Communications. Each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace must meet the following two-way radio communications requirements:
(1) Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (including foreign ATC in the case of foreign airspace designated in the United States) providing air traffic services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace.
(2) Departing flight. Each person—
(i) From the primary airport or satellite airport with an operating control tower must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the control tower, and thereafter as instructed by ATC while operating in the Class D airspace area; or
(ii) From a satellite airport without an operating control tower, must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace area as soon as practicable after departing.
(d) Communications failure. Each person who operates an aircraft in a Class D airspace area must maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that area.
(1) If the aircraft radio fails in flight under IFR, the pilot must comply with §91.185 of the part.

(2) If the aircraft radio fails in flight under VFR, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if—
(i) Weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums;
(ii) Visual contact with the tower is maintained; and
(iii) A clearance to land is received.

Only in class G airspace would the above statement apply. Class G is airspace not designated as A, B, C, OR D and extending from the surface to the base of class E airspace. Airports w/o towers fall under this classification. It is complicated.

wrong forum, I believe you are looking for the Nazi party or Alex Jones, one click over, PLEASE STAY THERE. This forum is about DJI Phantoms...
Sentiments aside, are you not stepping on the moderator's toes, telling people to go away?

Sentiments aside, are you not stepping on the moderator's toes, telling people to go away?
I don't have any power here. Just the power of speech, which the moderator can clip at any minute....But I'm not standing by while someone decides to use this space for hate speech.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Nope, he has the ability to attempt to hijack the forum, just as I have the ability (at the moderator's prerogative) to speak up against it, just as you have the ability to object.

Nope, he has the ability to attempt to hijack the forum, just as I have the ability (at the moderator's prerogative) to speak up against it, just as you have the ability to object.

Not quite. If someone makes an inappropriate post, it doesn't entitle you to reply in an equally inappropriate manner. Report it or ignore it.

In the UK the Police are invited to engage with any UAV pilot they see. They are not over zealous and usually just chat about the drone to make sure your complying with CAA regs. Generally quite positive while still doing their jobs. Problem is the reputation of 100 quality pilots are trashed by 1 idiot. So you can't blame them really.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers