Responding to law enforcement

You dont need a lawyer. If you know what the law says, and you dont break it, then you need nothing more than the law its self. If you want to take it further and sue over it then sure. But that's nothing but childish. Law enforcement is exactly that! And they work for you! Not the other way around. Know the law! Its that simple.
That is some potentially expensive advice your handing out for free.

"overzealous cops" - Absolutely!! And that will continue to grow if people don't hold them accountable. Sure its easy to be the good little citizen. Do what you are told, and dont ever question authority. That leads to increased authority. The word alone, "I know the law", mean absolutely nothing! You are 100% correct!! Thats why I said you KNOW the law, not simply be able to try and hide behind it.

That is some potentially expensive advice your handing out for free.
Not really.. in the end, you still cant be charged with anything if you didn't break the law. Its no different than fighting a speeding ticket. Simply paying the bill is selling yourself short. Sure, it might cost you a few hours off work to go to court. But the possibility of winning your case is there. Not trying is is simply quitting! I never said to go ahead and break the law! I very specifically say to KNOW the law and carry on. Its very similar to all the new gun laws hitting the streets of most states. Know the law, and follow it. Sure, there will be people, and cops, that have no idea. And they will push!! Sometimes HARD. But if you KNOW you are right, you will win. For a city ordinance violation.. its a stupid little ticket. We all have a right to our day in court, and that is the day you have to set things strait. Do you take a lawyer with you to court for a headlight infraction? Speeding? Changing lanes without a signal?

About a year ago, FAA has sent out a memo to every police district in the USA with their recommendations and the steps cops should and should not take. It was available for public reading and you can still track it down.

Basically, cops can most certainly ask you for ID and take down your information. What Fed watch lists you end up on, no one knows.

And of course, different police districts operate differently. Poorly trained cops who shoot up poor people are probably not thinking about drone rules and procedures. The FAA memo they got probably went in the trash.

But in my area, the cops have nothing to do. You call them about a tiny issue, and 5 cop cars show up. These are the sort of areas where cops are well trained and know exactly what they can, should, and shouldn't do.

Google around for that memo. You can also go to your local police station to ask what their procedures are on this matter. (It's better than calling because it's easy to blow off people who call.)

Reactions: III% Streve
Im planning to shoot some video of my State Capitol Building.. so I'm planning to have state emergency management, local police, and the Governor there to part of the whole thing. Partially because I don't want to have to play games with some prick of a cop interrupting my flight, partially because I don't want Capitol Security to over react, and partially because its a GREAT way for me to show the state that aerial photography is NOT a scary thing! I educate on what is right, I don't cower behind what others misconstrue as evil.

Not really.. in the end, you still cant be charged with anything if you didn't break the law. Its no different than fighting a speeding ticket. Simply paying the bill is selling yourself short.

So what you're saying is that you are willing to take a day off from work to fight the ticket and hope that both the ticket and court fees get dismissed? Even if you win, you lose a vacation day, time, gas money, hassle. And you risk losing the case, which means you doubled your loss.

And this presumes that you're in the same jurisdiction. It's an even bigger PIA if you are a few hours away.

As for what you can and can't be charged with, cops have a dozen catch-all charges. "Disturbing the peace" and various negligent and reckless charges. In those cases, unless you have a video of everything, it's your word versus cops word and judges trust cops more than random people. That's reality.

When cops harass people in ghetto areas, this is exactly what they do. They don't get you for specific charges. Instead, they charge you with disturbing the peace and other bullsht and the judge almost always agrees with the cops. Welcome to America.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
So what you're saying is that you are willing to take a day off from work to fight the ticket and hope that both the ticket and court fees get dismissed? Even if you win, you lose a vacation day, time, gas money, hassle. And you risk losing the case, which means you doubled your loss.

And this presumes that you're in the same jurisdiction. It's an even bigger PIA if you are a few hours away.

As for what you can and can't be charged with, cops have a dozen catch-all charges. "Disturbing the peace" and various negligent and reckless charges. In those cases, unless you have a video of everything, it's your word versus cops word and judges trust cops more than random people. That's reality.

When cops harass people in ghetto areas, this is exactly what they do. They don't get you for specific charges. Instead, they charge you with disturbing the peace and other bullsht and the judge almost always agrees with the cops. Welcome to America.
First... I don't loose. Second.. Its all on video, so nothing is a matter of he said/she said. And yes.. I have no problem giving my time to better my community. Because in the end, everyone wins. I guess Im a little lucky because I don't have to drive much of anywhere.
Welcome to America.
And THAT is exactly why I do it! Because that ISN'T America! And I'm doing my part to ensure tit doesn't become that way.

Sometimes this is needed in order to protect our rights. Once you give up a right it's next to impossible to get back. Standing up for ones rights also makes it easier on the next person who wants to do the same legal thing. It might not be wroth it to some people but this does not mean those who don't give up their rights are doing anything wrong.

Ya.. Raymore is a really nice place! Its all about accountability! On both sides! We arent talking about running and hiding in your house after a drive-by. Stop watching tv! Out of what?? 100000 interactions with police officers in any given day, they manged to get 4 arrests on tape that ended in a bad situation. Seems legit to me!!

Not really.. in the end, you still cant be charged with anything if you didn't break the law. Its no different than fighting a speeding ticket. Simply paying the bill is selling yourself short. Sure, it might cost you a few hours off work to go to court. But the possibility of winning your case is there. Not trying is is simply quitting! I never said to go ahead and break the law! I very specifically say to KNOW the law and carry on. Its very similar to all the new gun laws hitting the streets of most states. Know the law, and follow it. Sure, there will be people, and cops, that have no idea. And they will push!! Sometimes HARD. But if you KNOW you are right, you will win. For a city ordinance violation.. its a stupid little ticket. We all have a right to our day in court, and that is the day you have to set things strait. Do you take a lawyer with you to court for a headlight infraction? Speeding? Changing lanes without a signal?
Ask Pirker what it cost the Team BlackSheep to prove themselves right in court?
Not only is your advice potentially expensive, but a bit naive to boot.

I watch the reality cop shows at times. Have you noticed how much stuff they damage or destroy doing their job? Who pays for that? Many are ego driven pieces of crap.

Reality cop shows are on air to portray cops in good light...

It is also the reason why you never see a Cop TV show where all the criminals do, in fact, successfully run away from the cops. There is no TV show like that because the show producers work with the police departments and those police departments are not going to sign up for anything that damages their reputation. THe cops are going to be on their best behavior and the TV crew is there to portray cops in the best light possible.

Sometimes this is needed in order to protect our rights. Once you give up a right it's next to impossible to get back. Standing up for ones rights also makes it easier on the next person who wants to do the same legal thing. It might not be wroth it to some people but this does not mean those who don't give up their rights are doing anything wrong.

Tragedy of the Commons. What is in our personal self interest often conflicts with what is the best interest of the group/country.

Ask Pirker what it cost the Team BlackSheep to prove themselves right in court?
Not only is your advice potentially expensive, but a bit naive to boot.
Thats also why I wont have any trouble getting the Governor to show up. Ive been working with the guy, and the office, for years.

The bottom line... if you arent strong enough to stand for whats right then ya might as well bend over! Im glad that someone gets it. Thanks for the backing @tcope

Reactions: Gary E
About a year ago, FAA has sent out a memo to every police district in the USA with their recommendations and the steps cops should and should not take. It was available for public reading and you can still track it down.

Basically, cops can most certainly ask you for ID and take down your information. What Fed watch lists you end up on, no one knows.

And of course, different police districts operate differently. Poorly trained cops who shoot up poor people are probably not thinking about drone rules and procedures. The FAA memo they got probably went in the trash.

But in my area, the cops have nothing to do. You call them about a tiny issue, and 5 cop cars show up. These are the sort of areas where cops are well trained and know exactly what they can, should, and shouldn't do.

Google around for that memo. You can also go to your local police station to ask what their procedures are on this matter. (It's better than calling because it's easy to blow off people who call.)
"Poorly trained cops who shoot up poor people" Uncalled for cheap shot.

Thats also why I wont have any trouble getting the Governor to show up. Ive been working with the guy, and the office, for years.

Your name dropping in this thread just demonstrates how quad operators really feel about their status and ability to fly without outside interference.

The bottom line... if you arent strong enough to stand for whats right then ya might as well bend over! Im glad that someone gets it. Thanks for the backing @tcope

If you feel that strongly about your right to fly, then instead of using your connections with the governor/whatever, why don't you fly like anyone else and then protect your right in court if you run into issues. Instead of dropping names, left and right.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Your name dropping in this thread just demonstrates how quad operators really feel about their status and ability to fly without outside interference.

If you feel that strongly about your right to fly, then instead of using your connections with the governor/whatever, why don't you fly like anyone else and then protect your right in court if you run into issues. Instead of dropping names, left and right.
Is that supposed to make sense?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"Poorly trained cops who shoot up poor people" Uncalled for cheap shot.

Actually, I think a cheap shot is to call cops racist and deliberate in their actions when -mistakes- happen.

Look at qualifications to become a cop in many areas. In my local area, cops need a college degree and all sorts of additional qualifications and perfect records. When was the last time someone got shot up in my area? Never. By all accounts, things are squeaky clean. In contrast, in Baltimore, they will take almost anyone with a GED degree.

It is a fact that different communities get different quality of service. It is the same with schools, it is the same with parks, it is the same with amenities, it is the same with hospitals.

And yes, it is the same with cops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik