***RESOLVED***HELP! Newbie - - - NAZA issue or...

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to jump to a phantom or 3DR for a while, but due to sheer cash with things being tight, it hasn't happened... until now! FYI this might be a slightly long read due to writing down all my thoughts in this...

I picked up a "for parts" original Phantom (confirmed it's the 1.2) off of a craigslist type sight for the equivalent of about $60 with the intention of learning the internals and intricacies as I learn to fly these larger quads. The description was that it was "flashing yellow" no matter how many times he tried to pair it. I talked to a buddy who flies with a wedding photography company to confirm it was a decent risk, and jumped on it.

After I received it, I noticed some scrapes on the prop nuts, as well as some other scrapes.... looks like he crashed it to some extent. when I opened it up and started digging around, I almost immediately noticed the cable connecting the receiver to the NAZA was loose and a bit bent at the connector, so I carefully bent it back into place, and after about 15 minutes of fiddling I got it connected and responding.

I powered it up in a large space and when trying to fly, it would immediately go out of control and flip upside-down. Thinking it was user error, I went back and checked the props, made sure they were on the right ones, pulled out my iPhone; turned on slo-mo and made sure the props were also spinning in their correct directions... everything checked out.

I then plugged it into my computer to poke through the NAZA assistant, hoping that it would just need calibration... It wouldn't connect... so I checked the cables, changed the cables, etc... to no avail. nothing I did would allow it to connect. After about 2 hours of that I got super frustrated and started looking for replacement parts. I got super lucky and found uavdirect.com who is apparently going out of business and had some stuff marked WAY down. after talking to the owner on the phone for a while, I picked up the receiver, Main PCB, and the USB/LED PCB for $16 shipped (Arrives Monday). long day, went to bed, etc...

The next day I woke up and opened it up to poke around and see if I catch anything that I didn't see while I was frustrated/tired and I noticed a small crack on the NAZA itself... I have NO IDEA how they cracked the NAZA and not the main PCB from a crash(unless maybe heat? different plastics? we are in Arizona...) - I ended up holding on to the landing gear while turning it on (dangerous.... I know... I would do this with my smaller quads when trying to figure out motor issues...) and pitching it different directions, and it seemed really inconsistent... certain motors would push hard, and others wouldn't seem to get out of an idle. THEN on top of all that, it lost connection to the remote and will not see it anymore... spent almost 2 hours changing the cable, checking connectors and continuity; I can not get it to respond either way... not even a "red light" on the receiver anymore.

So after all of this, here's my question: Could it be possible that the broken receiver could be freaking the controller out, or does that sound more like a bad flight controller? is it even worth it to buy a flight controller after all this or would it be better to invest in another drone? If I have to get another flight controller, it'd probably be better to get a NAZA V2 right?

Thanks!

Nick

Do you have a site address where I could get the needed drivers/software to load onto my Phantom1.1? Congratulations on getting yours to run!

Do you have a site address where I could get the needed drivers/software to load onto my Phantom1.1? Congratulations on getting yours to run!
go on youtube.com and in the search area type in DJI Phantom NAZA Assistant Software Tutorial - DSLRPros

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31