Resolution of video signal...

Reaction score
Took my Phantom 3 out for my first flights the other day. I'm using an Ipad Mini 2 for my tablet. I made a few video recordings and the resolution was awesome!!! But while flying the resolution on my Mini 2 was really grainy. Was curious if there are ways or settings that will increase the resolution in the live video while flying??

I guess maybe I was expecting the signal feed on my Mini 2 to be close to the same resolution the video is being recorded to the SD card. Were my expectations a bit unrealistic in that regard?

Were my expectations a bit unrealistic in that regard?
Yes. The feed under perfect conditions is 720p @ 6mbps. It looks good, but no where near what the camera is capable of recording, and leagues above what the wifi equipped birds are sending down the wire.

Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong I still love my phantom. Wanted to use my drone to help scout for deer for hunting. So every little bit of resolution and clearness of the video feed helps. I will just fly it a bit lower than intended to make up for it. Only when I get up higher is when it's really hard to see any detail on the video feed.

Phantom 3 Advanced feed is only 2 Mbps even though the firmware shows a slider for settings from 2 - 10 Mbps. This has been confirmed numerous places on this forum. The Phantom 3 Pro live feed can be ste for 10 Mbps and will receive 10 Mbps under ideal conditions but deteriorates with the distance from RC. and it also has the same 2-10 Mbps slider setting for live feed.
At one point, early on in the release of the P3, the info on DJI's website stated that both the P3A and P3P had capability of receiving up to 10 Mbps live feed but was since corrected. One of the disappointments I realised after I bought a P3A over a P3P believing the only difference was the camera.

Well what a kick in the rear.

I did some searching around after your post, and found deep down into the specs of the Advanced and Professional there is a listing for the differences in bitrate. But it's literally "read the fine print" type of documentation. And prior to buying my Phantom, I may not have known exactly what it meant by that specific spec anyways. Comparing the two models prior to buying, I relied on DJI's selling points between the two, and figured anything outside of that must be very minor differences, if there where any differences outside of their selling points at all. I certainly wish DJI would make the bitrate difference MUCH more obvious to newer buyers who may not know what it may mean in terms of performance.

This is my first drone, and it's one of those things I will chalk up as a lesson learned I suppose.

Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong I still love my phantom. Wanted to use my drone to help scout for deer for hunting. So every little bit of resolution and clearness of the video feed helps. I will just fly it a bit lower than intended to make up for it. Only when I get up higher is when it's really hard to see any detail on the video feed.
You might want to first check with the state you plan on doing this scouting for deer. Most states have now issued complete bans on using a drone for the purpose of scouting deer and could result in a serious fine if you're caught doing so.

I'm lucky I live in a state that doesn't have any such laws....yet at least. All the regulations for my state say are about using computer aided devices to remotely operate firearms in the taking of wildlife.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4