Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision mode

Re: STICKY: Resetting HOME Location & RTH in Naza or Vision

You won't have a GPS lock if you're not in GPS mode, I don't believe, so resetting the home position will have no meaning. Best to have S1 full up, and a good GPS lock on at least 6 sats before you reset your home.

Not sure what you're asking in the second question. Does S1 apply HOW? Again, GPS is involved in Course Lock... so it should be on.

Just read the whole thread and thanks to Ben as well as all good contributors. I saw an interesting question not answered.

#1: If you take off and are able to fly to a lower terrain will the altimeter sit on 0 or go into negative format ?? I have not done it yet but curious.
#2: I have seen it referenced that if you are above the 66' threshold that a RTH command will cause the Phantom to rise to 200' or to rise 200', then move horizontally to home before descending. Is this old info that is no longer applicable or just not mentioned here ??

I can answer #2, but have no experience with #1... so have to leave that for someone else.

If you take off, and your home location is locked at alt 0, then fly anywhere below 20m, on RTH your Phantom will rise to 20m and move laterally to above the home point and descend.

If you fly above 20m, and RTH is activated, your Phantom will maintain it's current altitude, move laterally to above the home point, and descend.

If you fly to any altitude (say 10m), and reset your home point using S1, if RTH is activated, your Phantom will rise to 20m above THAT home point (30m in this example), or maintain it's altitude of already above 30m, fly laterally to above the new home point and descend.

ProfessorStein said:
I can answer #2, but have no experience with #1... so have to leave that for someone else.

If you take off, and your home location is locked at alt 0, then fly anywhere below 20m, on RTH your Phantom will rise to 20m and move laterally to above the home point and descend.

If you fly above 20m, and RTH is activated, your Phantom will maintain it's current altitude, move laterally to above the home point, and descend.

If you fly to any altitude (say 10m), and reset your home point using S1, if RTH is activated, your Phantom will rise to 20m above THAT home point (30m in this example), or maintain it's altitude of already above 30m, fly laterally to above the new home point and descend.
Thanks, please advise, if this is logical thinking : say I am flying and inadvertently get behind a building or tree line and want to use RTH, my best coarse of action is to throttle up to attain ample altitude for almost any situation and then RTH. ( and hope there is nothing above )
I seems doing a couple of time to climb experiments is in order so that I know what it takes in terms of seconds to assend to 200 or 300 additional feet.

Well... you're kind of in a sticky situation at that point anyway. You've lost LOS of your bird (which you should always try to avoid doing, obviously) and have no clue what the best course of action is. Is there anything above you? Below you? You just don't know. But, hey, sometimes it happens, right.

If it were me, in that situation, I would climb, yes, until I could see it above the trees, and then use HOME LOCK mode, rather than RTH, to bring it closer to me. That way I have much more control over how far and how fast it returns.

But, of course, that's only available if you're flying in NAZA.

I am only speaking from logic but it seems unlikely that the phantom, when descending to land in RTH mode from a re-established home lock at say 100' elevation that it just descends until it senses it is on the ground. I have watched a lot of RTH videos and knowing the altimeter is likely not accurate enough to decide where ground is for sure. Do you think it is programming that might recognize the ground effect ballooning we see instead or is it all barometric altimeter, based.

I find the altitude sensor not that accurate. Surely not enough to land. When it auto lands - (and does it well) could it be using the ground effect of the air to tell it that it's and the landing elevation? It auto-lands - by defending slowly. But soon as it's near the ground it seems to pause a bit before landing. (slowing even more) Do you think it's sensing the ground effect change in the motors?

I don't think it's smart enough to know the actual elevation of the GPS point. If you set a new home point in the air... same thing. It could not know what the elevation is at that point. (what if you wanted to set the new home point on a car or elevated platform? It seems to sense where the landing point elevation is without really knowing. I can only assume that it's sensing the ground effect prop wash as it gets closer to the landing point?

my previous post was in response to the initial test/post. It wasn't until after I posted that I read the post before mine. Which says the same thing. RIDETOEAT - yes, that is what I suspected. It's the only way it could know. I think it defends until it the motors are signaled for a decease in power due to the ground effect. (or that bump in elevation) as it's descending. As I do haven't see the altimeter to be nearly as accurate as it would need to be.

I've also been experimenting with the resetting of home from S2 toggle and thought as well that it adds to the altitude you're at on reset, but lands fine regardless of the altitude by feel for the ground. Not sure how it does this sense the standard rate of descent from higher altitudes on return to home seems a little fast if it doesn't slow up as the ground approaches. Nonetheless, it does work. Could someone help me better understand when you'd want to fly in the Zaza mode? I've read the instructions up and down, but don't quite get it when you'd want to do this (do you lose all GPS in this mode?) and can you switch to that mode from Vsion mode while in the air, or do you have to change something on the ground? If there is a layman's explainer of Naza, for the Vision2+, I'd love to see it. Thanks much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31