Reserve Battery Concept

Reaction score
I was thinking, how important is a battery backup? Just as important as a file backup on your computer?
Imagine not backing up any of your files on your computer and then the HD crashing and losing everything. Thats how i feel with the Phantom now..

Why not develop an intelligent battery where there is a reserve smaller capacity battery inside the Phantom which syncs with the external battery and keeps a 5-10% charge in the reserve... This will prevent the battery fail issues etc...

What do you guys think?

This won't happen since many would run their battery to reserve status each and every charge just to gain those few extra moments of flight time only to end running out of juice and losing their Phantom.

Reactions: dirtybum
This won't happen since many would run their battery to reserve status each and every charge just to gain those few extra moments of flight time only to end running out of juice and losing their Phantom.

I don't think that would make sense.. I never fly under 30% and bring it back in.. I think it would be beneficial in battery issues where people let there battery sit and drain and go from 70% to 6% in seconds causes a crash.. There would be an extra 10% reserve that can land it safely.

Well, there are the low and critical battery alerts in the Go App. I set mine to 30% and 10%, respectively. I have flown past 30% but never below 10%.

Well, there are the low and critical battery alerts in the Go App. I set mine to 30% and 10%, respectively. I have flown past 30% but never below 10%.
Yes, however you are aware, the auto drain option in the Phantom batteries can cause an issue.. I never personally fly unless I am using a fresh charged 100% battery however in some cases when you are not on a full charge or a battery has went thru a certain amount of cycles a battery can show 80-90% and instantly drop to 6% or less within an instant.. Thus losing your Phantom.. This would prevent this.

Yep, good idea, but I would definitely use up the reserve every chance I get, i would also change my critical bat warning/autoland to bout 3% if i could

OP may be right but whatever extra reserve is provided, if flier is not disciplined will consume on the flight going to the disaster.

Current issue is to link the battery characteristic curves with the not 100% charged batteries and we should tackle the issues directly rather than providing an alternate solution which may not work in all cases. Its a tech issue of generating battery discharge curves under different conditions and battery manufacturers should provide that info to DJI to program battery FW correctly.

to be honest a super small battery like that would not have a discharge rating high enough to power it. im an electrical engineer, and it just became obvious to me that what some of us need to do is add a large capacitor, it would prevent the high discharge (brown outs)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31