Researchers say FAA is really overblowing risk posed by small drones

It's not just the fact of what damage a quad could do to a plane by hitting it...it's how the pilot may react and maybe lose control. Imagine something hitting the windshield of your car while driving down the road at 70 mph
Short answer, two pilots. One is flying the other is following along on the controls. Common practice.

"In my mind you should never ever fly near and airport, around people, flyover buildings, etc. unless certified."
Exactly what certification are you referring to?

"Ask a pilot can he just jump in an airplane/helicopter, without filing a report etc."
Yes is the answer

"The phantom is not a toy, and should be respected , like a pilot respects his/hers aircraft."
Quite true.

Short answer, two pilots. One is flying the other is following along on the controls. Common practice.

"Following along on the controls" almost never happens in fixed wing operations were two pilots are required.

Not every aircraft has two pilots on board . I used to fly alone most of the time.

Correct, I failed to state that I was referring to commercial traffic which is 40% of ATC workload. Most of the reports we hear about from the MSM are from commercial pilots at low altitude within controlled airspace.

"Following along on the controls" almost never happens in fixed wing operations were two pilots are required.

Is the second pilot asleep? Nope (s)he is following along doing other tasks associated with safe flight. There are many controls other than the yoke and pedals.

Someone posted that an FAA committee is about to recommend a HUGE relaxation of drone regulations when flying near people.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20