Researchers say FAA is really overblowing risk posed by small drones

I actually think you are missing my point. We have no control of birds in the air but we can certainty control drones. A few years ago who thought about all the restrictions that are happening now. Thanks to all the stupid people doing all the stunts without regard for others have brought this on us. And they are still doing it. We have FAA suggestions and regs on how to fly. Many will not follow this. Many are on this forum. I can tell by their posts.

I think you are missing the point. No one is condoning flying near an airport or in excess of 400'. But the media (and even the FAA) is spamming people with information that drones are going to cause a plane to crash. You just need to read the replies to the article linked by the OP. People should be more in fear of their plane hitting a bird then a drone.... and that happens all of the time! What this means is people should not fear a drone hitting their plane and we should not need to make _more_ laws limiting drone flight as they are not needed.

So research finally has come out saying what I said last year.
Thanks for the OP.
If you tell certain people around here that all this government involvement wasn't necessary they get REALLY agitated.

This was blown so far out of proportion there should be a Congressional investigation.
People "should" go to jail.

Reactions: TheTanger
Regarding the OP, there is still YET to be one confirmed drone hitting a plane OR helicopter of any sort-and the odds are overwhelmingly against it happening...yet panic is everywhere.

Here's another piece based on the same study:

You'll likely be murdered before a drone ever hits your plane
Your batting average isn't good.

I remember a drone hitting a plane. between #1 & #2 engine on a SpecOps MC130
The military and testing bave both had major crashes, hit planes, and had flyaways at an alarming rate. IIRC about 20-30/ yr that they will actually admit to with a little coaxing.

I forgot to mention, they are the "pros".

No wonder the FAA is "skeered" of the public drone operators.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

The military and testing bave both had major crashes, hit planes, and had flyaways at an alarming rate. IIRC about 20-30/ yr that they will actually admit to with a little coaxing.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic?
Do you have links?
If you're being serious, I think it's very "odd" that only military planes have taken hits unless these were in hostile territories and were deliberate actions.

Why are you trying to make drones look bad though? He's just stating his opinion and stating that there has never been a know drone into plain crash. Will there be one in the future possibly but possibly not. More laws don't stop bad things from happening just look at are jails there the most populated in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why are you trying to make drones look bad though? He's just stating his opinion and stating that there has never been a know drone into plain crash. Will there be one in the future possibly but possibly not. More laws don't stop bad things from happening just look at are jails there the most populated in the world.

I am stating/posting facts. He is posting opinions.
The optics will be what they are.
The point is, if the testing and piloting of drones by military "pros" can cause that many issues, what is our defense as "operators."
Surely one can see the FAA's point of view.

Although if they visit and read posts here, I'd think they'd just ban drones.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic?
Do you have links?
If you're being serious, I think it's very "odd" that only military planes have taken hits unless these were in hostile territories and were deliberate actions.
Well to answer one of your questions, there are lots of drone flights where military a/c operate and more of them/ more often and decades longer than we have had to operate.

Still doesn't alter the fact of crashes by military drones on US/canadian and unknown soil as they still haven't found ar least one drone over the US/Canadian border.

Well to answer one of your questions, there are lots of drone flights where military a/c operate and more of them/ more often and decades longer than we have had to operate.

Still doesn't alter the fact of crashes by military drones on US/canadian and unknown soil as they still haven't found ar least one drone over the US/Canadian border.
Enjoy flying your drone and let's let the faa worry about the laws because that's what we pay them to do.

I suspect many of the drone sightings are not our hobby drones. Like the one that cratered in PA, near an elementary school or the one they still can't find that supposedly "crashed in Lake Ontario."

agreed,

I suggested that a while back!
at the altitude many sightings are supposed to happen and speeds etc.
it just might be the 3 letter guys out for something in the sighting area

As others have said...link? No link, no proof. Most what you just explained sounds like nonsense anyway-you give no specifics (type/size of drone).

A P3 cannot even fly over 1,600 ft-which is quite low for larger aircraft and would only be plausible during a descent/ascent scenario right near the airport...which obviously would be a situation much less likely considering how many eyes are out there and geofencing/NFZ's.

This can be settled quite easily with some proof-if you can't come up with just one valid link from the Internet...seems like you're the one whiffing.

Last edited:
LOL...I figured Air Ontario out...he was talking about an ACTUAL drone.

A MILITARY drone which we all know is nothing like a recreational/consumer/pro quadcopter. It doesn't hover, carries ordinance, about 12 FEET long and flies like a plane...that sort of thing.

The cargo plan made an emergency landing just fine with the drone still impaled on it's wing. This misleading 'evidence' of drone strikes is totally off-base from the OP's article about RECREATIONAL UAV's. Please...if you can, post a REAL recreational drone (quadcopter) vs. plane collision of any kind.

Last edited:
I think you are missing the point. No one is condoning flying near an airport or in excess of 400'. But the media (and even the FAA) is spamming people with information that drones are going to cause a plane to crash. You just need to read the replies to the article linked by the OP. People should be more in fear of their plane hitting a bird then a drone.... and that happens all of the time! What this means is people should not fear a drone hitting their plane and we should not need to make _more_ laws limiting drone flight as they are not needed.
Exactly, well put.

And of course there still should never be any drones in controlled airspace nor above maximum height.
Assuming that drone pilots follow these rules, I think the risks are close to none, just as the article describes.

A MILITARY drone which we all know is nothing like a recreational/consumer/pro quadcopter. It doesn't hover, carries ordinance, about 12 FEET long and flies like a plane...that sort of thing.

The cargo plan made an emergency landing just fine with the drone still impaled on it's wing. This misleading 'evidence' of drone strikes is totally off-base from the OP's article about RECREATIONAL UAV's. Please...if you can, post a REAL recreational drone (quadcopter) vs. plane collision of any kind.

Yep and that is the problem with calling UAV a drone 90% of the people unfamiliar with quads think the 2 are the same . I've had some arguments over the years because of people taking the media as truth they did this for a reason scare people and laws get made .

As others have said...link? No link, no proof. Most what you just explained sounds like nonsense anyway-you give no specifics (type/size of drone).

A P3 cannot even fly over 1,600 ft-which is quite low for larger aircraft and would only be plausible during a descent/ascent scenario right near the airport...which obviously would be a situation much less likely considering how many eyes are out there and geofencing/NFZ's.

This can be settled quite easily with some proof-if you can't come up with just one valid link from the Internet...seems like you're the one whiffing.
Enjoy your crow and your hitless/clueless streak on this topic and your lack of Google Fu.
Here is the link to the specific drone crash with inflight aircraft I was referencing so you can get someone to read it to you.

Midair Collision Between a C-130 and a UAV

Also a news flash for ya....not every drone is a Phantom, not every owner/operator is in USA. With all the years drones have been flying AND the military has be piloting, there have been around 400 crashes(as I previously mentioned) that they will admit to. Several on US/Canadian soil.

Nice cop out / deflection.

Read this slow.
My post's referencing drone losses and crashes(including civilian) was supporting the reason FAA is "skeered." If the military(supposedly better than "Us" can screw up that many times that badly it goes without saying that we are potentially way worse.

Can you grasp that now that I put it in Cliff notes for you?

"When bikers learn to ride on the sidewalks, I'll yield to aircraft."

And people wonder why the FAA is watching us, reading this forum, reading Facebook, and watching Youtube....

Einstein, may want to brush up on your Google Fu.
Drones Hover, even military ones in spite of your posting otherwise.
You stepped on your tool and now want to try and add on exceptions to watch you posted/what you meant.

You posted that there existed no evidence of a single drone collision with an airplane.
I posted evidence proving your statement wrong.
You were wrong, eat your crow and run along and let us adults talk.

Einstein, may want to brush up on your Google Fu.
Drones Hover, even military ones in spite of your posting otherwise.
You stepped on your tool and now want to try and add on exceptions to watch you posted/what you meant.

You posted that there existed no evidence of a single drone collision with an airplane.
I posted evidence proving your statement wrong.
You were wrong, eat your crow and run along and let us adults talk.
Wondered who you were talking too....lol, just realized it is one of 3 people I have on ignore. Now your posts make much more sense.

Lets dial it back in here as it's gotten a little out of control.
Some members have already been warned but theres more where that came from.
Lets stay on topic and keep it nice and friendly.

offtopic.gif

Well folks , I have been making my rounds in the forum and stop at what is interesting to me.
And this one caught me right away. I'm sorry folks but here is my logic. It would be aright if we were talking about RC craft, but we are not. We are talking about a new way of flying machines that are computer controlled. These new machines now interfere with real world flying. They now go great distances and can go great heights. And the folks in here believe, not all , that they can take their bird anywhere and fly. I come from RC flying, and I can tell you it's a big difference. RC flying you stay in your boundaries, Phantom flying you can go outside those boundaries and cause uncontrollable risk. FAA had no choice but to put restrictions on drone flying, because you have now crossed over to real world flying. Therefore, all the rules should apply if flying in real world airspace.
In my mind you should never ever fly near and airport, around people, flyover buildings, etc. unless certified.
Ask a pilot can he just jump in an airplane/helicopter, without filing a report etc.
The phantom is not a toy, and should be respected , like a pilot respects his/hers aircraft.
Since the new laws and restrictions, it has reduced my flying time.
But I know with this new hobby I took on, I had to take on being a responsible pilot and not cause injury to anyone or anyplace.
Robert

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj