Researchers say FAA is really overblowing risk posed by small drones

Once upon a time before drones everything close in flight other than another plane(easy ID) was a bird or on rare occasion a UFO.

Now everything that isn't positively IDed as another plane that is too close is a drone.

The military doesn't help much either when they lose control of them in US airspace.
Nothing like ATC getting a call from a military drone launch that starts out like "uh watch out....."

Reactions: JKDSensei
Of course it's overblown. Heck it's overblown on this forum. Did you see the recent post about a bird hitting a small plane? That's a classic example.
If a plane hits my quad someone was already in deep dodo. My helicopter flying buddies just laugh at some of the posts about a heli close to a quad. With the down wash from the blades the quad wouldn't stand a chance of getting to the cockpit.

Of course it's overblown. Heck it's overblown on this forum. Did you see the recent post about a bird hitting a small plane? That's a classic example.
If a plane hits my quad someone was already in deep dodo. My helicopter flying buddies just laugh at some of the posts about a heli close to a quad. With the down wash from the blades the quad wouldn't stand a chance of getting to the cockpit.
I suspect many of the drone sightings are not our hobby drones. Like the one that cratered in PA, near an elementary school or the one they still can't find that supposedly "crashed in Lake Ontario."

Aircraft are required to be able to sustain an impact with an 8ibs bird and still continue flight. An 8lbs bird may not be as dense as some lightweight plastic but its still 8lbs and much larger. Truth is, planes hit birds _every day_. It's just not reported in the news as... it happens every day. No one cares. Credible people have also states impact with a drone would not cause harm to the flight of a plane. There is no reason to suspect that a "flock" of drones is going to hit a plane.

There are the same requirements of helicopters. They are required to withstand an impact with a 2.2lbs bird. That should still be more brutal then any drone impact.

How many drones have hit planes? Put that on top of the reasoning that it probably would not affect the plane anyway.

Are people over-reacting? Of course. They are simply going by the very limited and incorrect information being reported to them. We now know for a fact that even the FAA was lying about the situation. This _is_ a fact.

It's not just the fact of what damage a quad could do to a plane by hitting it...it's how the pilot may react and maybe lose control. Imagine something hitting the windshield of your car while driving down the road at 70 mph

It's not just the fact of what damage a quad could do to a plane by hitting it...it's how the pilot may react and maybe lose control. Imagine something hitting the windshield of your car while driving down the road at 70 mph
How is that any different from how they react to a flock of geese, ducks or pigeons who can fly very randomly? I would like some simulator testing to see if drones of various sizes and colors could even be seen at 200 mph or more against a white/light blue background. Do pilots of commercial planes even have time to react even if they do see them?

My helicopter flying buddies just laugh at some of the posts about a heli close to a quad. With the down wash from the blades the quad wouldn't stand a chance of getting to the cockpit.

Helicopter pilots are going to be primarily concerned with a tail rotor strike and subsequent loss of control. And yes, a tail rotor hitting a Phantom would more than likely cause rotor or gear box failure in any light helicopter and could easily be a fatal.

http://flightsafety.org/hs/hs_may_june96.pdf

And by the way, you don't want to find out what a cracked helicopter windshield or chin bubble is going to cost–if that's the only thing that's damaged.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rele...n_Fatal_Crash_of_Helicopter_in_Louisiana.aspx

Sagebrush

How is that any different from how they react to a flock of geese, ducks or pigeons who can fly very randomly? I would like some simulator testing to see if drones of various sizes and colors could even be seen at 200 mph or more against a white/light blue background. Do pilots of commercial planes even have time to react even if they do see them?
What is the difference?? Birds can have the sense to move out of the way. They do that all the time as I drive down the street. Drones don't. Do you really want to be the one to test this out?.

The fact is...........regardless of whether it kills, maims or does no damage, it requires an immediate interruption of flight and ground inspection before released to fly again.

They give you 400 ft. to play in to your heart's content. Why do you have to/want fly near airplanes?

Lol ya he's going to lose control of a plane. He's in air not on a road [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What is the difference?? Birds can have the sense to move out of the way. They do that all the time as I drive down the street. Drones don't. Do you really want to be the one to test this out?.
I think you missed the point. Bird strikes are still common, whether or not they try to avoid you. The question is, even if you saw them at 250mph could you react fast enough in the correct manner to avoid them? Also, you car is going about 40mph dude, you have much more reaction time-as does the bird LOL.

Aircraft are required to be able to sustain an impact with an 8ibs bird and still continue flight. An 8lbs bird may not be as dense as some lightweight plastic but its still 8lbs and much larger. Truth is, planes hit birds _every day_. It's just not reported in the news as... it happens every day. No one cares. Credible people have also states impact with a drone would not cause harm to the flight of a plane. There is no reason to suspect that a "flock" of drones is going to hit a plane.

There are the same requirements of helicopters. They are required to withstand an impact with a 2.2lbs bird. That should still be more brutal then any drone impact.

How many drones have hit planes? Put that on top of the reasoning that it probably would not affect the plane anyway.

Are people over-reacting? Of course. They are simply going by the very limited and incorrect information being reported to them. We now know for a fact that even the FAA was lying about the situation. This _is_ a fact.
I totally get your point!!! Your not saying actually try it out like people are saying but of course u will have guys trying to prove u wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I think you missed the point. Bird strikes are still common, whether or not they try to avoid you. The question is, even if you saw them at 250mph could you react fast enough in the correct manner to avoid them? Also, you car is going about 40mph dude, you have much more reaction time-as does the bird LOL.
I actually think you are missing my point. We have no control of birds in the air but we can certainty control drones. A few years ago who thought about all the restrictions that are happening now. Thanks to all the stupid people doing all the stunts without regard for others have brought this on us. And they are still doing it. We have FAA suggestions and regs on how to fly. Many will not follow this. Many are on this forum. I can tell by their posts.

Regarding the OP, there is still YET to be one confirmed drone hitting a plane OR helicopter of any sort-and the odds are overwhelmingly against it happening...yet panic is everywhere.

Here's another piece based on the same study:

You'll likely be murdered before a drone ever hits your plane
These statements like that are dumb. Who has done an actual study to prove these stats? People open their mouth and crap comes out. There are many more people on earth than drones. Not a good argument.

Again...this is just indicative of the paranoia, and your comments prove the point of this thread. I have no doubt if there an actual drone hit on a plane, we'd hear about it more than Donald Trump! There is already enough drone-rage without hard evidence of any accidents, so why would you think they would 'hide' any of it. That makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Pilots are trained completely different then someone driving a car. Pilots don't swerve a plane like they do when steering a vehicle. It's apples and oranges. Even if a pilot were to "swerve" a plane, they don't crash into a tree, ditch or guardrail.

A drone hitting my car at 70mph? I'm having no issue with driving straight into it and hoping for the best.

Birds moving out of the way does not even come into this issue. Planes hit birds _every day_. That is a fact. In that some might happen to fly the correct direction and avoid a plane instead of flying right into it is a non-point. Birds hit planes every day. How many drones have hit planes?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4