Reprogramming the left joystick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be getting my first Phantom tomorrow. I've been voraciously consuming Youtube videos and reading material. I know I'm going to have trouble right out of the box because I've been a "real" pilot since I was 17 and I don't know of an aircraft in the world in which pushing the stick forward causes the aircraft to go up and pulling it back causes it to go down. Maybe it's that way because it was made on the other side of the world.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to reprogram the joystick in firmware so forward pressure on the joystick sends it down and back pressure = up?

Thanks,

brian

Yes you can go into assistant software -> basic -> RC - where you calibrate sticks you can reverse the actions of each.

The sticks work that way because of the physics involved in multirotors. When you push the left stick up you're increasing the throttle, not moving the "elevator", so that's why that causes the aircraft to rise. Here the right stick is the elevator, and when you push it forward the nose does dip down, which results in forward movement in a multirotor rather than a dive in an airplane (and vice-versa for pulling that stick back). Right horizontal stick is ailerons (roll) and left horizontal stick is rudder (yaw).

Think more like a helicopter than an airplane.

Yeah, I guess it's kind of a hybrid.

Helicopters have a collective, like a parking brake to the side of the pilot with a motorcycle-like throttle on its end. The collective controls the pitch of the blades and when combined with increased throttle it sends the aircraft vertical from a hover. On some helicopters, pulling back on the collective automatically increases throttle sending it up. Still in fast and level flight, pulling back on the cyclic (center stick) of a helicopter pitches the aircraft up and it will climb like a fixed wing, and pushing it down will dive the aircraft.

So pulling back (up) on the collective = up.

Anyway, it's good to know that the joystick can be reconfigured, which is a lot more easy than reconfiguring ME :). Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn