Report on "60 Minutes" tonight about recreational "Drones"

Reaction score
I was watching CBS this morning when I saw a promo for a report on "60 Minutes" on the explosion of the number of recreational "drones". The quote that followed was a bit sinister "They do more than you think". I am hoping they will be responsible and make it a balanced report of how they are used by farmers, ranchers, etc. My fear is that it will be another "the sky is falling, the Government must save us". We'll see. No matter what, in the long haul, I don't expect any immediate action. Every news organization has been wanting major gun control....but nothing has changed much. They also fussed about the "Internet" and tried to drum up some hysteria...but not much happened on that front either. Too any people in this country want a "Hoverment" rather than a Government.

Re: Report on "60 Minutes" tonight about recreational "Drone

Zippy1144 said:
My fear is that it will be another "the sky is falling, the Government must save us". We'll see.

I hear ya! I fear the Government trying to save anything. They run the USPS, an organization that looses 5 billion a year. Our Government scares me.

RenoReno said:
Zippy1144 said:
My fear is that it will be another "the sky is falling, the Government must save us". We'll see.

I hear ya! I fear the Government trying to save anything. They run the USPS, an organization that looses 5 billion a year. Our Government scares me.

The government doesn't frighten me as much as the population that seems hell-bent on trading freedom for safety. I used to be a Republican, but now I find both parties trying to stick their nose into my personal business. I blame citizens who pressure legislation to be passed restricting everything they fear or is offensive to them.

Fear. You hit the nail on the head with that word. Fear is the problem. People fear what they don't understand. Fear has been used since the dawn of man to control. It's one of the reasons that religion was established. Those who can harness fear and provide an answer to the misunderstood or simply what we don't understand can rule the world. 60 minutes can start with talking about people spying with drones thus causing people to fear that they are being spied on and they can end their piece with experts saying the only way to be safe is to ban drones. The fear was sparked and then solved. Sally homemaker who doesn't even know what a drone is will call her congressman and tell him she wants a ban on drones. That's where the dumb laws come into play. Fear.

If they ban "drones" ie Quadcopters, Octocopters etc., they'll also have to ban rc model airplanes. Right now, there is hysteria and it is in the news....it sells air time. I've been through this several times in my long life. When I was a kid, comic books were a target; then it was TV; then it was rock music; then it was adult movies; then it was video games; then it was the Internet and file sharing. There are a lot of people who have a lot of time on their hands...and there are plenty of people to exploit them. Frankly, I wouldn't object that much if there had to be a licensing test so that everyone knows the "common sense" of safe flying. To me, this is a civil court problem...if you cause damage...you pay for damage. If you cause injury...you can be sued. These laws are already in place. And the excuse that Quads can cause air incidents is fairly lame.....are we going to ban large birds or license them with tracker bands?

Here we go... 5 minutes

Fairly balanced presentation for the most part.

Agreed, I thought that the over all take was new and upcoming...60 minutes has done far more damaging pieces. Having the 95 year old Morley Shaffer be the person that is reporting didnt really fit too well....

So, it's safe to say we can go out and fly our aircraft tomorrow without being social pariah?

cvagrad86 said:
Agreed, I thought that the over all take was new and upcoming...60 minutes has done far more damaging pieces. Having the 95 year old Morley Shaffer be the person that is reporting didnt really fit too well....

Definitely agree. Morley was not the best choice, should have switched with the Tabasco story.

It won't play on a tablet without the app, and the app costs money. Someone give me the gist of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermz said:
It won't play on a tablet without the app, and the app costs money. Someone give me the gist of it.

Old man + hipster + drones, hijinks ensue. Nothing you didn't already know, and generally a fair report good enough to bring the last 5% of the nation up to speed on the subject.

That sounds good. I guess they have to hype up the promos for it, push the 'evil' drones. Glad the actual piece was pretty fair.

My favorite part was when Colin was explaining GPS to him the way you remind your grandfather how to use the TV remote.

I agree. It was fairly balanced. More pro than con until the liberals took over.
Some of things I took from it.
If the 95 (?) year old Morley Shaffer can fly one (even for 20 secs.) anybody can.
I wonder what Colin Guinn is thinking about granting that interview now?
Dianne Feinstein has not done her research into what we are all about and is just commenting on something that she knows nothing about.
I think 99.999% of the members of this forum are not even thinking about doing anything nefarious with their Multirotors (not drones!!) but the mainstream media and the politicians are painting us all with the same brush.
Mofroggy

Mofroggy said:
I agree. It was fairly balanced. More pro than con until the liberals took over.
Some of things I took from it.
If the 95 (?) year old Morley Shaffer can fly one (even for 20 secs.) anybody can.
I wonder what Colin Guinn is thinking about granting that interview now?
Dianne Feinstein has not done her research into what we are all about and is just commenting on something that she knows nothing about.
I think 99.999% of the members of this forum are not even thinking about doing anything nefarious with their Multirotors (not drones!!) but the mainstream media and the politicians are painting us all with the same brush.
Mofroggy

It's something that is growing rapidly in use and popularity (and not going away), therefore the government feels the need to regulate it in some form or fashion. If/when they do, they will try to go too far.

I have a real problem with the government's "need" these days to regulate and put its tentacles on every single area of our lives. Because of a very few bad apples, they will try to shackle everyone else. Irritating.

Everyone out there now has a phone with an HD camera on it, but yes, "drones" are a breach of privacy?

Being that there's really not any laws concerning them at all, I wouldn't have an issue with a few regulations to help keep things under control. I'm just scared they'll go to far with it, making it ridiculously difficult to just casually fly them. Flying under 400' within LOS on property you have permission to fly over for non commercial uses needs to be left alone. I don't want to see some sort of crazy license to fly them, and don't want commercial use to be regulated beyond imagination. Just some sort of basic permit for commercial use. I can definitely see the guys flying well beyond LOS with FPV rigs running into some issues. At some point some idiot is going to doing something remarkably stupid with one, and if laws aren't already in place the backlash may cause over regulation.

Off topic but:
Did you watch the Tobasco part of the program? When he said that they wouldn't take a BILLION dollars for the company I bet the 137 other stockholders were going "say what!!!!???".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4