Replacing Vision+ Gimbal w/ H3-3D, Need Help w/ Telemetry

Reaction score
I am working on how to install an H3-3D on my P2V+ through the stock Wi-Fi module. I have been doing research on it, but some of it is simply above my head and I need some help.

Getting a live feed is the easy part. My plan is to remove the stock anti-interference board and replace it with the one that comes with the H3-3D. I will take the 8 pin cable from the Zenmuse port to the stock AI board and connect it to the H3-3D's AI board. From there, I will run the an 8 pin cable to the H3-3D. That should route video through the CAM port the same as on a non-Vision Phantom, and I can simply splice video ground and video signal into the Wi-Fi module as if it were a wireless video transmission module (along with power from the CAM port). The problem is, I can't get telemetry this way. On a normal phantom, this would be handled with an iOSD mini that got telemetry from the CAN bus and overlaid it onto the video for sending, but the Vision+ has that built in (and doesn't simply overlay the image, but sends back the actual data) somehow on or through the gimbal board or Wi-Fi module. My question is, how does telemetry data get from the CAN bus, through the stock gimbal board, and to the Wi-Fi module? From what I understand, CAN protocol is physically different than UART, and what is coming to and from the Wi-Fi module is UART, so there must be a conversion from the CAN protocol on the CAN bus to the UART of the Wi-Fi module. How and where does that conversion take place?

Others on a different forum seem to have made this work without the stock gimbal board (gotten telemetry, set waypoints, etc) using a different gimbal/camera, but they never got around to explaining exactly how. I know it is possible, but it's a little out of my league.

If anyone could shed any light on this or give me a good starting point on understanding how information gets from the sensors on the Phantom to the app, I'd appreciate it greatly. I'm not looking for a how-to (though I won't turn it down either), but more of a how-all-this-works-and-here-is-what-that-means explanation from someone I can learn from and ask questions. I don't mind doing legwork and learning a lot, but I really have no idea where to begin since this involves so many things I don't quite understand.

Re: Replacing Vision+ Gimbal w/ H3-3D, Need Help w/ Telemetr

I've got the telemetry to work. It was as easy as plugging in the 6 pin cable from the Wi-Fi module into the CAM port. I knew there was a UART connection here like the one coming from the Wi-Fi module and suspected it was a connection to the flight controller, but it took a while to confirm. Now I need a way to talk with the GoPro to activate picture taking and video. Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers