Replacing Stock Phone Holder

Reaction score
So, everything was going great until I went to make final adjustments.

I was snugging up all the screws and I think the screw that holds the new mount to the lanyard connector stripped. o_O

Anyone else experience this and, if so, any suggestions for fixing it? I have no idea if this is a standard size screw available at most hardware stores.

Or am I, well, just screwed? ;)

IMG_0324.JPG

It looks like your mount is the same as mine. I would venture to guess its the same. If so, i believe the reason it stripped is because you dont have that center piece seated properly. Its shouldered, and should be completely recessed in the hole. If its not, chances are you pulled the threads well before it got tight enough to hold. The good news is its possible theres enough thread left deeper in the hole that if you can get things lined up proper it might work. Ill see if i can get a photo of mine.
y9ijKtb.jpg

y9ijKtb.jpg

Last edited:
@Cloudraker

Thanks again for the picture. No matter how many ways I (and my wife) tried, that center piece just won't seat properly. The screw isn't stripped, the improper seating was the problem.

Put it away for the night so I can sleep on it!

I'm wondering if it may not have been machined properly. The shouldered part should sit smoothly in the hole on the controller for the lanyard. If you take everything off, will that piece line up and fit? I actually ordered one for a friend of mine that I'll be putting on tomorrow. I'll take a few pics so you can compare if you'd like.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered the iKNOWTECH from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm wondering if it may not have been machined properly. The shouldered part should sit smoothly in the hole on the controller for the lanyard. If you take everything off, will that piece line up and fit? I actually ordered one for a friend of mine that I'll be putting on tomorrow. I'll take a few pics so you can compare if you'd like.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered the iKNOWTECH from amazon.

If I take the arm off the lanyard connector, the center piece falls right in and seats like your picture. When I put the arm on the lanyard connector, I couldn't get it to come close to seating properly.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and the center piece just sort of snapped in place. Not this one!

Mine is also the iKnowtech from Amazon. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how your friend's install goes. Thanks again.

b99b565f3a34814f81c23082ad286663.jpg

e2558023655f8637c4da4c7eb2543cf3.jpg

So I put this one together for a buddy of mine today as I said. Everything went smoothly. I install the mount to the controller before assembling the rest of it. Also, with the bad in place you should be able to roll the controller to its side and drop that small shouldered piece in place. Do that without the screw in it. Then you can easily manipulate everything until it falls into place. With the controller on its side nothing will fall out and once it's positioned properly just drop the screw in.

If that doesn't work I would guess there might be a machining issue.

@Cloudraker

Thanks for the follow-up. I'll probably give it another shot later tonight but the more I thought about it, I'm leaning toward it being a machining issue.

If it is, kinda disappointing as I waited about 4 weeks for delivery from China.

Wow, i can understand how that would be frustrating after waiting so long. Ive received both of mine within 2 days of ordering from amazon. Im too impatient to be willing to wait that long for anything.

Can you tell me who you ordered from on Amazon? I'll just buy another one.

If I take the arm off the lanyard connector, the center piece falls right in and seats like your picture. When I put the arm on the lanyard connector, I couldn't get it to come close to seating properly.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and the center piece just sort of snapped in place. Not this one!

Mine is also the iKnowtech from Amazon. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how your friend's install goes. Thanks again.
I used a Dremel with a mini grinder on it. Worked fine after that. I believe you are right about the machining.

I used a Dremel with a mini grinder on it. Worked fine after that. I believe you are right about the machining.

Given the price of the thing, I decided to just order another mount. It worked fine so it was definitely a machining issue with the first one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik