Replacing Motors

Reaction score
When should I replace the motors??? I just got an error message on the app while flying saying motor malfunction and when I land 2 of the 4 motors seem to quit quicker than the other 2 causing it to tip on its side. Also what tool set can I buy to help do maintenance on my drone??? I have a phantom 3 pro. Thanks!

When you land, are you holding only left stick back till motors stop? or doing a CSC? ( both sticks down and in? ) A CSC will cause a "tip over". Use first method only.

Reactions: Oso
I landed it twice and yes I neglected to use the down on the left stick and instead used csc which caused the aircraft to tip both times while landing. Shortly afterwards I got the error message about a motor malfunction. Should I be replacing the motors??? I immediately got the aircraft shutdown once it tipped.

I cant really tell you if you should replace your motors or not but i jammed my props a few times and i only replaced one when the winding got burnt..It was a little darker then the rest...I never got an ESC error only the motor obstructed error...This tool set works for me
Shop Kobalt 51-Piece Screwdriver Bit Set at Lowes.com

I little bit of a pain to get into the deep holes with the socket extension to take off the top shell but it does fit..

When the Phantom tipped,did the props hit? If so you would get a motor obstructed message. If you nicked your props you should replace them. Less then $10.00 for a new set.

When the Phantom tipped,did the props hit? If so you would get a motor obstructed message. If you nicked your props you should replace them. Less then $10.00 for a new set.

Yeah the two props hit the ground and prevented them from turning and thats when I immediately shut it down.

These motors are brushless motors. They have to get pretty hot to "burn out". Sounds like you shut them off pretty fast. If they all start up and sound OK, I figure you are good to go. Just my 2¢ worth. :)

Reactions: yorlik
Yeah that is what I did last night. I put on new props since my carbon fiber ones were getting a little rough looking and I didn't want to fly it because of the wind but I just started the motors just to see what they sounded like and all sounded good!

Since I'm switching back to the original plastic white props and not carbon fiber ones what kind of battery drag difference am I gonna see?? I've heard there is some battery drag with standard props. I've always flown with carbon fiber up until this point.

I agree with just the left stick to stop the motors. Can't believe they have a CSC even suggested as choice. Good way to break a prop or two.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1