Replacing a NAZA V2 with Phantom 2

K

Kubelwagen

Another thread I started a few days ago talked about a recently purchased used P2 that doesn't have the correct startup lights and won't communicate with the Assistant software. The P2 in general is new to me so after spending some really late nights researching the issue and thoroughly checking out its internals, I found something interesting.

Here's a pic of the flight controller from the Phantom 2 in question:
NAZA_V2.jpg

Here's a pic of the flight controller in another P2 I also acquired recently that works correctly:
NAZA_Phantom_2.jpg

From reading other threads it was apparent that the NAZA V2 flight controller shouldn't be in the P2. Several have stated that it causes problems. I'd say those are true statements.

Using the NAZA Assisant software allowed the controller to communicate. One of the first things that came up was a compass error. No readings at all. The next thing I noticed was that the gimbal support is 2-axis only. But the drone arrived with an H3-3D Zenmuse installed.

It seems that someone had good intentions but didn't really know what they were doing. My intention is to have this drone work as intended so I ordered a new main board with the "Phantom II" controller already installed. The board probably wasn't necessary but there was a nasty solder job on an ESC connection so for another $30 it's just good peace of mind. The controller and board is from a new dismantled P2 and cost $100.

I'll keep the NAZA V2 for another project. Or maybe it will show up on eBay one of these days.

The pictures are hosted at postimage.org. I'll but you're firewall is blocking them for some reason.

You are correct... lol...

I have remote access to my home computer (hey, I'm a computer tech, so sue me... :)) and I can see the images from there.

You're probably better off with buying the whole board. The extra money is worth the peace of mind. Let us know how it goes...

Just for future reference, where did you get the main board?

There are some guys on eBay selling the main boards and controllers supposedly removed from new drones. Some have brand new, uninstalled main boards for around $50-$60. One guy even has a new NAZA P2 flight controller in sealed DJI packaging for $50 Buy it Now with free shipping. His ad seemed sketchy though. There are several others for $70-$80 that look legit. I got the main board with flight controller from a "new" drone for $103 shipped. That particular seller has good feedback so hopefully it will be as advertised.

One of the P2's is done. Took it for a test flight last night and she flies beautifully. Pitch and roll attitude gains are a little hot but I'll drop those and she should be smooth.

P2_B_rs50.jpg

This is the P2 I got that had the Naza FC. It was replaced with a new board and Phantom II FC from a supposed new dismantled P2. The ESC's and motors were also mismatched so the ESC's were upgraded to V2.1 and the motors are 2312. Props are new DJI 9450. It also has the usual Zenmuse H3-3D, 3+ Black, Mini OSD and IRC 600mw transmitter. Upgraded the controller to the NDJ6 and couldn't be happier. Still waiting on some gear extensions (AirBlade skew antenna hangs below stock gear) and a VTX case to better mount the TX to the CF standoff plate.

Yes, I could have purchased a good used P3 for what I have into this one but then I wouldn't have learned anything, and that's a major reason why I do this.

Also discovered that the Hero 3+ Silver I recently picked up has that stupid new firmware update that prevents the live feed when the USB port is used. Sent an email to GoPro as instructed by GoPro to get procedure for downgrading firmware. Not holding my breath. It does work if you start recording then plug the connector in. It's a spare anyway.

I should add that the first replacement main board and FC I received had a split ESC control connector on the board. The company I got it from apologized and immediately sent me out another full board and controller. Didn't even ask for the old one back. That's service.

By the way, I do have a gimbal lock but don't have it on since it's just hanging out in my office.

One of the P2's is done. Took it for a test flight last night and she flies beautifully. Pitch and roll attitude gains are a little hot but I'll drop those and she should be smooth.

P2_B_rs50.jpg

This is the P2 I got that had the Naza FC. It was replaced with a new board and Phantom II FC from a supposed new dismantled P2. The ESC's and motors were also mismatched so the ESC's were upgraded to V2.1 and the motors are 2312. Props are new DJI 9450. It also has the usual Zenmuse H3-3D, 3+ Black, Mini OSD and IRC 600mw transmitter. Upgraded the controller to the NDJ6 and couldn't be happier. Still waiting on some gear extensions (AirBlade skew antenna hangs below stock gear) and a VTX case to better mount the TX to the CF standoff plate.

Yes, I could have purchased a good used P3 for what I have into this one but then I wouldn't have learned anything, and that's a major reason why I do this.

Also discovered that the Hero 3+ Silver I recently picked up has that stupid new firmware update that prevents the live feed when the USB port is used. Sent an email to GoPro as instructed by GoPro to get procedure for downgrading firmware. Not holding my breath. It does work if you start recording then plug the connector in. It's a spare anyway.

I should add that the first replacement main board and FC I received had a split ESC control connector on the board. The company I got it from apologized and immediately sent me out another full board and controller. Didn't even ask for the old one back. That's service.

By the way, I do have a gimbal lock but don't have it on since it's just hanging out in my office.

I would be interested in the info GP sends you regrading the rollback of the firmware and if works as there are a few out there that could use it.

I did a lot of research on it and it seems to start out with GoPro was just blowing everyone off regarding the issue but later started acting like they were interested in correcting the issue so we'll see what happens. I'll thread something if they respond with anything worthwhile.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik