Replacement U.FL Connector for 5.8Ghz Receiver Board?

Reaction score
I almost managed to remove the 5.8Ghz pigtails, but unfortunately one of the connectors broke off.

I would like to have a go at soldering a new one back on, so does anyone know if the following is the correct type please? http://uk.farnell.com/hirose-hrs/u-fl-r ... dp/1688077

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    418.3 KB · Views: 1,365
That is the correct connector buy by the looks of your board , you will have to get that center pin off to get the new connector on...

Should come off with a quick heat up... (theoretically)

You've got nothing to lose here so it's a good choice... don't use too much heat for too long and you should be able to git er done... i've fixed these type connections many times over the past few years :ugeek:

I personally wouldn't mess with it if you are adding high quality cables. The cables I have used snap/center on the center pin nicely. I would form the cable so it lays nicely against the board and put a drop of super glue away from the connector to temporarily hold it.

Just take a quality fine tipped soldering iron and just put a little bead of solder from side of new connector to the ground on board. Just takes 1/2 second of heat for it to flow and connect the shield/ground part of cable.

I speak from experience :roll:

rrmccabe said:
I personally wouldn't mess with it if you are adding high quality cables. The cables I have used snap/center on the center pin nicely. I would form the cable so it lays nicely against the board and put a drop of super glue away from the connector to temporarily hold it.

Just take a quality fine tipped soldering iron and just put a little bead of solder from side of new connector to the ground on board. Just takes 1/2 second of heat for it to flow and connect the shield/ground part of cable.

I speak from experience :roll:

That's actally not a bad idea... you already have the center pin available.. and just tack the outside with a touch of solder... not bad at all... **** that would've solved a problem i had 2 years ago the easy way :roll:

Only problem you may run into with that is if the center pin is too long and it won't let the cable connector sit down all the way on the pad...

Either way you're gonna get this sorted out... all your pads are still there so you ain't broken... just temporarily disconnected :ugeek:

Great idea, thank you!

Well, here are the results of my attempt - I just hope I haven't melted the plastic inside the cable's connector too much and that the solder joints are true! :)

Does anyone know if you can run the phantom with just one antenna connected as I may leave the other one disconnected and do a quick test on my desk to see if it works...?

I just now need to drill a larger hole in one of the legs to fit the other end of the cable through!

Attachments

• pic2.png
    pic2.png
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • pic3.png
    pic3.png
    595.4 KB · Views: 1,129
allemtura said:
Does anyone know if you can run the phantom with just one antenna connected as I may leave the other one disconnected and do a quick test on my desk to see if it works...?

Well I can confirm it does - I just decided to go for it and it seems the soldered antenna works! (phew)

hello everyone

Ive just done the same thing!(twat) I have managed to remove the old U.FL connector, but cant seem to see where the middle/signal part of the new connector would solder onto?

phantom 3 standard

This is an ancient thread.

Don't feel too bad if you broke the part off the board. Many people did - including me. Standard procedure as of a year ago is to buy a new transmitter board. That way you ensure a solid connection.

But you have a P3S, so we're making assumptions that you can find a new board for your P3S and install it. The new P2V boards have the ufl cable already glued in place and there's a trick to getting it off, so if you go that route, search for advice or ask before you break it again. There's a couple threads describing how to do it.

This is an ancient thread.

Don't feel too bad if you broke the part off the board. Many people did - including me. Standard procedure as of a year ago is to buy a new transmitter board. That way you ensure a solid connection.

But you have a P3S, so we're making assumptions that you can find a new board for your P3S and install it. The new P2V boards have the ufl cable already glued in place and there's a trick to getting it off, so if you go that route, search for advice or ask before you break it again. There's a couple threads describing how to do it.
So do you mean I can buy just this piece?

Attachments

• 20161102_113158.jpg
    20161102_113158.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 535
As I said, your AC is a P3S and this is a P2V+ forum. I don't have a P3S. But looking at that piece, it looks a lot like a transmitter from the controller rather than a receiver from the AC. If it's a receiver from the AC, you may be able to buy it. I don't know.

No problem, this is good forum for general P3S research because there are a lot of similarities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.