Replacement Shell from DJI.

Reaction score
i. Long time lurker, and many time poster :)
P3A purchased in May 2015.
Cracks appeared after 3hrs of flight. Cracks were all on motor mounts and not on the shell arms. I got UAV strong arms to prevent further cracking and it allowed me to continue to fly (thanks @fastsmiles for the temp fix).
I didn't want to send back to china as it's peak phantom-photo season in Australia.
I lodged a warranty claim directly with DJI and asked if they can send the revised lower shell to me. I advised them that I've owned 3 other phantoms and had a background in electronics and capable of doing the shell swap. After some table-tennis emails, the lower shell was sent.
2 weeks later from the initial warranty claim, I now have the lower shell in my possession.
The shell I received is not the latest version. It is however still the revised version (same version as the P3 STANDARD) that should NOT crack.

The box (very nice)
Lower%20Shell%20Box.jpg

The lower shell comes with screws, a grey cable and existing LEDs.
P3%20Lower%20Shell.jpg

The shell looks revised with the leg mount comparison and notched tabs
Leg%20Mount%20Comparison.jpg

The vents are still the same size - the latest has larger vents.
Vents%20Comparison.jpg

The notched tabs and no X brace. The latest has notched tabs and X bracing.
Motor%20Mounts%20New%20Tabs%20no%20X%20brace.jpg

I guess my warranty will be voided when I do the swap.
But then again, the shell was free and I rather do it myself then having it sent back for 2-12 week-wait.
I will keep updating this to see if this is a crack free shell. From what I've learnt, if this is P3 Standard equivalent shell, then I need not to worry as no one has reported cracks in the P3S department.

And PS. Thank you Cindy Mao from DJI for arranging this.

Nice.. except many have talked about 10-14 day turn around's lately. It would be worth the weight for me, if I ever had cracks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20