Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Replacement Shell from DJI.

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Mako79, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Mako79

i. Long time lurker, and many time poster :)
    P3A purchased in May 2015.
    Cracks appeared after 3hrs of flight. Cracks were all on motor mounts and not on the shell arms. I got UAV strong arms to prevent further cracking and it allowed me to continue to fly (thanks @fastsmiles for the temp fix).
    I didn't want to send back to china as it's peak phantom-photo season in Australia.
    I lodged a warranty claim directly with DJI and asked if they can send the revised lower shell to me. I advised them that I've owned 3 other phantoms and had a background in electronics and capable of doing the shell swap. After some table-tennis emails, the lower shell was sent.
    2 weeks later from the initial warranty claim, I now have the lower shell in my possession.
    The shell I received is not the latest version. It is however still the revised version (same version as the P3 STANDARD) that should NOT crack.

The box (very nice)
    [​IMG]
    The lower shell comes with screws, a grey cable and existing LEDs.
    [​IMG]

The shell looks revised with the leg mount comparison and notched tabs
    [​IMG]

The vents are still the same size - the latest has larger vents.
    [​IMG]

The notched tabs and no X brace. The latest has notched tabs and X bracing.
    [​IMG]

I guess my warranty will be voided when I do the swap.
    But then again, the shell was free and I rather do it myself then having it sent back for 2-12 week-wait.
    I will keep updating this to see if this is a crack free shell. From what I've learnt, if this is P3 Standard equivalent shell, then I need not to worry as no one has reported cracks in the P3S department.

And PS. Thank you Cindy Mao from DJI for arranging this.

2. III% Streve

Nice.. except many have talked about 10-14 day turn around's lately. It would be worth the weight for me, if I ever had cracks.