REPLACEMENT FOR PHANTOM 2 PLUS GIMBAL AND CAMERA

Reaction score
The back story is at the end of a non-eventful flight the low battery warning went off, so I started a descent from about 300' at about 70' the copter started wobbling uncontrollably, and would not respond to any input. continued in a gyrating descent / fall and crashed.... HARD. (I put this in so people can see this is happening and not {as far as I can tell} a part of user error).

Now the gimbal is in pieces and the camera seems pretty banged up as well.

With the freaking Gimbal / camera unit is $680 - $750, at that price I'm thinking I might as well go with a gopro and gimbal combination.

My question is can the phantom 2 vision plus be fitted with a GoPro setup? (I've seen a bad hack on YouTube but want to replace the camera as well).

If so what would be needed?

Many thanks to useful replies.

It is not practical to replace your camera/gimbal with a Zenmuse/GoPro setup. Though you could, you will have no FVP or telemetry without making major additional modifications to the aircraft. While $679 might sound like a lot for a replacement, its cheaper than what you are asking about doing.

did you have most current firmware that limits descent speed to 2 meters per second? If so, seems like it would be challenging for what occurred..to have occurred

jeknyc said:
The back story is at the end of a non-eventful flight the low battery warning went off, so I started a descent from about 300' at about 70' the copter started wobbling uncontrollably, and would not respond to any input. continued in a gyrating descent / fall and crashed.... HARD. (I put this in so people can see this is happening and not {as far as I can tell} a part of user error).

With the freaking Gimbal / camera unit is $680 - $750, at that price I'm thinking I might as well go with a gopro and gimbal combination.

My question is can the phantom 2 vision plus be fitted with a GoPro setup? (I've seen a bad hack on YouTube but want to replace the camera as well).

Are you using prop guards? if so take them off.

I have the most current firmware, and I don't believe the problem is due to prop guards, as I have seen the same problem mentioned with and without guards..

I know a GoPro "setup w FPV" is expensive, however the components can be replaced individually, So if it's just the gimbal it won't have to replace the whole unit.

Thanks again!

As I said, you will need a zenmuse and a GoPro. You also need a new 2.4 ghz controller and 2.4 gigahertz receiver. Then you will need to add in FPV transmitter, and in iOSD for telemetry. Even after you do all of that, you still won't have the same capabilities as you have with your vision+.

jeknyc said:
I have the most current firmware, and I don't believe the problem is due to prop guards, as I have seen the same problem mentioned with and without guards..

I know a GoPro "setup w FPV" is expensive, however the components can be replaced individually, So if it's just the gimbal it won't have to replace the whole unit.

Thanks again!

So you were using prop guards, right?

Dirty Bird said:
As I said, you will need a zenmuse and a GoPro. You also need a new 2.4 ghz controller and 2.4 gigahertz receiver. Then you will need to add in FPV transmitter, and in iOSD for telemetry. Even after you do all of that, you still won't have the same capabilities as you have with your vision+.

Thanks Dirty Bird, as far as I understand, with a FPV setup using GoPro (as if I were starting from scratch with a plain Phantom 2) I could then use FPV goggles, and share the video feed which I can't do with a vision 2 plus. what features wouldn't I have if I went that route?

Main main question is could I now treat the P 2 plus platform as a bare bones P 2, and fit it with the gimbal & GoPro camera? Or are there other differences between the P 2 and the P 2 vision plus other then the gimble and camera?

Many thanks for your opinion.

I'm figuring a FPV GoPro set up around $1000. which means I get added functionality for another $250. I know you think I'm missing something, what is it?

jeknyc said:

Thanks again!

Not sure I've heard about the issue with current firmware/2m per second descent rate AND no prop guards in place

Well I learned something today, it's called the VORTEX RING STATE, and propguards have no effect....

With that said, anyone have a good replacement idea for the stock camera and gimbal.

phantomguy said:
actually prop guards enhance VRS.

Really?, No disrespect but please show proof that it does.

Otherwise you're pushing hearsay that has no evidence which is just BS. I've looked, and seen nothing that attributes prop guards to VRS.

jeknyc said:

This does not answer your questions nor help you with the direction you want to go. But an alternative is..

call this phone number +1 (818) 235 0789 start at 9:00am pacific. If you get a womans voice but you are still disconnected, call right back and try again. If you get in a queue and they give you a caller number (you are caller 25) do not hang up. you will get to support staff and you will get an RMA number. then you can send it in for repair. Since it is not a warranty repair you will pay $65.00 per hour plus parts. They work quick so your bill will be mostly parts probably. It might take a couple days to get though but worth it I think. Pick up a used Phantom 1 so you can fly for the month your vision + is gone for repair. Thats what they say, 1 month turn around.

Good luck.

Wedeliver said:
call this phone number +1 (818) 235 0789 start at 9:00am pacific. If you get a womans voice but you are still disconnected, call right back and try again. If you get in a queue and they give you a caller number (you are caller 25) do not hang up. you will get to support staff and you will get an RMA number. then you can send it in for repair. Since it is not a warranty repair you will pay $65.00 per hour plus parts. They work quick so your bill will be mostly parts probably. It might take a couple days to get though but worth it I think. Pick up a used Phantom 1 so you can fly for the month your vision + is gone for repair. Thats what they say, 1 month turn around.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Hey Wedeliver, Thanks but no thanks. I've tried DJI "Support" and find they are worse then useless, a giant wast of time. They might as well say no warranty and not give customers false hope.

As for the camera / gimbal, it looks as if I have to pay for a replacement, and can fit it on myself.

Unless anyone here can give me an alternative.

Prop guards whilst not being the cause of vortex ring state do exaggerate the problems associated. I think waiting for the dronexpert fix would be pretty cool when they eventually release it but knowing them it wont be cheap. If its affordable I might convert my old pv2 to gimbal and a sony camera whilst still having all the luxuries of using the app.

jeknyc said:
Really?, No disrespect but please show proof that it does.

Otherwise you're pushing hearsay that has no evidence which is just BS. I've looked, and seen nothing that attributes prop guards to VRS.

If you like flying with prop guards, that is a personal choice and more power to you. But if you go back through this forum, you will find that virtually every VRS crash involves a Phantom with prop guards. Honestly, I can't recall a single VRS crash that involved a Phantom WITHOUT prop guards! I don't know what it is about the guards that seem to make the Phantom more prone to VRS? I suspect the guards somehow subtly change the airstream as it passes beneath the props. We'd need wind tunnel testing to "prove" this to be the case. But believe me, the LAST thing I would ever do is recommend someone to install prop guards given the number of VRS crash reports I've seen...ALL involving prop guards. I wouldn't even recommend a newbie to use prop guards!

If you take off or land carelessly, you risk tipping over and damaging a prop or two. If you VRS crash because you have the guards installed, you risk the same props, the camera/gimbal, and the guards too! Better to replace a prop now and then than a gimbal! JMHO...

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Prop guards whilst not being the cause of vortex ring state do exaggerate the problems associated. I think waiting for the dronexpert fix would be pretty cool when they eventually release it but knowing them it wont be cheap. If its affordable I might convert my old pv2 to gimbal and a sony camera whilst still having all the luxuries of using the app.[

Droneexpert?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31