Replacement for ImmersionRC 600mw

Reaction score
After suffering a crash due to a stupid pilot error (pro tip: don't fly at night near telephone lines), my ImmersionRC 600mw was damaged (a large resistor? on top snapped) amongst other things.

So I'm looking for a replacement. I've got the Black Pearl monitor, and had a bit of interference in the past. However I expect this was more to antenna usage than Tx strength.

That said, whilst shopping around I noticed that the 600mw versions aren't cheap (unless you consider hobby king) and also that there was an ImmersionRC 700mw transmitter available, surprisingly for a lower price.

A forum search reveals no info? Is it a suitable replacement? Would it increase range? Any compatibility issues?

Thanks

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersionr ... 1529-p.asp

that item you linked is a 2.4Ghz transmitter. Assuming you're running a non-Vision series Phantom 2, your RC control runs on 2.4Ghz so you don't want to interfere with that! you need a 5.8Ghz FPV transmitter.

Few more things: Is your BP receiver the 32ch version, or 7ch version? There is a widely known compatibility issue between the 32ch BP and the IRC600 (5.8ghz) transmitter.. you just get bad performance for no good reason.

the aforementioned compatibility issue aside, FPV performance is more about antennas than transmitter strength. premium antennas on a low power transmitter will outperform a high power transmitter with crap antennas.

If you 1) have a 32ch BP and don't want to switch, and 2) would be buying new antennas anyway then you should consider converting to a Boscam transmitter. The TS353 with premium antennas like the FPVLRs will easily exceed the range of your Phantom itself (several kilometers). You could get a TS353 and new PnP cable for just over half the price of replacing your IRC600.
After that it's just how much you want to spend on antennas. pretty much the best kit around is the premium combo from FPVLR, clocking in at $120USD

I'm so glad I checked! Thanks for your help.

The BP monitor I have is this one: Flysight Black Pearl 7" FPV LCD HD Monitor with 5.8Ghz Diversity Receiver RC801

Which looks like it's 32ch, and would explain some of the problems I've been havingwith regards to poor signal. I dont want to change the monitor, and I am sick of the poor signal so it sounds like a change to boscam is in order. Shame as I didn't want to change antenna also.

I ultimately want to get some FPV glasses (maybe fat sharks) are there any comparability issues with the boscam tx I should know about?

Thanks a mil for your help, I would've made a huge mistake otherwise!

ok next, it's important to understand that there are 2 different frequency sets in the 5.8ghz range commonly used for FPV like this:
one family is the Fatshark / ImmersionRC set, the other is Boscam/Foxtech/Flysight.
Each one of those families is only 7 or 8 frequencies , and that's why so many receivers are 32ch to support both sets as well as some other 5.8ghz frequency sets.
So in terms of your existing BP Display, switching to Boscam transmitter (don't forget the PnP cable also) won't be an issue and you'll almost certainly get better performance, even with similar antennas. I say "similar" because unfortunately Boscam vs ImmersionRC uses a different antenna connector, so the exact same antenna that worked on your IRC600 will NOT work on a Boscam. Were you even running aftermarket antennas, or were you using the little black sticks that came with the device? Those little black sticks will work, but they're pretty shitty... check the FPV antenna connector reference stickythread for more info.

ok now, back to frequency sets: I don't know as much about goggles as I do displays, but when choosing goggles you'll either want to:
1) get goggles with a built in receiver that is compatible with the Boscam frequency set (is there a 32ch set of goggles? I don't know) or
2) get goggles with no receiver and get a separate receiver like the RC805. you would then use the video-out from the RC805 to the video-in on the goggles. the downside of this is you'll also have to get/use a separate battery for the receiver I think. option 1 is better imo if you can find a set of compatible goggles

OR I suppose you could just sell off your 32ch BP, get the 7ch BP, replace your IRC600 with another IRC600 and now you're compatible with all the fatshark goggles with native receivers. this may be the most expensive option, but might be the easiest in terms of compatibility with goggles.

up to you to decide which way you want to go, if you have questions we're happy to help

I've personally been using the BP 32Ch monitor and an ImmersionRC 600mw over 7-8 months now with ZERO interference. A lot of things can play into part when it comes to interference Guys, can' just blame a transmitter. Now all I did do was upgrade the antennas to the IBCrazy 5.8ghz and threw in a helical antenna as well and I get good reception...

Hjones62 said:
I've personally been using the BP 32Ch monitor and an ImmersionRC 600mw over 7-8 months now with ZERO interference. A lot of things can play into part when it comes to interference Guys, can' just blame a transmitter. Now all I did do was upgrade the antennas to the IBCrazy 5.8ghz and threw in a helical antenna as well and I get good reception...

there are indeed people for whom it works fine, but you cannot say that because YOU aren't having an issue that there isn't one. it is a widely, commonly known issue around this site and elsewhere. I mean no disrespect or anything, but the IRC600 / 32ch BP compatibility issue is a real thing affecting many many many people. just search around here for it, you'll get hundreds if not thousands of hits.
fwiw, antennas don't seem to be a factor in it... people have tried the stock rubber ducks, mediocre antennas, and premium with no difference.

I suppose it's within the realm of possibility that he simply had all stock/crap antennas all around and that was his issue, but if we apply the 80/20 rule it's a lot more than 80% chance it's the compatibility issue.. These days I assume everyone has aftermarket antennas of some sort
but okay, MajorJump if you were running JUST the stock little black sticks that came with your transmitter and receiver, that could have been a factor in your FPV performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4