replacement by dji after flyaway

I know I replied to your comment but I was not stating you were wrong, I was stating that the info is insufficient to hand out free drones, in my opinion. But in DJI's opinion I am assuming they have more info then what we have in this thread (they have the entire history of accidents from all submissions & techs on hand with further inside info).

Also... please don't say someone is innocent because it makes it sound like the poor OP was considered guilty. Guilty of what? Buying and flying a drone?

In 2 years of flying Phantoms this is only the first case I have heard of where DJI replaced a drone without having the actual drone to examine. All other cases I have heard of involved the drone being recovered in a broken state & sent to DJI for their review. Those cases did not end as positively as this one.

Bottom line is that I'm pleased to see the OP was successful in his submission to DJI. It gives the rest of us hope should we encounter a similar situation.
i did not think i stood i chance of getting dji to replace my craft, i figured it can`t hurt to try and to my surprise they are actually doing me right.

Reactions: Squirrel!
i`m grateful for dji covering my loss under warranty, but it was a difficult process, with very poor communication between customer and customer support. can`t wait to get flying again!

i`m grateful for dji covering my loss under warranty, but it was a difficult process, with very poor communication between customer and customer support. can`t wait to get flying again!
That's how my two DJI warranty replacements were, too! I bought a backup bird each time, so the delay and hassle didn't keep me from flying. In the end, they came through, partly due to my persistence, and mostly due to the thorough documentation I was able to supply, establishing no pilot error.

Last edited:
Unfortunately whenever someone reports a flyaway it is another way of saying... I flew my Phantom and it never came back. DJI has probably one of the best failsafe technologies in the Phantom 3 & 4 drones. If the Phantom can not communicate with the controller it will return to home. It will not suddenly develop an intelligent AI and become self aware and fly off to a secret drone hideout. If a drone doesn't come back it's either because the RTH was not recorded, the battery ran out or it crashed into something. All of which DJI will say is user error.

I had my drone when missing while I am waiting RTH in P mode. It remains 195m to finish RTH. Does it consider RTH malfunction?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And yes. Dji acknowledged the malfunction claim. I got a replacement

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm due a replacement also due to flyaway. I'll copy and paste dji reply. It's been a month though since last communication which is frustrating.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your patience.
For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Phantom 3 standard without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

I'm also due a replacement Phantom4 because of a flyaway. Been waiting since June 28. Last communication with DJI was three days ago stating: "As per checking the order system, we are just waiting for the courier to get the package from our warehouse"

How long does it take the 'courier' to pick up from the warehouse?

Reactions: petesham2005
Did they send you a "100% off coupon code"?

I still haven't been sent that.

I received it in email within a few days and applied it to the replacement order in the DJI store. I'm guessing that since I'm not technically paying for the replacement, my order is not high priority.

Reactions: petesham2005
I received it in email within a few days and applied it to the replacement order in the DJI store. I'm guessing that since I'm not technically paying for the replacement, my order is not high priority.

By the time they sort me I'll not have the weather to fly it in Northern Ireland. I've bought a GPS Tracker to attach to the new one when it comes!

This is the most recent email received from support in response to my inquiry about a shipping date.

"We can completely understand what you mean. We're sorry you've had such a bad experience. We always appreciate customers who take the time to give us their feedback. We'll pass what you've said on to our management team. We don't like to see our customers upset and inconvenienced. We'd always strive to create a positive customer experience."

I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon.

This is the most recent email received from support in response to my inquiry about a shipping date.

"We can completely understand what you mean. We're sorry you've had such a bad experience. We always appreciate customers who take the time to give us their feedback. We'll pass what you've said on to our management team. We don't like to see our customers upset and inconvenienced. We'd always strive to create a positive customer experience."

I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon.
The Courier has to first fly in from China. :rolleyes: Can't have locals handling the merchandise! It will get there when it gets there. They are on Chinese time. Delivery tomorrow, based upon preorders for the Mavic, means in a few months to them. Must be a translation issue. o_O

No matter the reason for the inability to recover the aircraft, without a body, there is no murder. ;) Best you'll likely be able to get from DJI, without an aircraft to send in, is a 30% "good will" credit towards buying a replacement new aircraft from them, at their current price.
not according to consumer laws !

Your produce and sell a un manned vehicle that moves by land, sea or air and it vanishes of a disrupted flight record or tracking system then you need to have an explanation to clear your company of been responsible as well as convince the public safety concerns.

If DJI can not explain why RTH, sync with remotes, glitches with firmware caused the aircraft to crash or vanish and instead pretend they dont need to discuss the remote it is communicating with then im sorry but thats covered and should not cost them a dime., this is if the aircraft is UN RECOVERABLE (over water sea etc)

Is not new a manufacture has a few bad eggs., its actually normal., so like all companies DJI has to be covered for this buy law...the flight records protect them from anyone trying to pull their leg and they should share the remote data as well when incidents like this happen because in my experience i did not get one single reply about the remote's relation to a fly away..(talking about a DJI SPARK) very very very rare a P4Pro would behave like this at all. very very rare.

Last edited:
not according to consumer laws !

Your produce and sell a un manned vehicle that moves by land, sea or air and it vanishes of a disrupted flight record or tracking system then you need to have an explanation to clear your company of been responsible as well as convince the public safety concerns.

If DJI can not explain why RTH, sync with remotes, glitches with firmware caused the aircraft to crash or vanish and instead pretend they dont need to discuss the remote it is communicating with then im sorry but thats covered and should not cost them a dime., this is if the aircraft is UN RECOVERABLE (over water sea etc)

Is not new a manufacture has a few bad eggs., its actually normal., so like all companies DJI has to be covered for this buy law...the flight records protect them from anyone trying to pull their leg and they should share the remote data as well when incidents like this happen because in my experience i did not get one single reply about the remote's relation to a fly away..(talking about a DJI SPARK) very very very rare a P4Pro would behave like this at all. very very rare.
Good luck with that! DJI refuses to even look at or share .DAT files any more! The newest aircraft no longer even have an internal microSD card to record .DAT files!

Good luck with that! DJI refuses to even look at or share .DAT files any more! The newest aircraft no longer even have an internal microSD card to record .DAT files!
there are certain obligations they have to meet, if they are sneaky and practice un fair tactics to resort to fines (been they are a big company like Apple) it would then depend on the country.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues