Replaced DJI P3P Shell myself.

Reaction score
So I decided to check my arms to see if there were any cracks around the motors because I have seen posts the describe this after a few months of flying. I did not think I wild have any because I had removable prop guards and the attached part of the guards would add extra support. We I was wrong, I saw big grace and new cracks starting on another motor. I decided to order a shell online and replace it myself. I have not seen any post on this but I know I did not want to send it to DJI . I just don’t want to deal with them if I don’t have to. Now I feel pretty confident that I will never need to after I completed the task. I also saw a post where someone lined the inside if the motor well with epoxy. I did the same. Not it is very solid and I feel much better about it not just falling out of the sky. Seems like DJI used a different plastic that is not as strong but it also seems that the motor heat up this plastic and cause it to become weak. The new design also points the props outward to reduce prop wash. I think this and the breaking system is a lot of extra tension on the plastic. If you do this, you might want to take photos of every move or do a video so you will remember where it all goes back. I was surprised how easy it was and It back up in the air now and flying great. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 573
So I decided to check my arms to see if there were any cracks around the motors because I have seen posts the describe this after a few months of flying. I did not think I wild have any because I had removable prop guards and the attached part of the guards would add extra support. We I was wrong, I saw big grace and new cracks starting on another motor. I decided to order a shell online and replace it myself. I have not seen any post on this but I know I did not want to send it to DJI . I just don’t want to deal with them if I don’t have to. Now I feel pretty confident that I will never need to after I completed the task. I also saw a post where someone lined the inside if the motor well with epoxy. I did the same. Not it is very solid and I feel much better about it not just falling out of the sky. Seems like DJI used a different plastic that is not as strong but it also seems that the motor heat up this plastic and cause it to become weak. The new design also points the props outward to reduce prop wash. I think this and the breaking system is a lot of extra tension on the plastic. If you do this, you might want to take photos of every move or do a video so you will remember where it all goes back. I was surprised how easy it was and It back up in the air now and flying great. Here are a few pics.
Well done!

Here's a video that shows the replacement process:

A few short questions if I may?

1: What would you say you're technical electronic skill level is?
2: Could you give us the Replacement Shell's info: Spare part NO.30? P36557A10308? to compare as you say the replacement looks more solid.
3: How much time did you take for the project?
4: What tools did you find a must have?

Thank you in advance, this would help others I am sure.

That looks great @westlight!

I wonder if the propguards might have contributed to the cracking?

Anyhow, your reinforcement efforts should be effective.

I ordered the shel from Flying Hobby. It came fast for a little extra money. Id say I am about a 5 out of 10 with electronic builds. I could not find a video for the replacement but I did see enough videos on taking off the top. If I did not sett them, it would have been terrible. I don’t like that new lock design at all. I don’t think the prop guards did any damage, as a matter of fact, I think they helped the copter from failing at that point and falling from the sky. The Epoxy should be a big plus and I would recommend anyone with a new one to order some arm protection online or doing the epoxy thing, maybe both.
You will want to get the correct tools
T8 and a smaller one ( it think it was a t6 or smaller for the outer screws.
You will also need a hex set.
It took me about 2 hours and I took some images of the parts to remember where things went.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj