Replaced broken ribbon cable & now the gimbal doesn't work at all! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Reaction score
I crashed my drone and broke the yaw arm which also broke the ribbon cable. I just replaced both parts and the process went smoothly. But when I power on the drone, the gimbal is lifeless. The camera is working and transmitting but the gimbal will not move. It says that there is a gimbal malfunction. Any ideas how to correct this problem

I crashed my drone and broke the yaw arm which also broke the ribbon cable. I just replaced both parts and the process went smoothly. But when I power on the drone, the gimbal is lifeless. The camera is working and transmitting but the gimbal will not move. It says that there is a gimbal malfunction. Any ideas how to correct this problem
When power on does it feel like there is resistance on it or does is move side to side freely,ribbon can really only go one way so what you done might be ok,you could have damage gimble motor

When power on does it feel like there is resistance on it or does is move side to side freely,ribbon can really only go one way so what you done might be ok,you could have damage gimble motor

The gimbal moves freely by hand. And when I power on. The camera seems to work fine the gimbal won't do anything. I didn't order and dji ribbon cable and from what I have read, that's seems to be a no no. Could that be the problem? Do you know which connection on the ribbon cable controls the gimbal so I could check that one to make sure I plugged it in all the way?

The gimbal moves freely by hand. And when I power on. The camera seems to work fine the gimbal won't do anything. I didn't order and dji ribbon cable and from what I have read, that's seems to be a no no. Could that be the problem? Do you know which connection on the ribbon cable controls the gimbal so I could check that one to make sure I plugged it in all the way?
Just been on google looking seems to be hard to find desent picture 14983270011031065299581.jpg 1498327131961-1240653798.jpgsomeone here must have done this in past ,mayby they can post a pic or have better diagram,i thought being the shape of ribbon it can only go one way ,been couple posts about 3rd party ribbons in the past luck of the draw if they work , im still looking at pics if i find proper diagram of which plugs for which board i post it

Just been on google looking seems to be hard to find desent picture View attachment 84413 View attachment 84414someone here must have done this in past ,mayby they can post a pic or have better diagram,i thought being the shape of ribbon it can only go one way ,been couple posts about 3rd party ribbons in the past luck of the draw if they work , im still looking at pics if i find proper diagram of which plugs for which board i post it
what kind of phantom is it? the picture above shows a main gimbal board from a P2V+
but you posted in P3P forum.
if your camera doesn't move at all there are couple possible issues. either a bad cable or main board is toast.

what kind of phantom is it? the picture above shows a main gimbal board from a P2V+
but you posted in P3P forum.
if your camera doesn't move at all there are couple possible issues. either a bad cable or main board is toast.
Ok did not know ,,pictures came from p3s which came up on google search,,i presume it was p3 because it was posted in p3 help, thanks for corection, :)

Ok did not know ,,pictures came from p3s which came up on google search,,i presume it was p3 because it was posted in p3 help, thanks for corection, :)
Don't know if you've fixed this yet, but I've got some info. I had broken ribbon from a crash a week ago. Ordered a cheap cable from eBay. Went to install it and I "tore" it at the last second. Gimbal initialized but I had no video feed. So I ordered another cheap cable, this time from Amazon overnight with prime and tried installing that last night. Install went off without a hitch. Felt very positive about it. Power up the drone and nothing. Gimbal won't initialize or anything. Did some checking and found that the cable I overnighted was defective. Here's what I found. The thickness if the contacts that go into the boards for the gimbal were too thin. .21mm vs .31mm on the one I tore. That would cause an issue with poor continuity. So I ordered yet another overnight. This time a DJI cable. Lesson learned I suppose.
21945ec7f661fdcacafadb67e93f37e5.jpg
385417afd73e1b5bf11e419fe0e9d698.jpg
859cf2f1333bd07ad3cfbea41f357eeb.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I found. The thickness if the contacts that go into the boards for the gimbal were too thin. .21mm vs .31mm on the one I tore. That would cause an issue with poor continuity. So I ordered yet another overnight. This time a DJI cable. Lesson learned I suppose.
Your post piqued my interest.

We have seen numerous posts from people who have said that a knock off cable did not work, but when they got an OEM DJI cable everything was fine. There have been so many posts like that in fact that it has now become more or less a given that we recommend only OEM ribbons. That being said, I have always found it odd that most knock off cables don't work and I have wondered why that could be. Your post may shed some light.

Knock off ribbon 1: .31mm
Knock off ribbon 2: .21mm
DJI ribbon: ??

What did you measure for the DJI ribbon?

Your post piqued my interest.

We have seen numerous posts from people who have said that a knock off cable did not work, but when they got an OEM DJI cable everything was fine. There have been so many posts like that in fact that it has now become more or less a given that we recommend only OEM ribbons. That being said, I have always found it odd that most knock off cables don't work and I have wondered why that could be. Your post may shed some light.

Knock off ribbon 1: .31mm
Knock off ribbon 2: .21mm
DJI ribbon: ??

What did you measure for the DJI ribbon?
DJI ribbon is expected delivery tomorrow.

Reactions: Oso
Received the DJI cable today. It measures out at .31mm across all the gimbal connections and .21mm across the main connection to the AC. The cable also flexes a lot better and "feels" better than the 3rd party ones.

Received the DJI cable today. It measures out at .31mm across all the gimbal connections and .21mm across the main connection to the AC. The cable also flexes a lot better and "feels" better than the 3rd party ones.
Thanks for that sir.

So you provided two measurements for the DJI cable but only one for each of the knock off cables. Were the previously measurements for the knock off cables for "across all the gimbal connections" or for "across the main connection to the AC?" My guess is that they were for "across all the gimbal connections." If that is true, did they have a different measurement for "across the main connection to the AC" or were they the same as measured on both sides?

Again, just asking so we have that data which may help explain why so many knock off cables have failed.

BTW - my fingers are crossed that the DJI cable cures your issues. :)

Thanks for that sir.

So you provided two measurements for the DJI cable but only one for each of the knock off cables. Were the previously measurements for the knock off cables for "across all the gimbal connections" or for "across the main connection to the AC?" My guess is that they were for "across all the gimbal connections." If that is true, did they have a different measurement for "across the main connection to the AC" or were they the same as measured on both sides?

Again, just asking so we have that data which may help explain why so many knock off cables have failed.

BTW - my fingers are crossed that the DJI cable cures your issues. :)
I never thought to measure the main connection terminals. Just did on this one. My fingers are crossed too. Installing now.

Cable installed. Everything boots up. Calibrated gimbal. Will calibrate IMU before initial test flight. Which might be in a bit here. All in all, it looks like 3rd party cables are definitely sub par, BUT if you get one check the dimensions listed.
5cd806a4ee6feee8174fa4f57a3a3788.jpg

Reactions: Oso

Hi Jade,
Did you ever get your gimble problem sorted?
I had a similar problem after a crash - my camera broke the ribbon and on replacement the gimble didn't move - according to the DJI guys in South Africa - close to me - 1000 miles away - cannot be repaired - replace the camera and the gimble - or - buy a new aircraft - $ 100.00 difference between a new gimble assembly and a new craft.

Have had the same problems with copy ribbons, only issue is where to purchase genuine dji ones. Ive tried for two week to get a phantom 3 standard one and dji Melbourne refuse to sell genuine parts. Where are you guys buying genuine dji cables from?

Hi! If your live transmission works well & the gimbal is the only problem, that mean the main logic board of your gimbal is dead of malfunctioning. So you must replace it with an new logic board to power up your drone gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl