Replace Stock Vision+ Camera with Mirrorless

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I love my Vision+ because of its small size and easy portability, but I hate the camera. Question #1: Is it possible to replace the stock vision+ camera with a mirrorless and still use the built in FPV (adapter or solder wires together??)? Question #2: Will it fly? The total weight is going to be around 800 grams (550g for camera+lens + 245g for gimbal) Will i just experience shorter flight times or will this actually stress the Phantom out so much that it won't fly?

Thanks for any help!

What lens would you want to put on your mirrorless body? I think the stock camera is quite nice. It's got its issues, but they're nothing that can't be dealt with. It would be wonderful to have a super-telephoto lens at over 20 megapixels... but super-telephoto lenses are big and heavy. Might as well just get a 6 or 8-prop helicopter to support such a bulky camera.

If you're not trying to use a super-telephoto, why not just pick up a high-end compact camera with a fixed lens? There's plenty out there that are only a little heavier than the P2V+'s camera. I imagine you could make a setup of that kind work.

I understand I can get smaller cameras, but I want the best image quality available. My question is, will it fly with an 800g payload? If not what is the most it could handle with around 10 minutes of flight time? Also I know I can build a larger copter, but I want to keep it small. Cost is not the issue, its size.

Really though the most important question is can I use the existing Vision+ software and FPV and just use a different camera? Or do I need to buy a separate FPV and camera trigger? Thanks!

You'd need a different gimbal. It's not designed for weights different than the stock camera. But with a more robust gimbal you could mount a heavier camera without any problems. But you'd be erasing the reason to have a P2V+, as the bulk of the cost is the gimbal and camera.

This question gets asked alot.
At present, there is No Way to use another camera with the P2V+ and keep FPV video via the APP. You will not only lose the video feed, you will also lose telemetry.
The camera and WiFi module inside the P2V+ are integrated and the whole WiFi system shuts down when the camera is removed.
The camera is said to be exactly the same as the FC200 camera on the Vision which has the integrated WiFi inside the camera.
I believe on the P2V+, the WiFi module is just that part of the camera moved up into the shell to save weight on the gimbal. The actual IP address belongs to the camera and the telemetry data is relayed from the flight controller through a serial connection to the camera as in the original Vision.

You can replace the gimbal and camera but you'll end up with something that's functionally identical to a standard Phantom 2. No FPV and no control of the camera in the air.
Since the P2V+ uses a 5.8GHz controller, you won't be able to install a standard 5.8GHz FPV transmitter so you'll need to find a 2.4Ghz or 900MHz FPV video transmitter.

As for the weight, that's hard to say. I've heard tell of a Phantom lifting a 32oz Beverage can, which is ~900grams, so yeah, it should be able to lift it.
But that's getting close to doubling the normal takeoff weight of the P2 so I have no idea how well it will perform at that weight.

Part of the reason for the way the P2V+ integrated camera is designed, is to save weight over the Zenmuse Gimbal and GoPro camera.
The lighter camera at the end of the gimbal also reduces the susceptibility to vibration.

Strap 800g onto the Phantom and see how it flies. It would be working flat, fly poorly and not for long.
The P2+is a small quad with small props. It is not a cargo carrier and doesn't have the ability to fly properly with a load that weighs >50% of the Phantom.

You would also need to reassess the weight you want to lift. I suspect the camera, lens, battery and gimbal you are thinking of will exceed the 800g you are betting on.
I've been looking for a quad to carry a Sony Nex 5 because it's a good compromise between light weight and sensor size.
The camera with battery and lens weighs about 360 g and a suitable gimbal weighs about twice as much as the camera.
A gimbal that size will also make demands on the battery.
In flight,weight is everything and to carry the kind of weight you are looking at will require a much bigger/more expensive flying machine.

Ok so I have reworked some of my ideas thanks to everyones responses, I appreciate all the info!

My new plan is to replace the current stock vision+ camera with this gimbal which is 140g(http://www.quadrocopter.com/MK-HiSight-III-Bridge_p_107.html) and the Sony RX100 II which is 281g(http://amzn.com/B00DM8R866) The new cargo weight will be 421g. I will need to add some type of FPV which will add around 80g so this should be a total of around 500g. I think this should work. Anyone have any recommendations of an FPV? Also will I be able to use any part of the current Vision App on my phone? Or will I basically be ditching anything vision related?

You'll have to ditch everything vision related.
Since the Vision's TX and receiver are on 5.8GHz, you'll need to make sure whatever FPV solution you chose runs on 2.4GHz, not 5.8 which seems to be more common.
Does that Sony RX100 have an analog video out you can use with the FVP transmitter?

If your Vision+ Gimbal and Camera still work, you can probably sell them on EBay for enough to pay for the FPV system. Don't forget about the WiFi module inside the Phantom shell. That's part of the camera and dead weight once the gimbal is removed.

Oh, and good luck getting that Gimbal mounted on the Phantom and working with the Naza. Hopefully it won't be too difficult.

It occurred to me, that from an economic standpoint, you would be better off selling that working Vision+ and buying a standard Phantom 2 with no Gimbal for $680.
You should easily be able to get more than $680 for the Vision+ provided it hasn't been crashed.
You'll be ahead mechanically and electrically also since the standard Phantom 2 has a 2.4GHz TX and receiver so 5.8GHz FPV won't be a problem.

Hopefully soon you can, price not yet announced. estimated release date is supposed to be sometime next month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIY7M8lD6CM

I should probably ask for a percentage of their you-tube profits from this video as many forums as I've posted it on :| But I just want the **** thing to be available already, so I figure the more people see the video and harass them about it, the sooner/more likely I will be able to buy one!

original camera for vision + weigh 350gr, then the camera and gimbal in one. when you fly in 18 min until you have 25% of battery. I mounted the camera and tried to fly without it, then held the battery in 25 minutes as advertised. amazing phantom vision +

jonathanivy said:
Ok so I have reworked some of my ideas thanks to everyones responses, I appreciate all the info!

My new plan is to replace the current stock vision+ camera with ... and the Sony RX100 II

In that case you might be better off to look at the Walkera Tali H500 for an off-the-shelf RTF solution. This has been designed to fly the RX100. The copter is available .. just have to wait for them to release the gimbal, sometime soon?

cmturn0 said:
Hopefully soon you can, price not yet announced. estimated release date is supposed to be sometime next month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIY7M8lD6CM

I should probably ask for a percentage of their you-tube profits from this video as many forums as I've posted it on :| But I just want the **** thing to be available already, so I figure the more people see the video and harass them about it, the sooner/more likely I will be able to buy one!

Wow! Awesome! If this priced well, I can see it selling like hot cakes! :-D

The Quickrelease video shows that the camera sits on a moving platform mounted to the landing skids. I still think it's going to be a big hit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20