Replace Radio Control Unit For Phantom 2 (with Go Pro)

Reaction score
Hello.

I've recently bought a Phantom 2 and am starting to make some major upgrades. I'm trying to figure out the best Futaba Controler and Receiver that will both not break my budget but give me a decent upgrade in range/usability. I've been reading the forum quite a bit but a lot of stuff is very technical in nature and I'm unsure what do to next.

Questions -

1. What is the best budget receiver / controller that will work with Phantom 2 - I'm intending to upgrade the receiving in the Quad itself and then pair it with the controller. If someone can give me the model numbers I can then look to buy online or used.

I was thinking something like this (Futaba T7c 2.4 Ghz Fasst Transmitter With 2 Receivers R617FS):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-T7c-2-4- ... 417d026010

2. Are there any easy to follow instructions on how to install the Futaba receiver? I've seen some posts but they're pretty hard to follow for the novice and often are for the Phantom 1. All I'm looking for is simple instructions on how to plug in the receiver with the Phantom 2 (where it goes) and do I need to buy extra wires to do this work? I really have no idea.
3. Are there any setup specs for the Futaba controller I should be aware of? I saw some posts with pages of setup specs. I'm really looking for something simple to understand.

So far I have the Phantom 2, FatShark Goggles, 5.4 ghz 600mhw transmitter, and I also bought the custom cables from First Person View UK.

Thank you - I really appreciate any help, I know I'm a novice but trying to learn!

If you're looking at Futaba then go with the T8J as a bare minimum.
Take a look at the FrSky Taranis though. Really happy with mine and the flexibility is immense.

Arseniaa said:
I thought t8j wasn't compatible? My impression was you had to use FASST.
Only if you intend to bind the remote to the Phantom 2's receiver. Ditch the receiver, install the Futaba receiver, and you're good to go.

havasuphoto said:
Arseniaa said:
I thought t8j wasn't compatible? My impression was you had to use FASST.
Only if you intend to bind the remote to the Phantom 2's receiver. Ditch the receiver, install the Futaba receiver, and you're good to go.

Does the FrSky Taranis require the installation of another receiver? Or can it bind to the phantom on its own?

You need an FRSKY receiver. The FRSKY X8R seems to be the most popular and comes with the Taranis as a bundle that is offered for about $30 more than the receiver. It's easy to swap out the receiver but it will take some time to understand the Taranis but IMO, it seems a much better value than $500 + for Futaba or other....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic