Repairing motors. Can anybody tell me?

Reaction score
I made the idiotic mistake of removing the prop guards (some might say using prop guards was my first mistake) and re-inserting the longer screws which, of course, damaged the windings in the motors. I would like to try to fix them but am not sure how to diasassemble the motors. Anybody know how?
I can go from this:

to this:

but how do I get this apart?

do I need to attack here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• motor01.jpg
    motor01.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 690
  • motor02.jpg
    motor02.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 667
  • motor03.jpg
    motor03.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 691
  • motor04.jpg
    motor04.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 695
I agree with above for around $20 just replace the motor

captej26 said:
They are cheap to buy

$100 ain't that cheap but that's beside the point as i bought new motors.
however, it seems a shame to throw them out.
i'm sure i can fix them if i can get at the innards.
if it can be put together it can be taken apart.

750r said:

it's not a question of money. i've already replaced the motors (and $20 is low-balling it- try $25-30 + shipping)
i know these can be repaired and then I will have some spares.
shame to throw out something that can be refurbished.

cruz_ctrl said:
750r said:

it's not a question of money. i've already replaced the motors (and $20 is low-balling it- try $25-30 + shipping)
i know these can be repaired and then I will have some spares.
shame to throw out something that can be refurbished.

I don't know how to get into the part you are working on.. But, I would say... I'd be wary of flying with repaired motors if you aren't sure you are refurbishing them properly. All it takes is one to go bad and then you're replacing far more than the motors :)

Good luck though!

Well the screws damaged the coil(s) by severing the wires in one or more places.

These motors are wound by automated machines assuring equal amounts and uniform placement of wire and turns per phase.

Theoretically you could repair it.
Just rewind the damaged coil(s).

Many enjoy the chalenge of such things but, even if succesful, this is a bad idea for reuse in an aircraft.

Good luck.

I made the same mistake.... Gggrrrr. But it was an excuse to order the antigravity motors. Had to wait two weeks for them. That was another excuse to buy the blade 200qx[WINKING FACE]

N017RW said:
Well the screws damaged the coil(s) by severing the wires in one or more places.

These motors are wound by automated machines assuring equal amounts and uniform placement of wire and turns per phase.

Theoretically you could repair it.
Just rewind the damaged coil(s).

Many enjoy the chalenge of such things but, even if succesful, this is a bad idea for reuse in an aircraft.

Good luck.

+1

Unless you're experienced in re-winding brushless motors, I wouldn't suggest doing so for such a critical component in a flying machine. It's not impossible to do, but too easy to not do right.

Buckaye said:
I'd be wary of flying with repaired motors if you aren't sure you are refurbishing them properly. All it takes is one to go bad and then you're replacing far more than the motors :)

Point taken! but rewinding motors is not rocket science. they are very simple electro-magnetic devices.
once fixed they can be tested for reliability and then will have as much chance of failing as any other motor.

N017RW said:

That is correct and I can see the severed strands.

Theoretically you could repair it. Just rewind the damaged coil(s).

That's the plan- if I can get at them.

Just about every plane in the air today is flying with repaired, refurbished parts.
The motors, once fixed, can be tested.
Then they are just as reliable (or likely to fail) as the other motors on the quad.
I don't mean to oversimplify the repair issue but some responses have tended to overcomplicate it.

OI Photography said:
Unless you're experienced in re-winding brushless motors, I wouldn't suggest doing so for such a critical component in a flying machine. It's not impossible to do, but too easy to not do right.

I'd be interested to know what, in your opinion, is the most critical thing to watch out for when doing this repair.

I took the whole thing apart, even had to realign the magnets on the outer shell, i just super glued them in place so they wouldn't slip anymore, I also superglued the little copper ring on the back of the motor back on because i lost the clip. thats my fc40 it flies like a bat outta hell still regardless my gps isn't working anymore which has just made me a better pilot. Any ways I have a Phantom 2 that crashed like......I'm talking 45 deg angle 60 mph dive crash, broke the shell just one arm, rest looked untouched, one motor and the ESC snapped. I replaced the ESC with a new one and relplaced motors with up grades, but when I plug in the battery and turn it on, it just constantly beeps and blinks red lights on all LEDs. Mind you when this happened I gave the quad some throttle at first to hover 10 ft or so and it was like the throttle stick stuck and that sucker took off like a bottle rocket headed west, I panicked and shut off my controller so it would go into failsafe. It started coming back to me but wobbling all over the place like the throttle was still full blast or something, and then took its dive from about 60 or 70 ft. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem lol? I put 9" blades on my fc40 and tried to fly it and it was all over the place, could hardly control it, whats with that?

I made the idiotic mistake of removing the prop guards (some might say using prop guards was my first mistake) and re-inserting the longer screws which, of course, damaged the windings in the motors. I would like to try to fix them but am not sure how to diasassemble the motors. Anybody know how?
I can go from this:

to this:

but how do I get this apart?

do I need to attack here?

Thanks!

I made a similar mistake when i was replacing cracked shells on my phantom 4 pro+ and during reassembly drove the motor screws only thru the lower shell to the motors. The long screws chewed up the windings. I am now ordering 4 new motors but like you i'd be interested to tinker around trying to repair the windings or maybe just recycle the permanent magnets and copper. I agree to fly hand wound motors would be risky since balancing field intensities (from possible extra turns or missing turns) is important for stable symmetrically powered flight. ESC boards do 3 phase motor speed control but i wonder if it is gyro coupled...for horizontal hover. Can anyone suggest a recycle facility?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers