Repair or Replace Shell

Reaction score
I started a thread yesterday asking for advice on how to replace a shell. I got several responses saying to just fix mine. A search brought up that many people are using Bondic. Is this the best to use?

Here's what I have. Does it look repairable, or should I get a new shell and just focus on reinforcing that?

You can see the cracks in the post on the right here.

Seeing this, does this look like something I can repair, or is it too far gone? It's two arms that are cracked. I guess my fear is that I've never had much luck "gluing" plastic. I am paranoid that the motor is going to break free causing me to crash. Knowing how expensive a crash is, I'm trying to avoid going through that again.

I started a thread yesterday asking for advice on how to replace a shell. I got several responses saying to just fix mine. A search brought up that many people are using Bondic. Is this the best to use?

Here's what I have. Does it look repairable, or should I get a new shell and just focus on reinforcing that?

You can see the cracks in the post on the right here.

Seeing this, does this look like something I can repair, or is it too far gone? It's two arms that are cracked. I guess my fear is that I've never had much luck "gluing" plastic. I am paranoid that the motor is going to break free causing me to crash. Knowing how expensive a crash is, I'm trying to avoid going through that again.
That can be repaired! I too had the stress cracks I used epoxy inside and out and encased the inside and carefully re drilled holes this was on a P2 though.

So is your advice to just fill in around the wholes, or should I completely fill in the holes and then re drill them? I'm not really an expert when it comes to gluing plastic. In fact, I've never had much luck with it, so any advice is appreciated.

If DJI is not replacing your shell free of charge, it would be easy for you to first try to repair and if that doesn't work then go for replacement. Replacement is not that easy.

For repairing, you should not fill the holes. Repair the cracks first and if that's not enough fill the glue around the space of mounts.

As i think i posted in your thread, "strongarms" will solve yer worries. If u do reshell though sell me that shell cause its o.k.
Hell i'd reshell it for ya & keep the shell

As i think i posted in your thread, "strongarms" will solve yer worries. If u do reshell though sell me that shell cause its o.k.
Hell i'd reshell it for ya & keep the shell
I looked into the strong arms. They seem like they would alleviate my worries of the motor falling out, but some of the reviews on those things worry me. People are saying that don't tighten up, cause the drone to crack worse, etc. I don't really know what to believe because there are some good reviews too.

I've read in some post that you can buy a re-enforcement on ebay that is not too expensive around $15.00

Send it in for repair, the sooner you do, you get it back quicker too. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yeah if you can just send it in the turnaround is only about three weeks. Just get it done right if it's under warranty, probably get replaced with the new style shell

Ok, I don't know him, but, well then again Hani, can also replace the shell for you, when you get a new one. ;-)
As good help is hard to find. Be grateful...
We have www.droneology.ca in town, and the hobby shop I will and sometimes "frequent". ;-)

RedHotPoker

Replace shell yourself. It will take about 8hours if you are inexperienced but it is totally worth it. Plus there are step by step vids on youtube

Well perhaps you should look into that "plast aid" a shot. From the looks of it you can probably pour it in easily just by lifting the motors from the outside without needing to open the shell?

thanks for your reply. Its not that severe issue, it is just one plastic latch snapped out, so at the end of the arm it is a bit misaligned.
20160331_134327.jpg

Replace shell yourself. It will take about 8hours if you are inexperienced but it is totally worth it. Plus there are step by step vids on youtube
Jeez that long !? Few hours max surely !?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik