Repair hassle - doesn't DJI pay shipping both ways for certain things?

Reaction score
Hey all - getting a bit of a runaround. After a one-battery flight on Sunday, during my routine postflight inspection I noticed a small crack in the upper shell near one of the motors. I e-mailed DJI on Sunday, but didn't hear back all day Monday, so I live-chatted and they said I would receive an RMA today (Tuesday). So after not hearing back all day today, I live-chatted again and was finally sent an e-mail.

It says to send my drone to Carson, CA; this is for a crack in a 2-month-old, never-crashed, hand-caught P3P - haven't I read about DJI paying shipping there and back for things like this? Doesn't seem like I should have to foot the bill for what is clearly a manufacturing defect.

It also says fill out and print the Customer Information Sheet attached to their e-mail - except that there's nothing attached. And I can't find one on their site.

I'm leaving for a trip next Thursday the 18th and had planned to get a lot of photos/video; I've explained twice now the urgency, hoping I would be able to be fast-tracked like I've read that some people are with cracks like this - but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling so far. Anybody have any idea what else I could be doing to try to get this thing repaired and back to me before I leave?

Reactions: lafester
Standard business practice for factory returns is the customer pays for shipping to the OEM and they pay for return to the customer.

Yeah, I get that, but a crack in an upper shell after two months, no crashes, seems clearly to be a factory defect. Not to mention this is a widely known issue. This would be a great opportunity for DJI to really take good care of the customer. Especially if shell cracks are as rare as some speculate.

Have only had to call to get a RMA 2 times and I got the e mail one day then the RMA label the next . Both times for me they paid both ways .
The last one I got to send it back was a 2 day air . The other was just ground .
Have heard different things from different members but that has been what I have had .

Yeah, I get that, but a crack in an upper shell after two months, no crashes, seems clearly to be a factory defect. Not to mention this is a widely known issue. This would be a great opportunity for DJI to really take good care of the customer. Especially if shell cracks are as rare as some speculate.

I agree with you. I think in light of some of the horror stories I've heard about DJI's lack of customer support, in your situation, I'd be happy to have gotten their attention so soon.

Companies that pay for shipping both ways on a warranty return are rare. I guess I need to question all the negative things I've read about DJI customer support. I hope they make good on the repair and get you back in the air quickly!

Thanks, Lucky - you're right. I'm a huge DJI fan - these machines are absolutely incredible. I'm hoping they take care of me!

Reactions: Lucky 777
Good luck TC. That was dealing with the LA folks . I have Rebel there now . I have had good luck with them the 2 times I have
had to deal with them but I call them . I don't mess with that chat .

Do follow the instructions though to the T . That RMA # has to be on both sides of the box as well as wrote on the label
even though it's already there . Kinda a pain but it is what it is .

Companies that pay for shipping both ways on a warranty return are rare. I guess I need to question all the negative things I've read about DJI customer support. I hope they make good on the repair and get you back in the air quickly!

ahhh? no. Almost every single company I've dealt with paid shipping both ways! even DJI, they currently have mine for the same reason as OP.
Corsair,NZXT,almost all computer manufactures pay both ways, I even bought an old used OCZ PSU and it was fried, somehow still under the 3 year warranty, they paid both ways.
My Springfield 1911, no matter who owns it in the future, 100 years from now, they will pay the shipping both ways for a warranty issue.

Even my knife set/ Shun will pay the shipping if there was a defect.
Bottom line, many companies actually do, even wholesalers/retailers like Walmart/Amazon will all pay shipping to and from for a defect.

just sayin

I had the crack iisue- P3P.

Online chat followed by email with instructions to send photos of damage and purchase details.

Email several hours after i sent email with courier label.

Collected following day by courier and returned one week later fixed.

No charge.

ahhh? no. Almost every single company I've dealt with paid shipping both ways! even DJI, they currently have mine for the same reason as OP.
Corsair,NZXT,almost all computer manufactures pay both ways, I even bought an old used OCZ PSU and it was fried, somehow still under the 3 year warranty, they paid both ways.
My Springfield 1911, no matter who owns it in the future, 100 years from now, they will pay the shipping both ways for a warranty issue.

Even my knife set/ Shun will pay the shipping if there was a defect.
Bottom line, many companies actually do, even wholesalers/retailers like Walmart/Amazon will all pay shipping to and from for a defect.

just sayin
Thank you for clearing that up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj