Removing UV Filter tips

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on how to get the existing UV filter off my bird to add an ND filter. I used the tool that comes with the P3 for tightening blades which fit snug around the filter and still wouldn't remove it..thanks

Make sure you're turning it to the left. If your fingers slip, try wearing rubber gloves or wrap something rubber around the filter.

Latex gloves and a very light grip on the lens ring near the glass.

The tighter you squeeze the more friction you get from the filter ring deforming. You need some way of introducing friction on the outer surface of the ring without deforming it.

As has been mentioned rubber glove, rubber band, rubber sole of a shoe pressed against the face of the ring- I even heard of one bloke using a franger. It will come off. The first time is the hardest, don't put them on too tight after that,

Reactions: Kima kim
The tweezer like motor tool that came with the phantom works well too. Fits right over. Just hold the handles close to the lens and squeeze lightly.

Reactions: Lefty63
I tried everything from rubber bands to rubber gloves and could never get it off no matter what grip used. I finally sprayed a VERY little bit of silicone lubricant on the threads and waited a few minutes. It came right off.

Dam...I'm having the same problem -- actually broke the tweezers - by mistake of course. I can't get this darn thing off.

You broke the clamp tool?

dji-ph3std_3.jpg

The trick (other than using something grippy) is to use even pressure around the ring else you end up binding the threads making it more difficult to remove.

Used the tool above but squeeze very lightly, so it just slips as you turn - remember too tight and it wont come off!!!

Dam...I'm having the same problem -- actually broke the tweezers - by mistake of course. I can't get this darn thing off.
Spray some WD40 into a small vessel. Then unse a tooth pick or something similar to put a small drop or two onto the thread area.
Wait a few minutes....

You need a very light touch when trying to remove, as close to glass as possible so you don't put pressure on the threads.
The best tool I've seen was posted by BigA107, you should be able to buy something similar locally.

Personally, I try and avoid any kind of petroleum based products around plastics. Some plastics can become degraded when exposed while others are fine.

Reactions: Vinman
Personally, I try and avoid any kind of petroleum based products around plastics. Some plastics can become degraded when exposed while others are fine.

Agree 100%, however it sounds like he's run out of ideas.

The housing is aluminum so that's not an issue, hence my suggestion to use as little as possible and only place it exactly where needed.

Reactions: Trinimon
I had exactly the same problem with my 4th one [ the others all came off easily] - and yes, a drop of lubricant in the thread joint made it come off easily after a couple of minutes.

I started with light hand/finger pressure and unfortunately it has escalated......I'll calm down and try tomorrow :)

LOL, did you try a Dab of WD40? Patience and a gentle touch are REALLY required

It's counter intuitive as the threads are galled (oxidized) so the least amount of force is best. Actually pushing the lens filter in/out a bit while turning and not deforming the thin aluminum may help the threads loosen off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr