Removing stock UV filter.

Reaction score
Is there a trick to removing the stock UV filter from a P3P? I can't seem to get the **** thing off.

Yes. It's actually very easy. I learned it watching a YouTube video. Turn the drone upside down. Then hold the camera unit between thumb and for fingers (grip camera). Use other hand to twist off. Such a better angled. I tried for 20min. Then when I turned it off took 5sec.

Reactions: brianb87
The harder I gripped mine, the more stubborn it was. Then some how I discovered just the lightest grip with the tips of my fingers and it turned smoothly off. I think a strong squeeze on two sides of it just locks it solidly into the fine threads.

Reactions: Jtrjr
I had the exact same experience! Tried a dozen times as hard as I would date. Then flipped it over and somehow did it gently and it came right off! I couldn't believe it. Hold it close to the glass edge to minimize the amount you squeeze the thread area

Reactions: phantomi
I had the exact same experience! Tried a dozen times as hard as I would date. Then flipped it over and somehow did it gently and it came right off! I couldn't believe it. Hold it close to the glass edge to minimize the amount you squeeze the thread area
LOL-- you cant believe how many threads on the forum about this one problem-- a light grips is the key-- fine aluminum threads will stick if there is the slightest amount of side pressure instead of rotation pressure:)

Let your Wife do it! I spent almost 2 weeks trying to get the damned thing off myself. By hand. Using rubber gloves, a condom, elastic rubber-band, a Rubbermaid plastic cap remover and finally, a pair of channel lock pliers with a hand towel as protection. All of these attempts failed. Sitting there frustrated, my 5' -1" Wife walks by my office and asks what's the matter. I tell her my plight. She's says, "let me try". I say "be my Guest". She walks over and with the first attempt unscrews it using only her tiny, delicate fingers........the light touch is the secret.......

Reactions: Viral
Plenty of lube and latex gloves a winning combination in any scenario!!Oh yeah and tug hard!:p

LOL-- you cant believe how many threads on the forum about this one problem-- a light grips is the key-- fine aluminum threads will stick if there is the slightest amount of side pressure instead of rotation pressure:)

I was a little worried about trying the DBS mod then I saw multiple threads on how to remove the lens cap[emoji41]

just another data point. i struggled with this today and was afraid that i was going to break the **** gimbal. i tried rubber bands, latex glove, etc. i watched 3 youtube videos.

in the end, i was about to give up and then i read through the rest of this thread and i went really lightly and like magic it just screwed right off!

Is there a trick to removing the stock UV filter from a P3P? I can't seem to get the **** thing off.
Persevere, i spent days trying and then the elastic band worked. i got one twice the size and twisted in half so double around the filter. then with my finger and thumb held the lense tight with my had holding the camara. it came of at last.. I think there was a bit of grit in the thread, due to me crashing it. Last resort, break all the glass out, clean it and get a filter that goes over the lense. steve

I just wore latex gloves for grip and it came right off
i often find when i use latex gloves for grip and plenty of lube it shoots off quite quickly too!!:D;) Great avatar by the way, good result last night!!

Last edited:
Reactions: chessman
I was able to get it off when I used a rubber band. I have heard of people using a pair of pliers, I don't recommend that..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do not use pliers. It will bend the filter. The key is counterintuitive less pressure and twist.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I used the tool that came from DJI to hold the motor (new motors) so you can get the prop off. I raped the plastic tool around the UV lens on camera. The old motors come with a different metal tool that will not work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20