Removing props after flight?

Reaction score
Hi so I saw it's pretty common to remove props after each flight (to fit in bag, or whatever reason). Do you guys think it's wise? As i see it, There's just too many places for human error.

- Not tightening the props enough
- Putting them on the wrong motors
- Wearing out the plastic (internal) threads

Any advantages I might be missing here guys?

Hi so I saw it's pretty common to remove props after each flight (to fit in bag, or whatever reason). Do you guys think it's wise? As i see it, There's just too many places for human error.

- Not tightening the props enough
- Putting them on the wrong motors
- Wearing out the plastic (internal) threads

Any advantages I might be missing here guys?
First off... just how tight are you putting your props on? They only have to be finger tight. (hold the motor with a couple of fingers and "snug" the props on. I have never had one come off yet BTW.
Second.... there is no way you can put them on the wrong motors. Black to black... silver to silver.
Third... I have never heard of anyone wearing out the internal threads. The only way you could do that would be if you are overtightening the props.

Reactions: Meta4
Hi Dave, I don't remove them after each flight so i don't have any probs there, Just wanted to see what other people think. When you say you can't put them on the wrong motors, Do you mean they physically won't fit? Because if it's just a color thing that's why i put it down as "Human Error"

I always keep the props on. Don't see any reason to remove them so long as you have case that allows you to keep them on.

You could make an argument that leaving the props on could lead to risk of props coming off as you have to remember to check they're tight before each flight etc. So swings and roundabouts.

I leave them on if I am near the car or heading to another location quite quickly afterwards as I do think it is less wear and tear on the screw threads.

But eventually they come off as there is a lot to be said for having a relatively compact backpack that it'll fit in to with the props off.

I think i removed and putted back those props at least 150 times, my Phantom 3 travelled over 250KM in over 240 flights(i kinda not care about saving every flight and lost many formatting my tablet), after every flight the props are removed, Phantom back in bag, etc...Im still using same props as day 1 and they work flawless. I spin em and then make em snug with my hand holding the motor...

Reactions: sergekouper
Hi Dave, I don't remove them after each flight so i don't have any probs there, Just wanted to see what other people think. When you say you can't put them on the wrong motors, Do you mean they physically won't fit? Because if it's just a color thing that's why i put it down as "Human Error"
It's not just a colour thing........silver is right hand thread, and black is left hand. Impossible to put on the wrong motor.

It's strickley preference. I leave mine on most of the time but when I am working on her inside on the table props come off. Don't want to chance an accidental startup and big fly in the house. My RTH works to well and well you know us guys. Playing with the toys and forgetting to turn on the controller could lead to repairing the ceiling or the quad.

The
The threading of the shafts won't allow you to put the wrong prop on. The blacks are a "reverse thread".The color coding is just a convenience.

I leave the props on my P3 90% of the time. I have a backpack that's built for that. And I always remove the props on my P2V+ which still gets a lot of flight time. I haven't noticed any difference in performance or prop wear between either keeping them on or removing them.

I remove the props after every flight. If I ever get to the point that I think the threads are "wearing out", I will just use new props. With the composite hubs, these props are relativity inexpensive.

Reactions: Reed L
It's strickley preference. I leave mine on most of the time but when I am working on her inside on the table props come off. Don't want to chance an accidental startup and big fly in the house. My RTH works to well and well you know us guys. Playing with the toys and forgetting to turn on the controller could lead to repairing the ceiling or the quad.

Or your fingers!!

Mark.

I keep mine on when I know I have multiple days of flying weather. When it turns ugly for a stretch or I know I can't fly for a while, I take them off. I also take them off when I'm using the simulator.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31