Removing original 5.8 antenna wire from the controller

Reaction score
I have ordered the stage 2 kit from FPVLR. I am cautiously optimistic about the increase in range. My concern is the removal of the original/stock antenna and wire. I've heard of multiple people who have ruined the remote by damaging the board upon cutting the old wire free. It's been recommended that I just go slow and use acetone. Does anyone have any suggestions which could prevent failure? Any videos of the removal in detail?

TexanBuckeye said:
I have ordered the stage 2 kit from FPVLR. I am cautiously optimistic about the increase in range. My concern is the removal of the original/stock antenna and wire. I've heard of multiple people who have ruined the remote by damaging the board upon cutting the old wire free. It's been recommended that I just go slow and use acetone. Does anyone have any suggestions which could prevent failure? Any videos of the removal in detail?

Has anyone else done this modification and had noticeable increase in range? I would love to do this, but I want to make sure this is worth the time, effort, and money.

Seen a video on yourTV about the mod.
I don't know what you mean with using acetone ?
The connector in the RC is glued with silicon. ( if i recall it right )
Watch out with acetone and the RC casing ( also the birds one ).
It will desolve it !
I guess your reference to people messing up the connectors is in the bird on the RC receiver.
A stage 2 mod doesn't involve the bird, Just the RC and wifi extender.
The only connectors you can mess up are the ones in the birds on the RC receiver board, that glue is something i've never seen before and resist even max temp off my soldering station. Its like concrete.
Yesterday i managed to loosen them without any damage, but thats for a stage 4 mod.

Also any antenna ( for 5.8Ghz ) will improve range of the bird. ( except a other basic antenna )
DJI uses antennas with basic specifications for the RC.

ToThePoint said:
It will desolve it !
I guess your reference to people messing up the connectors is in the bird on the RC receiver.
The only connectors you can mess up are the ones in the birds on the RC receiver board, that glue is something i've never seen before and resist even max temp off my soldering station. Its like concrete.
Yesterday i managed to loosen them without any damage, but thats for a stage 4 mod.

Also any antenna ( for 5.8Ghz ) will improve range of the bird. ( except a other basic antenna )

I've already modded my wifi with the tplink mod, can you make a recommendation for the best antennae to replace my RC one with?
Thanks!

I tried to do this and broke the connector on the antenna board in the tx. Would like to find a replacement board and fix what I broke. More info on this topic here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7733
and here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21508

Anybody know where I can buy one of these?

Attachments

• Photo on 2014-07-29 at 23.41.jpg
    Photo on 2014-07-29 at 23.41.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 526
  • Photo on 2014-07-29 at 23.42.jpg
    Photo on 2014-07-29 at 23.42.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 565
sidebox said:
ToThePoint said:
It will desolve it !

I've already modded my wifi with the tplink mod, can you make a recommendation for the best antennae to replace my RC one with?
Thanks!

Sure, i made a collinear antenna ( 16 elements ) thats has doubled the RC range. Max i was on FPV 2,1km and still had RC control. ( no boosters )
Currently working on 2x5 element collinear antennas for the birds RC receiver.
That kinda antenna is omni directional.

Woody said:
I tried to do this and broke the connector on the antenna board in the tx. Would like to find a replacement board and fix what I broke. More info on this topic here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7733
and here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21508

Anybody know where I can buy one of these?

there are plenty of people with wrote off or flown off phantoms, maybe an add in the wanted section for a complete tranny might bear fruit??

sidebox said:
sounds great. Do you sell this anywhere?

Its easy to make ( for me ). Google for collinear antenna and thing may get clear on this easy to make your own antenna.
I don't sell it because it take me several hours to make one. Its going to be very expensive.

Dimensions:

1/2 wave 17.07mm
Top element 12.93mm and the shortened 1/4 element under the top one is 8.53mm.
Bazooka balun element on the RC TX antenna. ( the RC you hold on your hands )

wewin1 said:

That would work also.
I've used the following design.

collinears.gif

Measurement have to be adjusted if you use coax with a other V factor than 0.66.
I used RG58 and replaced the other shield with brass 4mm tube, with a digital caliper you can make the tube size to 1/100 of a mm.
It takes a lot off time to make the tubes @ the exact size but once made the assembly of all the parts is easy.
I have put the antenna on the RC ( 16 elements ) in a 2.4ghz antenna casing that was previous a 9db one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31