Remove GPS components?

zma

Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing the GPS components on the Phantom? Is it possible to do without issue?

I never ever get 6 satellites so I have pretty much always flown in Atti, plus I don't trust flyaways / not coming home - - a lot seem to be initiated while in GPS mode.

GPS seems like a gimmick or simply "training wheels" type flying to me, not as a type of no-flyaway insurance. Real insurance would be for them to have a garmin-type gps on there so you can locate it after a loss.

thanks

zma said:
Has anyone tried removing the GPS components on the Phantom? Is it possible to do without issue?

I never ever get 6 satellites so I have pretty much always flown in Atti, plus I don't trust flyaways / not coming home - - a lot seem to be initiated while in GPS mode.

GPS seems like a gimmick or simply "training wheels" type flying to me, not as a type of no-flyaway insurance. Real insurance would be for them to have a garmin-type gps on there so you can locate it after a loss.

thanks

It is not a gimmick. It's extremely useful and makes the machine safer for the public. If you ever fly out of signal and don't have GPS, it will just keep going. With the GPS, it will return home and you can feel some security in that it's less likely to crash into something or someone. Use the GPS. I don't see any reason not to.

Agree with race3.
You may want to get the GPS app and check at your flying site to see how many satellites are out there.
It is the god send for sure.

GPS is needed for flying on ATT mode as far as I understand. You just need less satellites.

My guess is that if you remove GPS, ATT mode will not work (or will not work properly)

Even if you do not use GPS mode, return to home, or IOC I believe you are still using satellite info when you are on ATT mode.

If you fly on manual mode then I believe you really do not need GPS at all.

M

If you really want to disable the gps just disconnect the compass or gps connection to the naza. Though I dont see what the benefit of doing this would be. If you dont want to fly in gps mode or are in an area with poor satellite reception just stick to atti mode.

Atti mode does not need or use the gps/compass as you can get a naza to work without these in ATTI an manual they just wont have gps mode, rth failsafe or IOC modes. If you have no gps then failsafe will be autoland so if you ever lose signal it will just land. If its windy it will land at the speed of the wind after drifting with it til it hits the ground. GPS is not to be relied upon 100% but it most likely will save you from losing your quad if you lose reception. Im sure gps has save 99 phantoms to 1 it may have caused to flyaway due to gps or poor compass readings.

I really see no advantage in disabling it just dont use it and if things go wrong your less likely to lose it with gps then without. Even if you set faiksafe to autoland if you have the gps at least it will come straight down fighting the wind compared to what will happen without gps if there is any wind and it auto lands out of your control.

Colombus said:
GPS is needed for flying on ATT mode as far as I understand. You just need less satellites.

My guess is that if you remove GPS, ATT mode will not work (or will not work properly)

Even if you do not use GPS mode, return to home, or IOC I believe you are still using satellite info when you are on ATT mode.

If you fly on manual mode then I believe you really do not need GPS at all.

M

ATTI mode doesn't require GPS. That is why many can fly indoor in ATTI mode when there's no satellite reception.
IOC; CL requires only compass but HL will also require GPS.

I appreciate the replies.

I was wanting to remove it for the weight, since i'm not using it. I know it probably doesn't weigh much, but it could offset part of the FPV equip I've put on there.

Race3 and other's comments would be more relevant if it could reliably see all the satellites, which, in my experience, doesn't ever happen. I also couldn't get my MOD calibration number any lower than around 2500-3000, but maybe this range is considered ok, I don't know.

I have to take everyone's word for it, that it will return home safe in GPS mode, IF all conditions are perfect. For me, that is a big IF.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1