Remove gimbal lock when put P3 in hardshell backpack

Do you remove the gimbal lock?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have a DJI Phantom hardshell backpack and use it as a bus for my phantom going places. After using it a while, I notice that the gimbal lock has made a deep penetration into the foam at the bottom.

Do you remove the gimbal lock when putting your Phantom in?

Last edited:
No. That is the reason for the gimbal lock. But I don't have the original lock, so mine didn't touch the foam at the bottom. Consider the use of another type of lock.

I have cut the foam in the base of my hard case to accept the protection brace bar.
The gimbal will bounce around which is not good if its not locked in place.

Hey, I have the original case and i still put the gimbal lock although it deforms the foam a bit. You can just flip the foam from time to time, but it is very important to keep the gimbal lock in order to protect it while it is in transport.

I leave my gimbal lock on. I noticed the imprint in the foam. I have a theory that this pushes the camera up so the rubber damper ball thingies get a rest from supporting the camera thus prolonging there life. At least that's what I tell myself. Man those guys over at DJI really thought about everything.

Reactions: indur and GunnyPapa
I don't use the gimbal lock when I use the case. The gimbal touches the foam so it is not free to move or bounce around while in the case.

I'm thinking gimbal lock was made for a reason! I put mine on religiously everytime I put it in the case.
I have gone back to the original lock, now I put it on in a few seconds. The oem lock does not touch any part of the foam in my dji hard shell backpack.

Last night, I tried to flip my P3 90 degree with gimbal lock on and I realized that the rubber ball & cable have to hold the camera.

I think if the foam is removed, the camera & gimbal lock will bounce around while we're moving. So I think it should be better not to remove gimbal lock or the foam.

No problem with this gimbal lock. It is very easy to put and take off and maintain good stability of the gimbal.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 405
I have a DJI Phantom hardshell backpack and use it as a bus for my phantom going places. After using it a while, I notice that the gimbal lock has made a deep penetration into the foam at the bottom.

Do you remove the gimbal lock when putting your Phantom in?
I have the same case and noticed the same thing when using a aftermarket gimbal lock. It would push the gimbal back when looking at the bird in the case. I didn't like how it was pushing the rubber isolators back so far. And I store mine in the backpack so I didn't like the idea of long storage like that so I put my original one back on. It's more of a pain in the *** to use but fits in the backpack better and doesn't push the gimbal at all...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Zuzua
I'm thinking gimbal lock was made for a reason! I put mine on religiously everytime I put it in the case.
I have gone back to the original lock, now I put it on in a few seconds. The oem lock does not touch any part of the foam in my dji hard shell backpack.
Agreed[emoji106]

I have the $30 non-DJI backpack (total bargain BTW!) and neither the OE gimbal lock nor the non-OE lock touch the foam. I like the $2 non-OE unit because it's so easy to use, but as the OE unit is so much more substantial, I stick with that.

I have the $30 non-DJI backpack (total bargain BTW!) and neither the OE gimbal lock nor the non-OE lock touch the foam. I like the $2 non-OE unit because it's so easy to use, but as the OE unit is so much more substantial, I stick with that.
Actually that's the one I have too. From gearbest. I say the same because it's basically a exact copy of the Dji one. I looked at the Dji one and scene comparisons and they are almost the exact same thing. And mine did touch and push the gimbal back using the aftermarket one. Not sure how yours doesn't touch it. With my stock one on there is no extra room at all on the front side where the camera points forward. I didn't feel like cutting the foam cause it's already thin there so I put the stock one back on...here's a pick of mine...there's barely any extra room, and when you put the other gimbal guard on it touches there and actually pushes the camera back. You wouldn't notice it unless your looking for it. You can tell by looking at the rubber isolators. If they are sitting straight like they are when your bird is sitting on the ground, the front is pushing it back...

bd2d9bcc205f4602b5b1b4a21225b9fb.jpg

I only use a gimbal lock lock when going on a long trip with my bird. I'm too lazy to put it on when I'm just going on a short drive/walk somewhere. So far my gimbal is still working just fine

Actually that's the one I have too. From gearbest. I say the same because it's basically a exact copy of the Dji one. I looked at the Dji one and scene comparisons and they are almost the exact same thing. And mine did touch and push the gimbal back using the aftermarket one. Not sure how yours doesn't touch it. With my stock one on there is no extra room at all on the front side where the camera points forward. I didn't feel like cutting the foam cause it's already thin there so I put the stock one back on...here's a pick of mine...there's barely any extra room, and when you put the other gimbal guard on it touches there and actually pushes the camera back. You wouldn't notice it unless your looking for it. You can tell by looking at the rubber isolators. If they are sitting straight like they are when your bird is sitting on the ground, the front is pushing it back...

bd2d9bcc205f4602b5b1b4a21225b9fb.jpg
Mine was around 5mm away from the foam when the case was horizontal, but its pretty irrelevant because as soon as you pick-up the case, the A/C is turned nose-down, so the gimbal drops down against the foam. I noticed this early on and as I actually prefer it to rest against the foam all the time, to eleimintate the stress on the gimbal vibration absorber balloons, I added a couple of foam pads to rest against the lens cap to stop the gimbal falling forward.

I don't mind it touching as you stated its irrelevant when it's upright and carrying it. That's why I use the stock one that's on it in that photo. What I didn't like was the aftermarket one which pushed the gimbal back causing the rubber isolators to be bent backwards. For a short amount of time I'm sure it's no big deal but I store my phantom In the backpack case so didn't like that idea...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers