Remove camera for learning with?

vyoufinder said:
So I just got my Phantom 2 Vision+ this morning. Batteries charged, app installed (instructions didn't even come close but figured it out)..

I'm a little scared to fly it, and thinking it might be a good idea to pull the gimbal and camera off before the first flight, but I don't see how.

Has anyone removed their Vision+ camera from Phantom 2 and flown like that? What steps did you take?

I wouldn't recommend that. The gimbal is so fragile I'm nervous just taking the lens cap on and off. Glad to hear that you're scared. Find an open field and be careful. You'll be fine. Also, buy a Hubsan X4 for < $50.00 and use that to learn how to fly.
http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107-Micro-Copter-2-4GHZ/dp/B009M1PO7W

That's exactly what I did....

and there are several folks around here who wish they had. Here's a link to the thread with detailed instructions on how to do it:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16152&p=148138#p148138

Just take your time and be careful with the 3 ribbon cables and it's pretty easy. I've since put my camera back on and it was all easy. I looked at it like this and you may be as well....removing the camera for the first couple of flights eased my anxiety and fear of damaging the camera/gimbal which BTW will be very expensive to replace and nearly impossible right now with DJI apparently slammed. It also removed the possible distraction of messing around with the camera whilst learning to control your new machine.

As a relative newbe (I've had mine now for a week) I'll offer some other free advice:

*Go ahead and start out in NAZA mode. Keeping both switches in their up position is the same as "phantom" mode anyway. BUT, NAZA mode will allow you some VERY useful functions like IOC (sometimes called Home Lock) which will be a big help if you get confused on the orientation of the V+.

*Read this and other boards, ask questions, watch the how-to videos and read the manual so you understand how to control the thing.

*Initially, keep it close and get a feel for how it responds to the controls before you decide to set any altitude or distance records.

The truth is, if the V+ performs as it's designed, it's pretty easy to fly. I'm still very conservative with mine but, I gain experience and confidence with every flight. Good luck.

+1 - very wise advise.

Gimbal is the least of your worries.
priority is the preflight check list.
And read and re read the manual.

I learnt with an rc simulator. Then Bought a toy quad and still managed to damage 1 of the rotors.
Mind you, Naza is like HAL in space odessy.

vyoufinder said:
I decided not to remove the gimbal and camera for learning with and I don't regret it. Flying the Phantom 2 is completely easy. No learning curve whatsoever. I went straight to Naza-M mode befoe my first flight (still don't understand why there would be any reason not to, or why the scary warning in the Phantom Assistant software.) I even braved trees and all kinds of obstacles before I had finished the second battery. I think taking apart the gimbal would have been riskier, and would've missed out on some sweet footage besides.

Exactly my experience and a good choice. Glad to hear that all's well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers