remove and flight w/o landing gear?

Reaction score
ok, now I know that some of you will laugh at it.
nevertheless, I am very curious about how is fliying w/o Landing gear.
Of course, Landing and take off would be a pain, buy let's put aside this.
my questions are: have somebody tried to flight w/o landing gear? is there any risk of flip it up side down, as Landing gear might act as "weight" to balance the Phantom?
and, is there any reason to have the compass at the bottom of the Landing gear and not stick to the body of the phantom?
I am really keen to try, it would look definitely sleek(er) , have more flight time and so on. Of course i am talking not to have any camera on board. only the body and the props. Would be cool...
what do you have to say to help me in this experiment?

i already try a search everywhere but found nothing...

tknquad said:
my questions are: have somebody tried to flight w/o landing gear? is there any risk of flip it up side down, as Landing gear might act as "weight" to balance the Phantom?
and, is there any reason to have the compass at the bottom of the Landing gear and not stick to the body of the phantom?
I am really keen to try, it would look definitely sleek(er) , have more flight time and so on. Of course i am talking not to have any camera on board. only the body and the props. Would be cool...

lots of quads fly without landing gear, and the legs don't do anything to help stability in the air. To be honest I haven't flown the phantom without landing gear but i'd be surprised if it were upset by it.

The compass is probably the biggest issue. It has to be well-protected from electrical and magnetic interference because it's so sensitive, so you'd need to find a way to mount it where it's not too close to the motors, battery, and other components. There's not a lot of space on the phantom to do that....i've seen people mount it on a stalk above the top shell.

ElGuano said:
tknquad said:

lots of quads fly without landing gear, and the legs don't do anything to help stability in the air. To be honest I haven't flown the phantom without landing gear but i'd be surprised if it were upset by it.

The compass is probably the biggest issue. It has to be well-protected from electrical and magnetic interference because it's so sensitive, so you'd need to find a way to mount it where it's not too close to the motors, battery, and other components. There's not a lot of space on the phantom to do that....i've seen people mount it on a stalk above the top shell.

you are right, I had to say that I was inspired by other quads I seen on videos that are w/o Landing gears. But about the phantom, it seems nobody tried, or at least nobody wrote about that.
interesting about the compass, place it on thop of the shell, on a stalk, could be nice looking.
any more suggestions? what about the rest of the stuff on the other legs?

tknquad said:
you are right, I had to say that I was inspired by other quads I seen on videos that are w/o Landing gears. But about the phantom, it seems nobody tried, or at least nobody wrote about that.
interesting about the compass, place it on thop of the shell, on a stalk, could be nice looking.

i guess you're not mounting a gopro underneath?

the compass will not work on top of the shell, at least how I tried it. It has to be exactly 90 degree to the body precisely where it is supposed to be. I tried putting foldable landing gear on the phantom and thus moved the compass up top and GPS flew like it was drunk to the point where I had to put it into ATT to get it home, it was running away to China. Save yourself the trouble unless someone has a workaround for the compass

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
the compass will not work on top of the shell, at least how I tried it. It has to be exactly 90 degree to the body precisely where it is supposed to be. I tried putting foldable landing gear on the phantom and thus moved the compass up top and GPS flew like it was drunk to the point where I had to put it into ATT to get it home, it was running away to China. Save yourself the trouble unless someone has a workaround for the compass

You may have had the compass reversed, which would case TBE (or it could be the spot you chose wasn't a great one due to interference). My compass is actually on the opposite leg on the other side of the quad because I flipped my Phantom 180 degrees. The Phantom really doesn't seem to care about mounting location so long as it's pointed forward.

FlyingFanta said:
tknquad said:

i guess you're not mounting a gopro underneath?

no, p2 plain and simple

ElGuano said:

You may have had the compass reversed, which would case TBE (or it could be the spot you chose wasn't a great one due to interference). My compass is actually on the opposite leg on the other side of the quad because I flipped my Phantom 180 degrees. The Phantom really doesn't seem to care about mounting location so long as it's pointed forward.

what do you mean 180 degrees? along the vertical axis or the horizontal axis?
me too I

I have found a picture of the compass stick on top of the body, as there were bottles to keep it floating on water, you may have see it on another forum (am i allowed to add links to other forums?)

tknquad said:
ElGuano said:

what do you mean 180 degrees? along the vertical axis or the horizontal axis?
me too I

I have found a picture of the compass stick on top of the body, as there were bottles to keep it floating on water, you may have see it on another forum (am i allowed to add links to other forums?)

You know, that's a very good point. I was just thinking along the horizontal axis because getting north/south reversed is definitelyproblematic. But if you stick the compass on top upside down, I have no idea if that affects it. When I've seen people mount on the top shell, they've always replaced the GPS/Compass with a true Naza-M V2 combination puck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20