Remote Will not start phantom sticks control the gimbal.

Reaction score
I am at a loss here guys. I have provided a simple video to show what it is doing. I have a phantom 1 so I know the collaboration process and how to start up. Then I put the sticks to the corners I get nothing from the props. The freaking gimbal starts moving like it is wired up to my controller???? Have you heard of this? Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gtUdMXk0BI

I've tried but I guess i need to re download the assistant. I am sorry but not down with all the lingo. The Tx? is that transmitter? I will read through the manual step by step again and try all their steps. This should fire up right out of the box without even using the NAZA software.

Let me know if you think of anything else. Thats crazy though. why would it move the gimbal??? did you happen to watch my clip?

Thanks my man

Yes .... Tx = Transmitter (and Rx = Receiver in radio talk)

Yes, it 'should' just work out of the box with no major setting up, but sometimes stuff happens. ;)
It appears that either, or possibly both .... your Tx and Phantom are confused/improperly programmed and hopefully just need to be re-flashed.

The Naza is actually a program/module within the Assistant that you can activate later on 'after' you have some flight time.
For now you will be best advised to just use the stock Phantom mode and ignore Naza for now.
It's not needed to go into for the purpose of just reloading the firmware and setting up the Tx.

Download the correct Assistant and firmware for your computer (PC or Mac) and install the Phantom and RC assistant programs on your computer.
Be sure to download and install install the Windows driver if needed.

Use the Phantom Assistant to update the firmware on your Phantom with it connected to your PC and turned on.
Also use the Assistant to check and make sure it is using the latest firmware via it's Upgrade menu.

Then use the RC assistant to calibrate the Tx sticks with the TX connected to your PC and turned on .... also make sure to click the mode 2 and FCC boxes on that screen. (Your Tx should beep twice when you turn it on)

Then ..... with the Phantom once again connected to your PC and turned on, and the Tx also turned on, once again calibrate Tx sticks using the Phantom Assistant.

Instructions are included in the text panels of both programs for the above.

Don't confuse Naza for doing any of this.
Although Naza is part of the package ..... as indicated, it's something that provides additional and advanced features, that you turn on later (using the Phantom Assistant) 'after' you are familiar with flying the Phantom.

You then will need to calibrate the compass.
When you do this be sure to have the nose/camera pointing down for the last step, and not pointing up.
Also ... anytime you have the Phantom turned on the gimbal lock needs to be removed.

You didn't happen to plug your gimble into X2 on Naza did you?

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
I went through all of the methods that flyer had said and no luck. When I was going through all of the updates The gimbal will make a grinding sound acting like it is in a bind with itself. I don't know what to do. I guess I will have to call up DJI and be the 56th caller in line.

Please let me know if there are any ideas.

That gimbal behavior in the video is normal though... you were trying to yaw with the controller and the camera was just responding with DJI's preprogrammed yaw compensation.

I do that sometimes after a flight when the motors are just idle to drain the battery down below 8% as suggested to keep the battery healthy... introducing yaw will speed up opposing motors and drain the battery quicker and also makes the camera do exactly as it shows in your video.

I don't know if you are brave enough to pop the top off the P2V+ but I would almost gaurantee you find something is just unplugged and not communicating with the ESCs.

DBS said:
That gimbal behavior in the video is normal though... you were trying to yaw with the controller and the camera was just responding with DJI's preprogrammed yaw compensation.

I do that sometimes after a flight when the motors are just idle to drain the battery down below 8% as suggested to keep the battery healthy... introducing yaw will speed up opposing motors and drain the battery quicker and also makes the camera do exactly as it shows in your video.

I don't know if you are brave enough to pop the top off the P2V+ but I would almost gaurantee you find something is just unplugged and not communicating with the ESCs.

This is an important point - it looks odd but the gimbal is actually doing what it should be for that stick input, but I can see how it might seem incorrect lol.

I know when I got my P2V out the box I did an advanced calibration on the advice of the dealer from whom I bought it, then took it out into the middle of a field to calibrate it before flying and everything was great. The advanced calibration bit was advised to just reset everything after it had a long journey from China to the dealers, then to me, then do the normal calibration before flight.

Guys. I'm not proud of this. I was at such a loss because to my knowledge all you do so start the UAV is put the Joysticks in the corners and hold and it will fire up like my original phantom. What the Vision plus made me do was put sticks to Bottom left/Bottom Right, Top Left/ Top Right, Top right/Top left, then Bottom Right/ Bottom Left...... Thats when the magic happened. I had to go around to all four corners. Never heard such a beautiful sound. Feel very stupid. Thank you all for your help, I'll try not to panic next time. What a great place to come for advice/experiences.

First flight went great. Go easy on my editing I just threw something together so my parents could have it before I left their place ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9L6haWFqwo

Mattyb713 said:
Guys. I'm not proud of this. I was at such a loss because to my knowledge all you do so start the UAV is put the Joysticks in the corners and hold and it will fire up like my original phantom. What the Vision plus made me do was put sticks to Bottom left/Bottom Right, Top Left/ Top Right, Top right/Top left, then Bottom Right/ Bottom Left...... Thats when the magic happened. I had to go around to all four corners. Never heard such a beautiful sound. Feel very stupid. Thank you all for your help, I'll try not to panic next time. What a great place to come for advice/experiences.

First flight went great. Go easy on my editing I just threw something together so my parents could have it before I left their place ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9L6haWFqwo

I've heard that this is a new coded access sequence that DJI have introduced to make newbies read the manual all the way through the end before taking to the air ;)

No, seriously I've never heard of anybody having to do that before and would suspect you still need some calibrating done on you're remote.

Guys, I'm excited to have found this thread! I am having this issue, but honestly the OPs "fix" sounds a bit like BS. Does anyone else have any input?

Guys, I'm excited to have found this thread! I am having this issue, but honestly the OPs "fix" sounds a bit like BS. Does anyone else have any input?

Sounds like his controller isn't calibrated.

Both sticks down and to the middle starts the motors on all 4 of my phantoms.

Reactions: fishmando
Sounds like his controller isn't calibrated.

Both sticks down and to the middle starts the motors on all 4 of my phantoms.
I ended up having a battery error, so it was allowing the H4-3D to react as if the bird was moving, but the motors weren't firing up. Very odd, put my other bat in and it worked!

Reactions: crash1sttime

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic